Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just put in my New HKS RS INTAKE and..............

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put in my New HKS RS INTAKE and..............

Boy was it a Pain in the *** to fit.

Don't get me wrong, I assume it was because of my UR IC Piping but still. Basically I decided to switch out my AEM intake because it was simply too steep and it hit the hood. The HKS unit is the opposite, it barely clears the bottom of the unit. I actually had remove the stock Brass bracket that holds the stock Air box, now it BARELY fits but since it is so snug on the braket it fits ok now.

THE BIGEST PITA was the metal inlet tube that hooks up to the brether tube. It was constantly in the way of teh BOV return tube, I had to hack it odd and rig it t make it fit. And after all this, I had to give the whole intake a HUGE push, wedge it down, and place teh mounting bracket in place and let it go, It now fits quite nicely, JUST DON'T TOUCH IT, YOU'LL KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!

Dirving Imporessions? Spoolup is Slower, mid throttle application is worse, and topend is the same. My Idle also is 500RPMS higher. The filter CERTAINLY flows WAY more then the AEM unit, its a serious unit, but I am not worried, I have to reflash it, I added the IC pipes which are 2.5 and now this high flow intake, It needs to be reprogramed. My guess is that way more air is flowing so I really need to reprogram it. No worry that is $100 bucks away.

All in all the filter clears EVERYTHING, and now fits good, I did reset the ECu and teh car is still adjusting but I do need to reprogram it.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Your idle/spool/power issues are because you reset the ecu. Give it time. Stock vs. intake I noticed serious power band smoothing and very nice top end gains.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:26 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah but I also have IC piping, so I rather just reflash it. When I did Flash it I had minor boost leaks and stock IC piping that is 1.3 inches in some parts, they aso expand. Now I have SOLID IC piping 2.5 all around and now this VERY VERY VERY HIGH flow intake, WTF for $100 its worth it for a Dyno Tune.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

No no I mean you reset your ecu when you installed the intake, so your car needs to adjust a bit (hence the higher idle). Give it about 3-4 driving cycles and it should be idling like normal.

Yes if you are already flashed you should go ahead and get re-reflashed to take advantage of the extra air.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

With just an HKS RS intake and a HKS SSQ BOV, I put down 220whp on a mustang dyno...about 20 hp more than a stocker. The owner of the shop was mystified of the results, but a second pull resulted in 219whp. Just the intake and bov...thats it.

BTW: These numbers read waaaaay low, on a chassis dyno I would have read higher.

The HKS intake is the sheit...let your car reset and have fun.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have the HKS RS as well...you need to tune for it...I got DynoFlashed and the RS intake is good for at least 10 WHP over the stock intake...plus the spoolup is loud as hell...