Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

has anyone done a 2.3 stroker on their evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone done a 2.3 stroker on their evo 8?

if you have, what do u think?? or even a stroker kit with a larger turbo??
impressions??
educated guesses??
Old Jul 28, 2004, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

i have heard a lot about strockers on EVOs. quite popular in the UK. most people like them, but there are a few trublesome kits out there that are worth sticking clear of, but there are also some very good ones too. the JUN 2.2 is amazing, will rev like a 2.0 but still give you loads of power. the thing has bin proven by Norris Design (800bhp+) but costs an arm and a leg.

you could build your own, using a 4G64 crank and some strocker pistons (i think the stock EVO rods will fit but they dont offer the best rod ratio). these things are cheap but no one really knows how much the stock crank can take. also you can only rev them to about 7.5k which limits the power a little.

probaly the best kit i have seen so far is the AMS 2.3. they say it will go to 9k no problems and make over 900bhp! cheap to at only $2000. well worth a look.

you realy do need to be running a larger turbo if you want to run a stroker though. the stock turbo is just too small to give you any decent power on a 2.3. Ralliart offered one over here and on the stock turbo they where getting 400lbs ft (pretty good) but only 360bhp! when you think that people here are getting over 400bhp from the stock turbo on 2.0 ltrs and similar, it seems you need to go bigger to get the most from the strocker.

as for the turbos to use, well that depends on what you want. for a very drivable street motor, that still kick some big booty then go for the GT3240. good spool up and will still let you get 550wbhp no problems. you should also see above 500lbs ft.

the problem with these turbos is they are a little too small if you want to push beyoned 7.5k. moses here in the UK was running one on his 2.3 (using the 4G64 crank i think) and was only getting 1.7bar at the top end, but had 2.5bar backpresure! in this case you could go for the GT35R (small housing), still retaining low end responce, but giving you more at the top end.

the biggest thing i have seen on a 2.3 was moses GT35/GT42 hybrid. see the pic for a comparison to a Coke can! the thing is huge!

any more question just ask. hope this helps some.

thanks Chris.
Attached Thumbnails has anyone done a 2.3 stroker on their evo 8?-moses-s-gt3542.jpg  
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

thanks chris,
i do have a bigger turbo....ams' 3076 turbo kit. i think the 2.3 will really wake this thing up. ams' 2.3 is 3100 bucks though, not 2000 dollars.
im just wondering if the 2.3 size, i believe its with the stock crank, how much low end and midrange difference should i see??
can i run more boost on this setup?
the 3076 is a nice turbo, but seems like i have to wait a bit before im at full boost. seems like low end is a bit lacking, especially off idle....hoping the 2.3 will make this whole setup more streetable and more fun to drive....im sure ill gain torque, how much i dont know.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

sorry mate. i was quoting for what i thought was the price for the parts, not fitted.

3076??? is this similer to the 3037? i have lost track of all the Garrett turbo combs out there now. there should be a good increas in low and midrange performance. you will be able to run more booost on this kit. the comp. ratio in .3 down on stock allowing more boost to be run. i read on the AMS thread that they have run it upto about 40psi so the kit is very strong.

if you are running a turbo similar to the 3037 (ie GT30R) you will end up with a very nice set up. people over here are running about 475bhp and around 450lbs ft on 2.3. 3240 on here has a Toda 2.3 (not a nice kit) and the larger HKS 3240 and he says the car is very drivable so with the smaller turbo on there you will be well away.

thanks Chris.

PS. what is your current set up?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:51 AM

what about TODA 2323 kit ?
Does it worth it?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

We offer a 2.4 motor that will rev to 8500 without any problems. It is a complete bottom end that will bolt right into your car without any problems. You can also keep your stock engine so there is no core charge or anything. A great thing if you ever need to go back to stock, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
We offer a 2.4 motor that will rev to 8500 without any problems. It is a complete bottom end that will bolt right into your car without any problems. You can also keep your stock engine so there is no core charge or anything. A great thing if you ever need to go back to stock, etc.
Price for the bottom end? Is it possible to go even larger on the bore than what you guys are doing?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

It is probably possible, but at the cost of possible reliability issues. We recommend the set up we sell as it has worked great.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

RnR,
With the larger bore size on the 2.4L, what head gasket are you using on that block?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldn't go for the TODA kit as it uses the stock 4G64 crank and rods i think! you can only take the stock crank to 7.5k and noone realy knows how much it will take. also the rods dont look as strong as the EVO's. better of (and cheaper) finding a crank yourself and running strocker rods and pistons. if you want to know more speak to 3240 as he has it in his EVO. i think he is making 550wbhp and over 500lbs ft of torque on a HKS 3240.

my advice would be to go for the RnR block, or the AMS strocker as both look very good.

thanks Chris.

bit of a side note, but what about a 2.0ltr using the 4G64 block? you could have the block skimmed or run very long rods! bet that would be a screemer LOL.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Stay away from Toda. I purchased the kit and wound up having to using different rods (Pauter). It's over priced and, except for the pistons, poor quality. Go with AMS or Boost Solutions. If you have the cash the JUN system is top notch. My power on C16 is now at about 600whp and torque is over 500.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

3240. nice numbers mate. your car is turning out to be a real monster. hows it like to drive? whats the spool up like?

thanks Chris.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

What's the price of the JUN, RNR stocker/blocks?

What about the Tomei's kit/genesis engine?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

i think its $4,500 for a complete short block from RnR. i also think you keep your old block so you can swap it back if you sell for a newer model, which is nice. check out thier site or PM Ryan. i think the JUN 2.2 kit is about 5K and you only get the crank, rods and pistons. the latter are not that great, Norris Design i think said they sound like a London cab (if you dont know what they sound like, its not very nice) and recomends his strocker pistons. but the JUN set up is strong, taken to over 800bhp and the RnR short block is looking very good to.

thanks Chris.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Chris,
The car is pretty wild to drive. On 91 octane I'm making about 440whp (Dyno jet) and the spool up isn't much worse than stock. The C16 map is going to take some getting used to as I'm constantly hitting fuel cutoff (red-line) because it's difficult to shift fast enough. The only down side to this stroker kit is the 7500 rpm red-line. Toda has told us that the 4g64 crank is able to handle about 8200 rpm's but I'm not willing to push it that high. I'd go with Jun if I had to do it again even though it's pricey. Jun has proven that it can handle 9000 rpm's with the advantages of a stroker (torque), best of both worlds IMO. We're getting ready to fire-up the water injection system and the anti lag option of the Autronic. I'll post some more dyno sheets soon. Take care.

Quick Reply: has anyone done a 2.3 stroker on their evo 8?