Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

505 whp on pump gas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
The only thing that scares me to death on h2o injection is the possibility of running out of water and then running all that advanced timing and boost. BOOM. I like the idea of low water warning. But the system would really need to very reliable before I would consider it.
It's scary if you run that much boost all the time man. For daily driving, why not lower the boost. I would up the boost when I go out for a fun run during the weekend. You can anticpate the fluid level and check everything. But I wouldnt run 25 psi all the time anyways.

Woah, this is awesome, imaging this setup with some race gas mix in. THat would be really nice... Talking about weekend warrior!!!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

The great thing about this setup is YOU DON'T NEED RACE GAS. With the right water/methanol mix, you effectively replace 100+ octane.

HKS 272's, evoate
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

That is much ownage, impressive (and pretty damned scary) numbers
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Who makes the water injection kit and how much is it? Did you have to drill a hole on the elbow to the intake manifold and mount the sprayer or what? Awesome
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Great results, keep us posted! Would be a sweet setup if you could have the water injection armed whenever you switch to a higher boost setting with an electronic boost controller, and then revert back to the lower setting when the level gets low...
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:56 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

The pump is good up to 160psi and the system has a low fluid level LED to warn you when it gets low.

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
The only thing that scares me to death on h2o injection is the possibility of running out of water and then running all that advanced timing and boost. BOOM. I like the idea of low water warning. But the system would really need to very reliable before I would consider it.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 03:02 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TampaTurbo
Who makes the water injection kit and how much is it? Did you have to drill a hole on the elbow to the intake manifold and mount the sprayer or what? Awesome

We're working with a company to develope the kit for the EVO8. Yes you have to drill a hole in the IC piping. We will be offering a core exchange program where we send you the modified piping and IC sprayer tank (that now holds fluid for the WI kit) and send us back your stock stuff.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
We're working with a company to develope the kit for the EVO8. Yes you have to drill a hole in the IC piping. We will be offering a core exchange program where we send you the modified piping and IC sprayer tank (that now holds fluid for the WI kit) and send us back your stock stuff.

That sounds like a great idea Martin, but what about those of us who have aftermarket Upper intercooler pipes? Can we just send them to you and have you drill and tap the line for us? Also, I know this might be a little early to ask but around how much would a kit like this costs? Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

some ECU's will run the water injection system for you. this means you can map in the water when it is needed instead of all the time, or on a rev switch. so you use water much more economicaly LOL. this also means that the ECU can retard timing and reduce boost when it is running low on water!

Chris.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

This sounds like a great idea. Where do i sign up
Old Jul 29, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

This is cool but as mentioned before when would you think it would be released and how much? Becuase if it will be awhile, those of us who want to continue building the car like the IC kit and piping wouldnt want to wait too long for the kit if its going to be a long time and then maybe send you the upgraded piping to be tapped or whatever later. Otherwise, I will wait. And as far as the upper IC pipe for those that have a Buscher upper IC pipe already or want one (I'm almost ready to do this), what happens to these if they were to be exchanged for another pipe that goes back to the stock setup?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:12 AM

Well, one of the members of my local autocross just ran out of water in his injection kit on his wrx and it doesen't look good, he was running extra timing thanks to the water injection. I don't know how bad it was, but he's going to do a compression test to find out. So, if you buy a system get failsafes. The derekdevises kit (I have sitting on my toolbox) is controlled by the AEM EMS and detects if you run out and it will add fuel and pull timing to compensate. This system by AMS sounds similar as far as the failsafes. Keep in mind Methanol is extremely flammable, so don't put it in a container that wasn't designed for fuel. And Methanol easts through a variety of plastics and metals, so make sure your kit is designed to handle it first.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Whoah, thanks for the info.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldn't worry about the meth as far as the engine goes. if you think of the volume of hot air passing through your intake track then any small amounts of meth will just evapoutate. also as long as the kit is designed for the use of alcohol, then the lines and pump shopuld also be up to it. can you confurm this AMS?

thanks Chris.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 08:58 AM

Yes, finding a kit to pump the methanol is important. The Derekdevises kit has methanol safe plastics/lines and pump. Methanol can be used as supplemental fuel, essentially if you wanted to run full boost like you would on C16, you can do that with methanol on your stock fuel system. The guy who designed the Derekdevises kit runs a Supra with a T78 on full boost on pump gas. There are lot's of Supras running this kit, running 10's on pump gas. The guy who designed it is a genious, he's currently building a propane and methanol fueled Supra.

Quick Reply: 505 whp on pump gas