Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new obx evo intercooler good?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new obx evo intercooler good?

i was wondering if anyone has any input on the new obx intercooler for the evo. The dimensions for the intercooler is 23" (width) x 11.75" (height) x 3" (depth). From end to end it is 30.5". The inlet / outlet for the on the endtanks are 3". Weight is 17lbs. they say "it has a .8 psi pressure drop for a 500 hp car" ?? i didnt know it mattered how much hp the car was making for a pressure drop. "it works well with 50 to 80 lb injectors." ?? anyways, im posting the pics, i dunno, it doesnt look like a bad intercooler.

well, i cant upload pics, but go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Last edited by rt turbo; Aug 4, 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

The question for me would be "Is it better than stock?" I would hate to spend money on something that didn't offer any gains or actually hurt performance.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Who is OBX I would worry about saving a few buck by buying it from a no name source. I think it is better to pay a little more to get a better product you know has been tested by other Evo owners. Just my opinion..
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

In my 240sx I had an OBX shortshifter but don't know what quality their FMIC would be. I didn't have any issues w/ their SS
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:42 PM

Don't bother with the 3in Endtanks unless you want to run 3in intercooler piping to go with your GT35R and built motor.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Is it the same IC for all those Evos? Where are the mounting brackets? Nice price though.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

I would buy it and be willing to try it out..........I just asked the seller if this will bolt directly to the stock intercooler pipes....if so I may give it a shot
Old Aug 4, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

I bet it has less pressure drop and is more efficient then the stocker by far
Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

This is VERY similar to the Hybrid IC I developed for my car. I had to fab some brakets. The upper IC pipe didn't fit perfect, I had to install it slightly cocked, maybe 10-15 deg. No big deal.
It was a big improvement in power.
Mine also had 3" OD inlets. I just used 3" - 2.5" reducers.
I had a around $500 invested with all clamps (T-bolt) and reducers and braket parts (for Lowes).
This core is less expensive than mine was, I paid $450 shipped.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=custom+fmic
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I emailed them this is what they said:

Hi,

Not exactly a direct fit. You will need to have a machine shop make some minor brackets to mount to the top two mount holes on the intercooler to hold it in place. Also the inlet and outlet on the intercooler are 3" so you will probably need to reduce it slightly with the 3.0" to 2.5" reducers that we can include with the purchase. As for routing back to stock piping, you can use U-bends and cut them to your specific angles to route back to the stock piping / hoses.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

basically its a no go......unless you wanna do a full custom job
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chapter8
basically its a no go......unless you wanna do a full custom job
im ganna be the guinie pig once again... it worked out well for me with the piping, but i can fab up brackets no problem.

bishiboy: how does your intercooler work? did you notice any gains over stock? any difference with intake temps? it does look to be very simila, as long as yours is good, i will do this and see how it goes.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

My IC works great. I noticed a definite improvement over stock. I didn't check the temps before/after, but it flows more than stock. I didn't change my boost controller when I installed the new IC, 1st run boost hit 25psi (with stock IC I had it set at 19.5psi), this indicated to me the new IC flowed better.
You don't need a machine shop to make these simple brakets, just a drill, hack saw, ruler, work bench.
Check my pics and you'll see how I did mine.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bishiboy
My IC works great. I noticed a definite improvement over stock. I didn't check the temps before/after, but it flows more than stock. I didn't change my boost controller when I installed the new IC, 1st run boost hit 25psi (with stock IC I had it set at 19.5psi), this indicated to me the new IC flowed better.
You don't need a machine shop to make these simple brakets, just a drill, hack saw, ruler, work bench.
Check my pics and you'll see how I did mine.
yeah, i saw your pics, they look nice... i dont have a problem with making brackets. gives me a sence of pride making my own as-good-as-a- big-shop quality pieces. since you did notice a boost in performance and popwer, im ganna go with this ic and see how it goes, this ic did look identical to yours... maybe same company? hope so.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

isnt the brand OBX sold by pep boys or autzone

Quick Reply: new obx evo intercooler good?