Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Interesting...Evo engine finding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright....i am going to switch the location since i have some extra vacuum hose laying around and see if there is any differences. It makes sense on the boost readings, but for it to stay at zero for like 5 minutes somewhat concerns me.

To reiterate I have been having some fairly extreme engine problems with fuel cutting or misfires or something. Basically what I am getting at is that perhaps i have accidentally discover the that fuel pressure syllanoid is defective and actually throwing off the FPR enough to cause my engine to be really slow and what not. (or perhaps its the coils)
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

As a short term test, bypass the fuel pressure solenoid completely by running a hose straight from the manifold to the Fuel pressure regulator. See if this fixes your driving problems. After that, plumb in your boost gauge and see if it is accurate and working properly (it should now always be showing vacuum at idle).
The solenoid should only be turning off during engine cranking and the first couple minutes of ide. Just be sure not to do anything with the car until it is at normal operating temperature, as you might have lower fuel pressure than the ECU is expecting it to have.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Alright well the engine started acting up today so i took it in....they replaced the ign coils..(didn;t fix it)...i told them about the fuel pressure syllanoid...they disconnected the hose entirely and pulled the fuel pressure regulator to simulate the fuel pressure syllanoid closing during driving....nothing really changed. Sooo basically its going back on Friday and I am leaving it for a week since I am going on vacation. All I have to say is that it better be fixed. Otherwise further action WILL be taken this time.

I did reroute the boost gauge to the correct location and no vacuum pause stuff of course...but I still am only reacting like 17 Psi. Both the dealership and I have checked the hoses several times for leaks but can't find anything. I am frustrated...
Old Jul 28, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KillaSweep
Alright well the engine started acting up today so i took it in....they replaced the ign coils..(didn;t fix it)...i told them about the fuel pressure syllanoid...they disconnected the hose entirely and pulled the fuel pressure regulator to simulate the fuel pressure syllanoid closing during driving....nothing really changed. Sooo basically its going back on Friday and I am leaving it for a week since I am going on vacation. All I have to say is that it better be fixed. Otherwise further action WILL be taken this time.

I did reroute the boost gauge to the correct location and no vacuum pause stuff of course...but I still am only reacting like 17 Psi. Both the dealership and I have checked the hoses several times for leaks but can't find anything. I am frustrated...

Well of course nothing changed, because your tests didnt change anything. Pulling the hose off of the regulator isn't going to do anything to help, in fact all it guarantees is that you are running 40 psi of fuel pressure (rather than a 40 psi differential). At 17 psi of boost you now only have a 23 psi pressure difference. To take the stock solenoid out of the equation, you HAVE TO run a vacuum line from the manifold straight to the regulator.

As far as the 17 psi, try reducing the hose length from the T to the gauge if possible. If its coiled up at all, uncoil it and cut it to the correct length. Any sharp turns or kinks in the hose will lower the pressure. Other than that you may only be getting 17-18 psi on a regular basis. Unless you have a peak hold gauge, you may not see it hit 19 for that long.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info....yeah the dealership did the syllanoid thing when they just plugged the whole...they figured they would simulate the syllanoid closing at full throttle...i don't know why they though that would do it.

Anyways the gauge hose isn;t very long..maybe 3 feet at most...not kinks...very straight shot to the gauge itself. The gauge used to reach all the way up to 19. It seems like ever since they replaced the wastegate syllanoid that its not reaching full boost. Sometimes it does...but rarely....its usually when i'm in 3rd gear or higher. I don;t know if they screwed up the syllanoid somehow so it doesn;t close all the way...or connected it wrong...or if it is related to this weird *** engine problem that nobody can seem to figure out or fix.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

The engine problem I am having seems to be some sort of fuel cut.....i don;t see how making the car fun a constant 40 Psi of pressure is going to make the car bog and stumble and not even pull to redline. Not really sure what to make of it....i will try bypassing it next time it does it, but I have a feeling its something else.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

it would be interesting to see if a MBC fixed everything....taking a bunch of systems out of the equation. If its a fuel pump problem or something i definitely don;t want to be running a constant 19 psi..i don't think....so maybe that isn;t a good idea...i dunno
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah thanks again for all the suggestions and help...i love this forum