Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Warning Boost Gauge Acting Wierd

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Greddy Warning Boost Gauge Acting Wierd

I installed a Greddy Warning Boost Gauge last month and a couple of days ago it started to act up on me. Problem is intermittent. Upon startup, needle would go to 0 (zero) and just stay there. Normally it would settle at around 500mm vac at idle, but in this case, it just hovers around 0 whether I'm under boost or vaccum. Gauge obviously powers up, there are no short/malfunction warnings, all connections seem to be fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I really like the guage - very quick reponse, smooth and hold/warning functions are very nice. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

does it do this after you hooked up the gauge. if so, this could be because you hooked the gauge up on the other side of the FPR (not sure if it is that...the little bronze round thing on the left side of the engine)...sorry i am shot tonight. anyways the gauge will operate fine after the system gets warmed up. the reason why this stays at 0 after the car was run for a while because the FPR stays shut for a little and wont register a vacuum. This really isnt a big deal and this is how i have my gauge hooked up and after a while, you dont even notice it. after about 2 minutes of drivin with it stuck on 0 it will start registering a vacuum. but it will always register boost....no biggie...goodluck though
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. No, gauge worked fine right after install and still does. Problem is intermittent. And when it is "stuck" at zero it registers neither vacuum nor boost. Another thing I noticed is that it goes into a "stuck" mode only after I have been driving for a while, shut the car off and then restarted within an hour or so - like going to a store for example. It does not do this after the car had been sitting around for a long while or in the middle of a drive.

BTW, now I understand why gauge always goes to zero first upon start up and then immediately falls back into vacuum range. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the connection of the piece under the hood. The main unit has 3 plugs on it: one for the guage, one for power, ground, illumination, etc, and one for the boost/vacuum unit under the hood.

If your guage is powering up, it sounds like the unit under the hood (where the vacuum line attaches) is either bad, or the connection to the main box is loose.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. I read over the instructions and bad sensor connection/short triggers a warning light which I do not have. I'm starting to suspect that sending unit is either flakey or is being affected by the hot weather we've been having. Thanks.