Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Able to hold more boost with toluene????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toulene 114
xylene 117

to figure the octane in a mixed tank, just multiply the # of gallons at 93, multiply the # of gallons at 114 or 117, add the two together and divide by total galloons. does that make sense?

example:

3 gallons of 93 = 279
2 gallons of 114 = 228
228+279 = 507
507/5 = 101.4 octane

i usually dont mix any greater than 3 to 1. porsche, turbo vette, and audi guys have been doing this for years, especially where you can only get 91.

i use toulene all the time. i even got a wholesale account at SW for it. i use atf for lube.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:31 AM
Account Disabled

This is going to make me unpopular:
Tolulene and Xylene are extremely toxic chemicals. And I mean EXTREMELY TOXIC. We had to have special OSHA classes specific to these chemicals at my old work, so if you are going to handle them, DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR SKIN. Tolulene enters the blood stream through the skin VERY quickly and can cause nervous system disorders pretty easily, as well as reproductive system disorders and a type of blood poisoning. My trade actually WILL NOT work with tolulene any more because it is just too dangerous and generally bad for you. Inhaling the fumes have nearly the same affect as skin contact as well....just thought I would let you guys know what you are playing with here.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 06:25 AM

good stuff, but be careful

Originally Posted by xstang
I may be off here, but I have noticed that my car seems to hold and achieve more boost with toluene than without. I had my boost controller set at a peak of 21psi and tapering from there to 18.5-19 or so . I had a 1/4 tank in the car and added a ½ gallon of toluene to my tank. On the way to work, I found an open stretch of road and nailed it. I was spiking at 22.5lbs and it held 21 to redline. I always test boost spikes the same way... low rpms 3k and floor it.

Here are a couple more thoughts:

The 21 psi was set at 90+ on a hot day - The second run was 75-80 degrees first thing in the morning 6a...

The octane may be keeping the ECU from pulling timing which would allow the car to hold more boost. Not sure if this is the answer though because I ran up to 23 psi on pump/93 octane without any knock or timing pulled on my custom tune which was data logged by AL.
I would think that the extra 3lbs of boost would lean things out a bit and possibly pull timing as a result. The extra octane would help, but i'd think more fuel would be in order. Toluene works well, but it dries things up quite a bit. a good remedy for this is to add a cup of mytery oil to your mix. Toluene can cause damage, but it is a useful tool. I do not use it in my evo, but do in my grand national. 4gallons of 91/93 + 1 gallon of toluene + 1 cup mytery oil has worked well for me. It will eventually eat things, like your fuel pump etc...
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.easyperformance.com/Octan...d_Frameset.htm

I lost my favorite one...
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
This is going to make me unpopular:
Tolulene and Xylene are extremely toxic chemicals. And I mean EXTREMELY TOXIC. We had to have special OSHA classes specific to these chemicals at my old work, so if you are going to handle them, DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR SKIN. Tolulene enters the blood stream through the skin VERY quickly and can cause nervous system disorders pretty easily, as well as reproductive system disorders and a type of blood poisoning. My trade actually WILL NOT work with tolulene any more because it is just too dangerous and generally bad for you. Inhaling the fumes have nearly the same affect as skin contact as well....just thought I would let you guys know what you are playing with here.
Well put
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by morefaster
Well put
I don't want any people running around with bad swimmers b/c they wanted 5 more octane points....these chemicals are used in painting, ever seen an old painter? (They don't exist)
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and in the manufacture of pump gasoline.

Yes, please be careful with this stuff folks!
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

you can use lucas fuel injector cleaner as lubricant too, worked great for me, and I trust lucas. Turn a bottle of it upside down and tell me it isn't mostly oils... thickest injector cleaner I've ever seen...