Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are there any companies like Shep Racing that bulid up t-cases ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any companies like Shep Racing that bulid up t-cases ???

My t-case went out and i am wondering if anyone like shepeard racing builds up stronger t cases at all. If you have done this or know at all please post up
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

This may not be much help as I can't remember the name.

However someone I met a couple weeks back mentioned that a dealer messed up a customers EVO and took it to a guy in Kalamazoo, MI to rebuild the transfer case. I can't remember the name of that guy. I'll try and find out and let you know.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Aight...got some info here. Hopefully this guy can help. One of the guys at the shop recommened him. Check out this website and either email or call John, Owner of Team Rip Engineering.

http://www.teamrip.com/index.html

hope this helps and good luck
Old Jul 30, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks !
Old Jul 30, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

i went to this sight...i was more interested in what they might be able to do with the lousy transmission they stick us with in the evo....
sent them an email, waiting for reply....
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evomind
i went to this sight...i was more interested in what they might be able to do with the lousy transmission they stick us with in the evo....
sent them an email, waiting for reply....

What info did you ask for and keep us posted. I personally don't know and had never heard of Team Rip before. I bumped into a guy at a Detailing shop who owns a Talon. He highly recommened this guy in case I ran into TC or Tranny problems. Let us know...thanks
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think you need to get a new TC to build on. As of now no one sells the internals of a TC. Mitsu only sells it as a unit.

Someone correct me if IM wrong.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evomind
lousy transmission they stick us with in the evo....
Why do you think the transmission is lousy?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Jon at TRE has an entire brand new EVO 8 tranny and tcase that he bought to take apart and study. Hes that dedicated. Ive seen the parts there myself. This man is a ****ing genius.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

ever consider just cyrogenically freezing the stock parts??? it makes a big difference from what i've researched so far... some ppl swear by it... i know i swear by my cyrogenic Blue Steel guitar strings brighter tone, longer lasting...
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

i think the trans is kinda lousy because a performance car shouldnt have any issues of grindind, not being able to shift as fast as you can, being limited to how fast u shift by the mechanical limitations of the tranny and supporting hardware...
i have done all the mods i can think of ...clutch, these bushings, those bushings, short shifter.....
if u wanna know what a great performance trans feels like, drive a car with a t-56 in it...tell me if that grinds, or anything else that adversly affects performance driving, or any driving for that matter.....you can slam those gears all day long, never "miss a shift."
i put a t-56 in my cobra, been driving stick for 20 years, so its not me....
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

oh, i forgot...the info i had asked them about was referring to the trans work they advertise and was wondering if those parts and services were available for the evo8 trans....im not sure what trannies are the same with what....so i asked...
they have a pretty good site....
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

why not go to Shep himself if you are looking for someone like him? he already did at least 1 evo tranny that i know of and i know that he have posted here before that he will do t-cases for the evo .
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Well, looking purely at the physics of things, something has to give somewhere and since you can't spin the tires in this car as easily as in your RWD Cobra, the first thing to usually give is the clutch. After you take care of that "problem", the gearbox and t-case is next. I think maybe you should change the gear oil every third oil change at least, just to keep on top of things and not get surprised at the track.

I still stand by my opinion that when you launch an AWD car with a good level of power, something will pop. Have you seen how tiny the t-case is? That it's able to take stock power levels amazes me, much less when you throw a big turbo on there.

So would you rather have a killer launch and have to do a gearbox a couple times a year or live with a weaker clutch that isn't as grabby and just do a clutch once in a while?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
a t56 will not hold 4 wheel drive to my knowledge and i'll be the first to admit that it even beats the getrags found in supras and skylines at least in rear wheel applications. vette owners tend to call getrags gettrashed. but even in the domestic community the t56 gets torn up a bit sometimes trying to hold those 1000+ hp vettes and f bodies.

awd is a different beast to tame, btw have you tried changing your fluids? that should help a bit with grinding and shifting speed ect.

Quick Reply: Are there any companies like Shep Racing that bulid up t-cases ???