Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo surge with my APT 3071???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004 | 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
LOL thats funny that it looks like the same manifold i got. And everybody was talking crap about mine saying it was terrible. I find it to be a very good manifold with good welds, supports, and porting and polishing. Actually if you look our manifold is identical to the DNP manifold that everybody knows and loves in Japan only mine was about 1/3 of the cost.
Hi Chris,

Well, I haven’t had the possibility to test much over the weekend and I’m still waiting for ATP to come back to me with a suggestion on what to do. Trollspeed who tuned my care are away on some racing event in Belgium and won’t be back until tomorrow or Wednesday which really sucks because I need some information details on the tune like ignition timing and a/f ratios. I’ll be calling ATP tonight as they said they should come back to me on Friday but didn’t. I guess a .82 housing is the obvious but if available I might try a surge ported compressor housing as well. I have only seen those on the 3037/3076, anybody that knows if it’s available for the 3071 as well?

I’ll try to change the BOV tonight since it’s an easy test, I might be a potential customer on your Type II if this proves to be a BOV related problem But I kind of doubt it could be only that since the surge is so bad.

My manifold was custom built in 316 SS by a guy in NZ who makes such stuff in his garage on spare time as far as I understood. He seam to make very nice parts but it can take ages to get what you ordered If I remember correctly I paid around US$460 with shipping for this manifold.

I’ll post the result of the BOV test tonight.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

swe, please keep us updated and best of luck !
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

swe .. you can't compare the TME to yours like that on the street .. the TME is almost 150kg lighter than your car !! you have to make enough HP to overcome the 150kg to match him in terms of timing !
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
swe .. you can't compare the TME to yours like that on the street .. the TME is almost 150kg lighter than your car !! you have to make enough HP to overcome the 150kg to match him in terms of timing !
That is absolutely not correct, we put my car and a TME on a very accurate digital vehicle scale and my car was exactly 37kg heavier. We had about the same amount of fuel as well but don’t know exactly, Mitsu stated the VII to be 40kg heavier than the VI so that seamed to be more or less exactly correct. And BTW, they were two people in the TME and I was alone, I might be a bit on the heavy side but far from them together

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Aug 16, 2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

on paper a TME RS is 1300kg vs 1440kg on the VII ..
that's my basis for comparison .. and the manufacturer always underdeclare the weight .. I also weighed my car before and it's like 30kg over paper ..

You're also comparing a very fast spooling turbo (TME GSR then since the weight is off by 40kg paper) The GSR spools by 2750rpms (even faster than mine)

so depending on the rpm ranges you're in .. his area under the torque curve may be more than yours .. TMEs are notorious for being very fast with very little mods .. can you compare your car to another VII ??
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
on paper a TME RS is 1300kg vs 1440kg on the VII ..
that's my basis for comparison .. and the manufacturer always underdeclare the weight .. I also weighed my car before and it's like 30kg over paper ..

You're also comparing a very fast spooling turbo (TME GSR then since the weight is off by 40kg paper) The GSR spools by 2750rpms (even faster than mine)

so depending on the rpm ranges you're in .. his area under the torque curve may be more than yours .. TMEs are notorious for being very fast with very little mods .. can you compare your car to another VII ??

SWE he is kinda right, he has some good points. We cant really compare with RPM we should compare with MPH (speed) however we cant really do that on the streets.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

There are only three VIIs in Sweden that I know of and non of the other two has any serious mods so it wouldn’t be any point comparing to them.

On the other hand I think the TME has a kind of almost mythical reputation especially in the states, not that hard to understand since they really aren’t available there. But the TME spec was not faster or stronger than the normal VI, it had lower suspension, different front bumper, different wheels, different interior but the exact same spec on the engine. When I compared my, at that time, completely stock VII on a dyno to a TME also completely stock I had almost 20hp more than him even if it had the 10,5 cm2 turbo and I have the 9,8. I see no reason why the TME should be that much faster than any other VI or VII or VIII with the same mods?

The TMEs her are RS2 versions with all the electrics, manual A/C, ABS brakes and AYC. My VII is also an RS2 with the same spec except that it also has ACD.

They also have the exact same gearing in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear as the VII and the VIII so I really see no problem in this comparison. And as we started at 4000 rpms in 3rd I had full boost very fast but he did pull away slightly just as we floored it but then we were almost 100% equal until about 6000 where I started to catch up just a tiny bit up to 7000. Then when we both shifted the scenario repeated it self, he gained some on me and then I gained some on him but we are only talking a couple of feet here.

