Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO8 coolant recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO8 coolant recommendations?

Hello All,

Now that I've just seen a thread concerning helping the EVO cool better, I've decided to try to seek some understanding on the EVO coolant. I'm the type of person that 'likes' to change coolant once per year. So...my first questions, with so many coolants out on the market, is which one is 'best / recommended' for the EVO?

My second question is I've seen some opinions and some articles which point to just neutralizing the current coolant by adding some neutralizer additive to the coolant. Its my understanding that this additive is basically the same additive that's put in the coolant one buys from a parts store, but is there such a product already avaliable?

Additionally, I've sourced some really good pH strips to help test the pH level of the coolant. At what level of pH does one want to change the coolant, or add the additive (if it can even be found?)?

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could put some water wetter in there. I heard that stuff works. Only if you live somewhere warm.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
you could put some water wetter in there. I heard that stuff works. Only if you live somewhere warm.
Somewhere warm??? Like, say, Tampa???
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

lol, like anywhere below virginia. Or girfriends bossoms.

I'm saying that because water wetter has a different characteristic than antifreeze and it will take in water and freeze.

I don't know, something about their molecular structure, blah blah blah.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the summer - DI water & Water Wetter
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Distilled water and some sort of "wetting" additive when there is no chance of going below freezing. The "wetting" additive makes the water more slippery and aids in water pump lubrication. By being more slippery, there are less air pockets, which become steam pocket, which are bad. There seems to be some sort of waxy type additive in Waterwetter. I have a bottle which leaked. As it evaporated, it left a pink wax sediment. When I touched it with my fingers, it melted into a slippery liquid.
Since it never gets below freezing here, I run distilled water and waterwetter year round.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

in the summer run the minimum mix of coolant (15%) plus distilled water and water wetter. it definitely works-- I have digital temp on my CBR to prove it.

if it freezes where you live BE SURE to switch back to 50/50 coolant/distilled water before the freeze comes or you'll regret it.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bishiboy
Distilled water and some sort of "wetting" additive when there is no chance of going below freezing. The "wetting" additive makes the water more slippery and aids in water pump lubrication. By being more slippery, there are less air pockets, which become steam pocket, which are bad. There seems to be some sort of waxy type additive in Waterwetter. I have a bottle which leaked. As it evaporated, it left a pink wax sediment. When I touched it with my fingers, it melted into a slippery liquid.
Since it never gets below freezing here, I run distilled water and waterwetter year round.
You are correct, H2O wetter actually reduces the surface tension of water so you eliminate the steam pockets (I believe the term is nucleaic boiling), this eliminates "hot spots" in the cylinder head. Redline's water wetter is a great product (it is also used by a ton of professional race teams here in the US. Silkolene also makes an additive as well that is apparently used by some F1 teams.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don`t use less than 30% of additive because of the corrosion factor.
If I were you I would put 35% of Mitsu additive + 65% of Distilled water + Water Wetter.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

anybody with comments about the 'pH' level that coolant should be at?

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

ph level... being too sophisticated. you should look it up on the back of the anti freeze bottle. they have that Ph level on there with a nice graphics and what not.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

better yet, here you go:

http://www.phmeters.com/New_Folder/a...ation_note.htm

and if you're SOOO lazy that you can't click that, here you go:

"The alkalinity of an antifreeze/water mix varies because of the additives used and the ingredient ratio but should be between the pH range of 8 and 11. The average antifreeze pH value is 10.5. When the antifreeze is mixed with water and added to the cooling system, the pH decreases to 8.5 to 9. A higher pH level is not always better because some new long-lasting coolants have a pH of 8.3. As long as the pH value stays stable, the cooling system is fine."
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

and if you must test it, doctor, here you go:

http://www.phmeters.com/IQ120_IQ125_..._spotlight.htm
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

gee...thanks Wally ~The Beaver

j/k

thanks for the input. jcnel.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Spoke to some Royal Purple reps last weekend, they said you will see best cooling efficiency with one bottle of their purple ice (or water wetter) and just fill the rest of the coolant system with distilled water. I live in Texas, will probably add a little antifreeze into the equation. This was mentioned in another thread http://www.evanscooling.com/main20.htm . Anyone thinking about or already running this stuff?

Quick Reply: EVO8 coolant recommendations?