Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dyno figures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our red car put down 460whp on our Dyno Dynamics dyno on Tuesday and 563whp on the DTS dyno at XS Engineering on Wednesday. Our Stage 1 cars put down 250whp on our DD dyno and 320whp on the Dynojet at Pruven and 280whp on the Dynojet at Porsche Exchange.

Dynos are great tools and accelerate the tuning process. Heck, they are 80% of the tuning process. But as darkhorse says, don't fixate on numbers. It'll only make you go crazy and make you think that something is wrong (or really right!) with your car

Shiv
Old Aug 7, 2004, 09:35 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Here is my take on dyno's. Find one and stick with it. Use it to compare all your gains (or losses) and equate that to track times. For example I know that on my dyno a car making 500whp at 3100lbs will go about 129mph in the 1/4. Driving to that MPH will determine ET. It doesn't matter if one dyno says 300whp and the next says 350whp, as long as they are consistant and accurate to each other is what counts. That way when you tune or install parts you can get an realistic representation of gains. And BTW I've tested many products that claim '5-10' on the dyno an in reality they wind up lossing a few hp or gaining nothing at best!

-Martin
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

On the same dyno, agreed, then its more like apples to apples- maybe granny smith to red delicious apples, but still apples at least. Unlike running on dyno a and gettign one number, then running dyno b and getting another
Old Aug 10, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Darkhorse, your veiled sarcasm is dead on.

The only reason I'll ever put my car on a dyno is to tune it. I could care less about actual dyno numbers outside of measured gains. If I want to get an estimate of WHP for bragging rights I'll run the car through 2nd or 3rd gear down a straight and level road, log the acceleration rates and do the math to figure it out.

I'm wondering, with reports of boost threshold characteristics being radically different on a chassis dyno versus on the street, it makes me question the value of even using a dyno. Why is spool up affected? Are people comparing single gear runs on the dyno to running through the gears on the street?