I never said this was a good way to compare but I should have like 100whp more than him and when doing such a pull I should blow him away. But we also know my car doesn’t perform as it should.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gt40
You could be having bov issues.

I am running a 3052 which is quite a bit bigger turbo. Before, with the greddy type s, at above 23 psi, I would have some compressor surge in 5th gear at 120+.

Swapped bov to a new crushed 1g and that cured it. Basically the bov was causing a cyclic boost leak.

The new crushed 1g bov just works. The mr and the stock both share the same design also except for the mounting flange but the stock being plastic sucks because it leaks and you can't crush it to raise the level of boost you can run without leaking. With the stock, the boost leak is constant so no surge but loss of power.

I could of run a crushed mr but they are higher cost and mounting the 1g was easier the way I did.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92909

good luck

I tired changing the bov to a "pop off valve" more or less a bov with no vacuum control, only spring supported. Anyway, it didn't help much at all, maybe the surge got a little bit less audible but I’m not really sure. I did a very quick test with the spring tighten to max and still no difference, at that setting it didn’t even seam to open at full boost and a quick closing of the throttle.

I’m just about to give ATP a call now and listen if they have had their chat and if they came up with any ideas.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Just of the phone with ATP and they will send me the .82 housing ASAP. They will also check if the 71mm compressor housing is available with that anti surge porting like on the 3076 where you see like an extra ring or collar in the inlet. I really hope this will take care of my problems. Won’t have any news for a while now until I get the housing and have had time to have it installed and tested. I’ll post here as soon as I have any news.

BTW, what does it mean when you have a crushed BOV?

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Aug 16, 2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

I have not had any issues with boost spikes or compressor surging. My boost stays rock hard at 20psi all the way to redline. I am running one 14lb spring in the wastegate and I am running a profec spec-b . I am also using a greddy type-s . It is very strange for you to have all the surges. Does the motec also control boost?
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quickshift
I have not had any issues with boost spikes or compressor surging. My boost stays rock hard at 20psi all the way to redline. I am running one 14lb spring in the wastegate and I am running a profec spec-b . I am also using a greddy type-s . It is very strange for you to have all the surges. Does the motec also control boost?

so hey did u get Utech or not yet? Remind me do you have cams? i was wondering if u did put yr car on the dyno?
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I just tuned it out with my s-afc for now I am in the middle of something right now so money is a little tight. But I should have something in a few weeks. Yes I got cams and alot of other stuff. My turbo is now broken in I am spooling at 3200 and full at 3750-3600 depending on gear. Sounds like a jet in 5th gear
Old Aug 16, 2004 | 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I just tuned it out with my s-afc for now I am in the middle of something right now so money is a little tight. But I should have something in a few weeks. Yes I got cams and alot of other stuff. My turbo is now broken in I am spooling at 3200 and full at 3750-3600 depending on gear. Sounds like a jet in 5th gear

same here amazing spool. Very fast you wont even believe. added one more 911 turbo on my list of loosers , black and he got smoked from 80 mph to 140. He was so pissed and the funny thing i was about 5 cars ahead and pulling. my friend could not believe it. my top end now is more like v12
Old Aug 17, 2004 | 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I don’t know if I’m strange in any way but I don’t see why you would buy a $2400 kit like this and then run 20psi? I would probably not have any surge if I only run 20psi but a stock turbo at 26-28psi would make as much if not more power. You need a certain amount of power to accelerate a certain amount of weight from, and to, a certain speed. That’s simple physics and all the g-tech power measurement devices use these laws, of course with some variables as gearing and air flow resistance.

As I have seen here my car seam to be very similar in power to Az3ar’s in terms of acceleration in 4th gear, he stated 7-8sec and I timed mine to 7sec from 4k-7k. My friends EVO6 which weighs only about 40kg less than my car but then also has more air resistance would easily do it in the same time and he is running stock turbo. And in that he also has a spool that we could only dream of even with the 3071, he would have full boost by 2800rpms, but he has the Ti 10,5cm2 stock turbo. If this is all the difference this turbo will make I would either have staid with stock or gone for the 3076 as the 3071 only seam a waste of money in that perspective.

I know my car doesn’t run 100% as it could/should but still it makes the run in 7sec. Something is seriously strange here and I don’t know if it’s the 3071 in general or my car in particular. I have to wait and see what the .82 housing will do and take it from there. It might be a mismatch with my other mods like the cams that doesn’t allow me to get the full potential out of it.
Old Aug 17, 2004 | 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

BTW, what does it mean when you have a crushed BOV?
New Crushed 1g cured all my surge problems at 25 psi...

Last edited by gt40; Aug 17, 2004 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo surge with my APT 3071???