Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo surge with my APT 3071???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004 | 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

SWE can you list all yr parts (exactly)
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Whats up bro? I was waiting for see what you came out with. OK Here is my 0.02! First i would have gone with teh .82 housing that will help back pressure and possibly some surge. Also what manifold are you running. I have brought this up multiple times and it is always a fight but i would seriously think about getting a Twin Scroll Manifold to get the problem of gases running back into the exhaust ports. ALso what gas were you running? What kind of timing are you running on pump and on race along with boost for both? PM me and we can talk more private but we can compare some stuff since we have allot of the same mods just different turbo. Also can you send a log from the Motec so i can see what it looks like? Are you running your knock table to retard or richen the fuel when it sees a certain amount of knock? Honestly with your setup you need to get .82 housing at least with that turbo or go with the 3037 or the 35/40 with a .63. But i would be very interested in seeing all these variables. Also you are running the tomei 260 with 11.5 of lift right so there shouldnt be any worry of overlap with the bigger turbo? Talk to you soon!!! We will get it figured out!
What kind of dyno was your car dyno'ed on?

Chris
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I think swe is running a jic header.
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I also wanted to add then when your turbo surges it does create a sound that could be mistaken for knock. Unlikly but i guess that it could happen if it was loud enough. I wouldnt go with the 1.06 housing at most i would stick with the .82. You did get rid of your cat right? What exhaust are you running after the ATP downpipe?
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonRcR
What kind of dyno was your car dyno'ed on?

Chris
A Crappy Mustang AWD dyno at Matrix Engineering. This is why the torque numbers are so low there dyno is known for having low torque numbers. Next month im getting it dynoed on a Dynojet so we will see how that goes.
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
A Crappy Mustang AWD dyno at Matrix Engineering. This is why the torque numbers are so low there dyno is known for having low torque numbers. Next month im getting it dynoed on a Dynojet so we will see how that goes.
Damn those are great #'s on a mustang dyno. What fuel injectors/rail setup are you running?

Chris
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonRcR
Damn those are great #'s on a mustang dyno. What fuel injectors/rail setup are you running?

Chris
Running the stock Fuel Rail with FIC 850cc low impediance injectors controlled with my AEM. Actually was very suprised that the stock fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail was so good. We had no problems handling fuel at all. Eventually i do want to get your guys Fuel pressure regulator for the perrin fuel rail though but i figure that will be down the road after the blueprint and balance . Anyway sorry guys for getting off topic . SWE please let me know ASAP about the questions i had. EMail me or PM me a log from the Motec so we can check it out.
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

you were right Chris
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I think these guys on LR got the answer
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
you were right Chris
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I think these guys on LR got the answer
I guess you have to be right once in your life ? Good luck SWE let me know how it goes!
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

To start with a big thanks for all the response and concern, this is really killing me since I have a pretty large amount of $$$ in to my engine by now and a simple test today showed that my car wont even beat my friends EVO VI with a stock 10.5 ti turbo We tried a couple of pulls in 3rd gear at 4k and he was actually pulling away slightly up to about 5k where I started to gain ever so slightly up to 7k. He is running stock turbo but otherwise a similar setup as mine except he also runs stock cams.

Az3ar here is my full spec:

MoTeC M48 stand alone ECU
ATP Garrett GT3071R .63 a/r
ATP 3" stainless down pipe
ATP 4" custom suction pipe
ATP lower intercooler pipe
3” cat delete pipe
Tial 38mm external wastegate
Eagle forged H-profile conrods
Ross forged pistons 8.5:1
AMS 780cc injectors
Tomei 260 11,5mm IN/EX camshafts
Tomei adjustable cam gears
Tomei valve springs
HKS Super Sequential blow off valve
HKS super power flow air filter
HKS Hiper 3" exhaust system
Custom made high flow stainless exhaust manifold
Sytec 255l high capacity fuel pump
MAP sensor MAF removed

Az3ar, could you do a small test for me, try a run in 4th gear from 4000rpms to 7000rpms, try it a couple of times and see what times you get. My car did that in about 9sec before the turbo kit, now it does it in around 7sec but now we also know that a car with a stock turbo could do it about as fast if properly tuned.

