Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tubular VS Stock manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tubular VS Stock manifold

Hello
Just wondering if anyone out there has a tubular manifold with the stock turbo? I have the opportunity to get a few of these, but I'm not sure they are such a great idea after reading a bit more about them on this site, etc. For example, Buschur does not use a tubular setup with it's upgraded turbos..... I've read that a tubular manifold is needed to go above 1.2 bar effectively...any thoughts?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
Hello
Just wondering if anyone out there has a tubular manifold with the stock turbo? I have the opportunity to get a few of these, but I'm not sure they are such a great idea after reading a bit more about them on this site, etc. For example, Buschur does not use a tubular setup with it's upgraded turbos..... I've read that a tubular manifold is needed to go above 1.2 bar effectively...any thoughts?
You definitely do not need a tubular manifold to boost > 1.2 bar as many of us do it every day with the stock turbo.

DNP claims their equal-length manifold will not crack. I still plan to coat mine with Jet-Hot 2000, but I'll let you know if their claim holds true over the long haul.

I am hoping to do some A/B testing vs. the stock header to answer some common questions about how tubular manifolds perform with the stock turbo (this will probably happen in another month or so though).
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ez76
You definitely do not need a tubular manifold to boost > 1.2 bar as many of us do it every day with the stock turbo.

DNP claims their equal-length manifold will not crack. I still plan to coat mine with Jet-Hot 2000, but I'll let you know if their claim holds true over the long haul.

I am hoping to do some A/B testing vs. the stock header to answer some common questions about how tubular manifolds perform with the stock turbo (this will probably happen in another month or so though).
Who is DNP? Got website?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.dnperformance.com/evo.html
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:27 PM
Account Disabled

this is the one you bought?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ez76
Too bad their flanges aren't stainless to match the polished piping.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by marksae
Too bad their flanges aren't stainless to match the polished piping.
Yeah, word...it doesn't look all that good to me.....check out the ones I'm gonna get, similar price
http://home.comcast.net/~brianmsmothers/evoheader.jpg

Last edited by TurboMaestro; Jul 12, 2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the JIC manifold for USDM (no fittings on the exhaust crossovers) looks stout and well made.. we'll see how long it takes before it cracks or gives me trouble.. Then again, I have 20000 miles on stock tires brakes and clutch so I'm obviously not as hard on my car as other people might be..
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Check out the borla header. Ceramic coated and equal length . I ordered mine from evostore.com this is a pic from them
http://store2.yimg.com/I/yhst-6811299808595_1799_939244
Cant beat the million mile warrentte from borla .
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quickshift
Check out the borla header. Ceramic coated and equal length . I ordered mine from evostore.com this is a pic from them
http://store2.yimg.com/I/yhst-6811299808595_1799_939244
Cant beat the million mile warrentte from borla .
i don't like the design, but i do like the ceramic coating... i'll go to a cast manifold ceramic coated....
Old Jul 12, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have a dyno comparison between any of these manifolds and the stock manifold?

Also, forgive my ignorance but what are the provisions on the DNR manifold right after the head flange? I don't believe that I have seen those on the stock manifold...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still not convinced that a tubular exhaust manifold gives enough of an improvement in power and spoolup on our stock turbos to be worth the money and the risk of part longevity. No one seems to change just the exhaust manifold to a tubular unit and do back-to-back dyno runs.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
this is the one you bought?
right, on order
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
Does anyone have a dyno comparison between any of these manifolds and the stock manifold?

Also, forgive my ignorance but what are the provisions on the DNR manifold right after the head flange? I don't believe that I have seen those on the stock manifold...
They are an Evo VII design, Everyone has said they are "anti-lag" fittings, but it looks like air injection fittings for an emissions system or EGR component.. in any case, the JIC USDM 8 manifold has the crossovers but doesn't have the fittings on them.. In any case, the only OE engine I've seen that had it was on the JDM 7 and older models..
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by marksae
I'm still not convinced that a tubular exhaust manifold gives enough of an improvement in power and spoolup on our stock turbos to be worth the money and the risk of part longevity. No one seems to change just the exhaust manifold to a tubular unit and do back-to-back dyno runs.
I think in some respects your right.. Ceramic coating will help that since retaining the heat means more expanding gasses, and therefore using that energy to assist spooling the turbo.. I think when your dealing with modifications like this, its all about combination, in and of itself, the aftermarket manifold may offer very little, but combine it with a Stainless O2 housing, Cams, ported head, better flowing manifold, etc.. you will find the gains to be fairly substantail since it only serves to reduce one possible restriction..

On a normally aspirated engine, tube diameter, length and collector diameter contribute to the ability of the engine to scavange (draw more exhaust out of the engine) I can see this being somewhat valid also on a turbocharged engine, however the nature of a turbocharged engine means that there's less of a likelyhood that leftover exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber can contaminate the new charge.. So pairing it with a better cam combination, and lowered restrictions on a less restrictive exhaust manifold could result in better gains than not using the aftermarket manifold.

Now, here's the rub.. Its not necessarily cost effective to do all this optimization to get to apower level that can be attained by a turbo upgrade.. But what you don't sacrifice by going this route is drivability and other compromises. Not to mention, there are some racing classes that prevent you from changing the engines displacement, or using larger turbos.. this would not apply to this route.

Quick Reply: Tubular VS Stock manifold