Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bushur Intercooler Problem with mounting it

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Unhappy Bushur Intercooler Problem with mounting it

Does anyone one have a problem mounting there bushur intercooler. I call today and they said I had to remove the starter for the lower pipe to be installed. After that no problem now I cant get my upper piping to go on to the intercooler and my front bumper won't go on cause the intercooler sticks out about an inch on the upper piping side. can anyone HELP.......
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

it requires a little tender love and care. Just get a rubber mallet and bend the brackets a little. I am suprised they told u to remove the starter. i did not have to do that. just use an elbow or bendy thingy...sorry i cant remember what the hell they are called and a long extension. I have removed the lower intercooler piping like 3 times now and it only takes me about 10 minutes at the most. I also had a problem getting the front right lower bolt on to fit, so i didnt even bother. some day i will take the bumper back off and bend the bracket a little.

goodluck...FYI...i had to go to autozone and get the paper gasket sheet and cut out a gasket. the stock gasket doesnt really work that good with the lower intercooler piping. Have you taken the car for a ride yet. If you havent, before you go through all that trouble of the finishing the install, check and make sure there isnt a leak at the lower piping that is attached to the turbo. i had a major leak using the stock gasket. if you have a leak, just for a quick fix, take the backing of a notebook, cut out the same shape gasket using the stock gasket as a stencil, soak the paper/cardboard gasket in some mobil 1 oil and use that. I had to do this and it worked PERFECT. and after a week of abuse, i finally replaced the gasket using the gasket roll and the cardboard that was there was perfect.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks how did you get the upper piping on....I tried the swivel socket but the turbo oil line and the burshur piping was in the way....socket would not fit between them.........
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur is poor in fitment. You have to really play and work around the ic to get it to fit "OK". To me, this IC is not very great in the fitment category.
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

You definitely don't need to drop the starter. I got the tip from David Buschur on this board to use an elbow on the socket and it worked like a charm. As far as it sticking out an inch on the drivers side, that is bizarre. Are you sure that you don't have the bracket on the wrong side of the mounting point. It should fit as well as the stocker. I would be very hesitent to bend anything to make it fit since it was already installed fine on my car without any unusual persuasion. Did you keep the center and passenger side mounting points loose before bolting up the drivers side?
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Is it possible that one of the mounting points on the car is bent?
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Is it possible that one of the mounting points on the car is bent?
I don't know if its bent I'm going to play with it againg tomarrow.....
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur is poor in fitment. You have to really play and work around the ic to get it to fit "OK". To me, this IC is not very great in the fitment category.
Awww, cmon Scott, the install on the Buschur Intercooler wasn't that bad. Everything fits securely and no trimming was required. (except for the bottom splash shield.) We just had trouble screwing that left bolt from the lower interccoler pipe to the turbo. Then we realized that if would be easier to to screw the bolt in alittle first then slide the pipe over it. I Love mine!!!
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

So does the bushur intercooler hook up to the upper stock piping with no problem
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

It should. Buschur Stage II uses the Buschur upper piping with the stock intercooler, so the stock and Buschur upper piping should be interchangeable.
Old Aug 4, 2004 | 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
It should. Buschur Stage II uses the Buschur upper piping with the stock intercooler, so the stock and Buschur upper piping should be interchangeable.
I have to take a better look at it in the morning but today it would not line up it was off about an inch. The pipe that comes out of the intercooler for the upper pluming was right up against the stoock upper pluming no room for the rubber hose....
Old Aug 6, 2004 | 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got my intercooler to go in had to space the top out and cut my stock upper pluming hose works great no leaks......
Old Aug 7, 2004 | 06:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Great news Thanks for the update.