Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

royal purple

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
royal purple

I'm running royal purple oil and I was wondering if it would be safe to not change it until 8,000 miles. They advertise that the oil can last up to 12,000 miles but still change the oil filter every 3-4k miles.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evos tend to burn oil, even mobile one can go 8000 mile between oil changes but with the evo you have to change it every 3000, i change mine every 2500 that engine is to hopped up to do it any other way. i would go back to mobile one due to the fact it is the specific oil recomended for that motor.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

i believe 4k would be acceptable... if you look at the owner's manual.. its definetly not 3k interval but it doesnt hurt..
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

ew royal purple
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

thats just what i was told by myservice dept. and if you think about it a five gallon jug of mobile one is 20 dollars at walmart and my mitsu dealer does the oil change, filter, all the inspections, and wash my car for $13.99 thats not a bad deal why not change it every 3000 miles?

Last edited by jason@NTEC; Jul 13, 2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason@NTEC
thats just what i was told by myservice dept. and if you think about it a five gallon jug of mobile one is 20 dollars at walmart and my mitsu dealer does the oil change, filter, all the inspections, and wash my car for $13.99 thats not a bad deal why not change it every 3000 miles?
my dealership charges 70.00
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

guess you should use the dealer that the club uses. which dealer charges 70? thats crazy.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

maybe that 70 includes their huge mark up on the mobile one?

Last edited by vletnguyen; Jul 13, 2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason@NTEC

i SERIOUSLY doubt they use synthetic.... you my friend may be killing your turbo.... either they are putting regular oil in your car or recycling synthetic oil... dont assume they know wat they are doing cuz when they did my 9k oil change (and the last), they put in 5-30w oil...

the techs who do oil change dont know crap about evo's.. they just use the regular oil they got
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mifesto
i SERIOUSLY doubt they use synthetic.... you my friend may be killing your turbo.... either they are putting regular oil in your car or recycling synthetic oil... dont assume they know wat they are doing cuz when they did my 9k oil change (and the last), they put in 5-30w oil...

the techs who do oil change dont know crap about evo's.. they just use the regular oil they got

mifesto, I think you need to re-read his post. He's saying he's bringing in his own oil and the dealer is charging him for labor and filter. It is not uncommon to see service departments offer these kind of deals when you bring in your own oil. Also, the manual states that using 5W-30 during colder seasons is fine and even if they put it in your car in the middle of summer it wouldn't hurt your car.

Regarding the mileage interval: I’m changing my oil every 2,500 miles or after every track event. I drive my car pretty darn hard so changing my oil a little earlier than what the manual recommends I think is a cheap insurance policy. Worst case, I ending up wasting a little oil, but I’m more comfortable with that than wasting the integrity of my motor.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

i run the same oil, it'll be going in for the first oil change here on out... i plan on changing it every 3-4k miles or 3 months, which ever comes first... on my other cars, i changed it every 4-5k miles and it wasn't dark like tar... on the evo though, i plan on changing it 1k miles sooner due to the turbo...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto

i bring them five quarts of mobile one to use im sure they're using the right oil.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

[Regarding the mileage interval: I’m changing my oil every 2,500 miles or after every track event. I drive my car pretty darn hard so changing my oil a little earlier than what the manual recommends I think is a cheap insurance policy. Worst case, I ending up wasting a little oil, but I’m more comfortable with that than wasting the integrity of my motor. [/QUOTE]

im with you i change mine every 2500 miles and rotate tires every 5000 miles.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I run 5w-30 year round, changing every 3k with 5 quarts and rotate every other oil change. I just cleared 9k, got the car in January and it hasn't burned a drop of oil.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Royal Purple is excellent stuff, MUCH better than Mobil 1 with a higher flash point, better moly lubricants and the works. I use it in my race car and change the oil out every 6k miles. I would suggest trying to alleviate some of the oil consumption issues with a catch can, and check your oil level every 1000 miles or so to make sure you are not getting low. I would go 4-5k miles no problem with the RP, but you can send a sample of it in to be tested by oil experts and they will send you a detailed analysis and tell you if it could have gone another few thousand miles or so. I have done this twice and both times the RP comes out with flying colors!