Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35/40R .63 and Manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's the post on my custom IC:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=hybrid
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bishiboy
I thought the same thing when I got my intercooler, which is very similar to the hyperflow. When I saw it I imediately planned on re-designing the endtanks. But after I ran it, what a major improvement. I'm sure re-designing the endtanks would improve flow toward the top of the IC, but I don't think the improved cooling would be worth the cost.
Endtank design is of the utmost importance- we also believe (and prove) billegerently big isnt better- well better for lag I guess

Comments are made in generalities and Im not talking bad about any one in particular IC
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bishiboy
I thought the same thing when I got my intercooler, which is very similar to the hyperflow. When I saw it I imediately planned on re-designing the endtanks. But after I ran it, what a major improvement. I'm sure re-designing the endtanks would improve flow toward the top of the IC, but I don't think the improved cooling would be worth the cost.
Well thats good to hear. Though i have faith in AMS! I was so close to getting there kit but the price didnt agree with me at the time. Anyway so you have been pretty happy with your intercooler?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I would have to say each particular vehicle has it's needs. Mine runs great with this set-up. Not to say it couldn't run better with different endtanks, but I don't think redirecting flow towards the top, or decreasing internal size would make a significant difference.
Bar and plate isn't as efficient as tube and fin but flows more.
When I mounted mine, I didn't change my boost controller (which was set at 19.5psi). On my test run, I hit 25psi and blew off my IC pipe at the intake.
This indicated to me that the stock IC is more restricting.
I don't have temp numbers to compare cooling efficientcies, but I know this IC improved performance significantly over stock.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys thanx for the comments! Bishboy you did a great job on your intercooler. Very impressive. David thanx for responding to the post. What would you say a good choice would be for a intercooler. The other one i was looking at was the new HKS? Have you have personal bad experience on the Hyperflow intercooler? Do you know anything about the pressure drop? Thanx agian
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Hey guys thanx for the comments! Bishboy you did a great job on your intercooler. Very impressive. David thanx for responding to the post. What would you say a good choice would be for a intercooler. The other one i was looking at was the new HKS? Have you have personal bad experience on the Hyperflow intercooler? Do you know anything about the pressure drop? Thanx agian

That IC looks great to me. I know it's not top top notch but its for less than half the price. You might loose 2 or what 5 whp if not less. I might be wrong but if you dont like it sale it back on ebay you wont even loose more than $50. I would keep it and see how it looks on your car. Some other IC look too ricy to me. by the way chris any time you feel their is a part that you dont like please send it to me I will have sweet home for it here
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
That IC looks great to me. I know it's not top top notch but its for less than half the price. You might loose 2 or what 5 whp if not less. I might be wrong but if you dont like it sale it back on ebay you wont even loose more than $50. I would keep it and see how it looks on your car. Some other IC look too ricy to me. by the way chris any time you feel their is a part that you dont like please send it to me I will have sweet home for it here
Thanx Mayer. Im gonna get up early tomorrow and throw everything in. Too bad you dont live closer there is a Big Mitsu gathering coming up. Long *** drive to Mt St Helens. Once there everybody eats and talks and this and that then drives back. All back roads that are lets say very fun to drive on! Normally we have a good turnout.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Hi I was actually talking the ideals if Intercooler design and really wasnt thinking of any one IC in particular I havent flowed your particular IC and I agree 100% with bishiboy in the terms that its the stockers internal pathways are the restriction and not its size. There very well could be good enough gains in cooling and internal pathway of bishis IC to negate the comprimising endtank design- But IIRC he fabbed and designed this himself and thats props right there

PS good choice on the ATP kit there will be many balistic series GTs spooling hard and tearing up the streets very shortly.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:36 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I hope I didn't come off too harsh, I just wanted to comment on the end-tank designs in general because I see a lot of intercoolers being made this way. You might be suprised how much power it can cost you. If you're making 350 it might only be a few horsepower, but push the airflow to 500+hp and you might be seeing 3-4 psi of pressure drop. That means your turbo might have to make 30psi of boost at it's outlet to see 25psi at the intake manifold. If you're at the point of maxing a turbo out, it might cost you 25-30 horsepower.

-Martin
Old Jul 23, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

2k4evoviii- i would like some more info on how that turbo spools & when you hit full boost & maybe some airflow #'s @ 20 to 24psi like lbs/min. i really like that turbo setup, if you could answer these questions that would be great.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMS
I hope I didn't come off too harsh, I just wanted to comment on the end-tank designs in general because I see a lot of intercoolers being made this way. You might be suprised how much power it can cost you. If you're making 350 it might only be a few horsepower, but push the airflow to 500+hp and you might be seeing 3-4 psi of pressure drop. That means your turbo might have to make 30psi of boost at it's outlet to see 25psi at the intake manifold. If you're at the point of maxing a turbo out, it might cost you 25-30 horsepower.

-Martin

Yaykes. I can see that happening. Hey AMS would you mind explaning to us what makes the end tanks in the IC better? I mean should they be lower or in the middle for example? I am just wondering because I am about to buy an IC and i want (hope) the best results

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what is faulty about the endtank design? it looks a bit similar to buschur's which is what i plan on running, what is your critique?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:23 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Proper air distribution. It also helps to give the air room to slow down and distribute itself across the core. I'm not a big fan of small endtanks. There is also something called contra-vena effect (fluid dynamics) which basically changes the flow through the pipe depending on the transition from the pipe to the open chamber. The best end-tank would be cast and have a nice big radiused transition from the inlet/outlet pipe to the end-tank itself. A sharp 90deg transition reduces the actuall cross section flow area of the pipe. That's one of the reasons I use 3" inlet/outlet on some of my other intercooler cores, because I know the effective diameter wil be smaller under high flow conditions.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

AMS is your fmic a simple bolt on? no cutting or triming of bumper and undertray etc... Also will it help the turbo spool a little sooner??? Sorry for all the questions. I'm interested in getting one soon. THANKS!!!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Our fmic kit fits beautifully. There is NO trimming of the bumper required at all. It fits on there like a dream. The mounting brackets and the location of the inlets/outlets are engineered perfectly. The only trimming required, as is with most aftermarket ICs, is the small portion of the undertray where it rises up like 2". Ive got the undertray trimming down to a very small amount after doing it 2-3 times. You could probibly take the part you cut out, and plastic solder it back onto the tray lower and have it clear although I havent tried that yet.

As a mechanic I enjoy installing our intercoolers because they always go on perfectly and without a nitch. Something I cant say for SO many aftermarket car parts out there today.