I have very little information on the tune it self and I have no possibility to connect to my ECU to pull any logs at this point. The company who tuned my car is called Trollspeed and they mainly do rally and rally cross cars and some of them are EVOs, their most famous car is probably their Pikes Peak Saab 9-3, don’t know if anybody has heard of it? Anyway they have tons of experience in tuning turbo cars and they had never encountered anything like this problem. A very sad thing is that they are some 400km (250miles) away from me and yesterday was in the $1,300 range for 9 hours of work plus gas not to forget getting up 3:20 in the morning and back home 12:00 in the night

I tuned on 98oct RON pump gas and no race gas at all. I think 98 RON is about 93 ANI or what you call your grading.

I actually ordered the .82 turbine but ATP sent the .63 by mistake. They said they would send me the .82 if the .63 didn’t work out. I will give ATP a call now and listen what they have to say about all this.

I have attached a couple of pics of my manifold. It’s custom made and maybe not a perfect design but it should be better than stock at least.

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Aug 12, 2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Oops, forgot the pics
Attached Thumbnails Turbo surge with my APT 3071???-dscf0010_2.jpg   Turbo surge with my APT 3071???-dscf0011_2.jpg  
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

I know I'm jumping into this thread late in the game, so forgive me if it has already been mentioned...

But what exhaust manifold is that?
Old Aug 12, 2004 | 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
To start with a big thanks for all the response and concern, this is really killing me since I have a pretty large amount of $$$ in to my engine by now and a simple test today showed that my car wont even beat my friends EVO VI with a stock 10.5 ti turbo We tried a couple of pulls in 3rd gear at 4k and he was actually pulling away slightly up to about 5k where I started to gain ever so slightly up to 7k. He is running stock turbo but otherwise a similar setup as mine except he also runs stock cams.

Az3ar here is my full spec:

MoTeC M48 stand alone ECU
ATP Garrett GT3071R .63 a/r
ATP 3" stainless down pipe
ATP 4" custom suction pipe
ATP lower intercooler pipe
3” cat delete pipe
Tial 38mm external wastegate
Eagle forged H-profile conrods
Ross forged pistons 8.5:1
AMS 780cc injectors
Tomei 260 11,5mm IN/EX camshafts
Tomei adjustable cam gears
Tomei valve springs
HKS Super Sequential blow off valve
HKS super power flow air filter
HKS Hiper 3" exhaust system
Custom made high flow stainless exhaust manifold
Sytec 255l high capacity fuel pump
MAP sensor MAF removed

Az3ar, could you do a small test for me, try a run in 4th gear from 4000rpms to 7000rpms, try it a couple of times and see what times you get. My car did that in about 9sec before the turbo kit, now it does it in around 7sec but now we also know that a car with a stock turbo could do it about as fast if properly tuned.

I have very little information on the tune it self and I have no possibility to connect to my ECU to pull any logs at this point. The company who tuned my car is called Trollspeed and they mainly do rally and rally cross cars and some of them are EVOs, their most famous car is probably their Pikes Peak Saab 9-3, don’t know if anybody has heard of it? Anyway they have tons of experience in tuning turbo cars and they had never encountered anything like this problem. A very sad thing is that they are some 400km (250miles) away from me and yesterday was in the $1,300 range for 9 hours of work plus gas not to forget getting up 3:20 in the morning and back home 12:00 in the night

I tuned on 98oct RON pump gas and no race gas at all. I think 98 RON is about 93 ANI or what you call your grading.

I actually ordered the .82 turbine but ATP sent the .63 by mistake. They said they would send me the .82 if the .63 didn’t work out. I will give ATP a call now and listen what they have to say about all this.

I have attached a couple of pics of my manifold. It’s custom made and maybe not a perfect design but it should be better than stock at least.

NP swe I will help you out . On the weekend my friend will count and i will drive from 4k to 7k full gas.
Old Aug 13, 2004 | 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JustDSM
I know I'm jumping into this thread late in the game, so forgive me if it has already been mentioned...

But what exhaust manifold is that?
It's custom made by a guy in New Zealand.

I talked to ATP last night and they were going to discuss this and get back to me.
Old Aug 13, 2004 | 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

This is really killing me now, I have a pretty large amount of $$$ in to my engine by now and a simple test today showed that my car wont even beat my friends EVO VI with a stock 10.5 ti turbo. We tried a couple of pulls in 3rd gear at 4k and he was actually pulling away slightly up to about 6k where I started to gain ever so slightly up to 7k. He is running stock turbo but otherwise a similar setup as mine except he also runs stock cams.

Quick Reply: Turbo surge with my APT 3071???