Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Vs. Standard Scroll

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the exhaust getting sucked into the intake through the manifold? I'm confused at what you posted
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

bolsen, he isn't talking intake side. Higher pressure at the exhaust port one one cyl than another will reverse flow of gasses at the lower pressue cyl.. it gets pushed in not pulled.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WildRice
bolsen, he isn't talking intake side. Higher pressure at the exhaust port one one cyl than another will reverse flow of gasses at the lower pressue cyl.. it gets pushed in not pulled.
ahhh, OK, I got it now.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well guys this is turning into a great topic. Thanx for everything. I think im going to keep my twin scroll setup. Now if we can get some vendors in here to talk about why they didnt and why they did use it
Old Jul 21, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hey 2K4,hows your spoolup with that GT35r.Im installing mine now.Is it laggy and when do you se 20 psi.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
Hey 2K4,hows your spoolup with that GT35r.Im installing mine now.Is it laggy and when do you se 20 psi.
I actually just got mine today after much debate. But the outcome finally was in my favor. I will be installing it this weekend. But after talking to George at Boost Solutions and HPFreaks and telling them my mods and everything they are expecting full boost by 3500-4000. I will be installing it this weekened and will let you know how it goes. At first i will be running the MAF until i can get George up here to tune the AEM and convert to Speed density which should be in 2 weeks. So i will let you know both ways how it goes. You might have yours done before me so if you do PM me with your mods and the outcome.

Thanx
Chris
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Because they haven't taken the time and money to make a twin scroll turbine housing for their turbo setups. The twin scroll will spool faster and make full boost faster than a single scroll EVERY TIME.

Originally Posted by 95GSXtoEVO8
I would love to hear from some venders regarding the twin scroll vs. standard scroll. How come few venders (only one that I know of) utilize the twin scroll technology, which mitsubishi uses as a selling point for the cars turbo.

?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
I actually just got mine today after much debate. But the outcome finally was in my favor. I will be installing it this weekend. But after talking to George at Boost Solutions and HPFreaks and telling them my mods and everything they are expecting full boost by 3500-4000. I will be installing it this weekened and will let you know how it goes. At first i will be running the MAF until i can get George up here to tune the AEM and convert to Speed density which should be in 2 weeks. So i will let you know both ways how it goes. You might have yours done before me so if you do PM me with your mods and the outcome.

Thanx
Chris
great thread here
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Im in agreement that the t3 housing is too small. BUt the t4 housing is what I want to know about.

The equal length manifold will act as a pulse, as the twin scroll is designed to do, from what I've heard. So maybe that's why neither is worse nor better because they are the same.

Technology or not, old vs new, airflow is airflow.
Actually an equal length manifold will not act as a pulse, you need to read up on your Helmhertz effect my friend. An equal length manifold and unequal length manifold will generate pulses. The twin scroll manifold and turbine housing separate the pulses so they do not interfere with one another, strengthening the kinetic and thermal energy from which the turbine extracts work. An ideal exhaust setup would have nice long, equal length runners with a twin scroll, inverted cone merge collector mated to a twin scroll housing much like on the OEM turbo.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
Actually an equal length manifold will not act as a pulse, you need to read up on your Helmhertz effect my friend. An equal length manifold and unequal length manifold will generate pulses. The twin scroll manifold and turbine housing separate the pulses so they do not interfere with one another, strengthening the kinetic and thermal energy from which the turbine extracts work. An ideal exhaust setup would have nice long, equal length runners with a twin scroll, inverted cone merge collector mated to a twin scroll housing much like on the OEM turbo.
Helmhertz Is that like some type of rental car?

FYI I don't know the answers to it all, that's why I'm trying to learn
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Helmhertz Is that like some type of rental car?
I think he means Helmholtz...
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
I think he means Helmholtz...
Word

Pressure wave tuning, fun reading.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

here is an ignorant question...which aftermarket setups (kits) are twin scroll. when you change the turbo setup does that eliminate it?

thanks
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedfromaWRX
here is an ignorant question...which aftermarket setups (kits) are twin scroll. when you change the turbo setup does that eliminate it?

thanks
The ATP one is Twin Scroll
The RNR one is old T3 style
the AMS one is old T3 style
The Buschur one old T3 style

Thats about all that im sure of. I ended up getting the ATP kit then got a twin scroll tubular manifold to go with it.

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Vs. Standard Scroll