Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft?

I apologise but I dont know if one is made for the evo, I know they made one for the 3000Gt Vr-4 and it sounded like it would be a good mod. And no I dont think a Vr-4 driveshaft would work on a evo.

With my limited knowlage about the mechanics of cars, I would assume that the driveshaft is pritty heavy, and a new one made of CF would lighten up the car alot.

Also with the lost weight you loose alot of the rotating mass that steeles WHP from the....well wheels.

So I was woundering if any perticular shop had looked into it or if all togehter it would be a waste of money.

P.S. sorry for spelling
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Bump for that. Interesting mod.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

The company: http://www.acpt.com/

Here's something of interest...
http://www.wincom.net/trog/driveshaft.html
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone have any idea how much the stock driveshaft weighs? I thought it was already fairly lightweight (At least aluminum??)
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

yea its really light when i unbolted mine to take off the TC i had a friend help me cause i though iw as gonna drop it untill i took it off you can toss it around and play games and **** with it, one good thing with a CF one is that if it snaps on you dunno how likely that is on the factory , and you dont have a lop for it it wont flip the car over it will just kinda shatter and turn into a high speed street sweeper
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The carbon shafts are the best all around answer... however, I don't know of anyone making one for our car right now. Driveshaftshop.com has an aluminum one do out pretty soon. It looks promising replacing the front two sections with a single.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

ACPT will make a one-off if needed. They require the stock piece to make it though; as they re-use the yolks.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

main thing with the stock driveshaft isn't weight as much as its the amount of flex in it... 3 piece driveshaft.. i mean c'mon...

wow, you tossed around a 3 piece driveshaft? I would see that as getting alittle tricky

ps.... don't get me wrong weight is another big factor with driveshafts.. i'm jsut commeting that I would think that reducing the flex and such would be a bigger concern, thats all...
Old Aug 15, 2004, 06:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You need a different kind of yoke to replace the OE front two shafts with one... the range of movement is too limited in the OE pieces. The one From Driveshaftshop.com addresses this issue.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Well I just figured I would mention it, and see if it would be worth it or even stur up enough intrest, someone would produce one, but it seems an aluminum one is already in production, or will be soon.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

I would definitely do this mod...how much weight do u think it saves? Not just weight but I know when u go with a lighter driveshaft it makes the car much more responsive...lets do a group buy...we tried it on the front diff but i still dont see any news on it....this time lets follow through
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't forget if you want to run a one piece driveshaft that you probably will need to install a hoop to keep it from dropping just in case you lose a universal.. I think I'll just leave mine alone.. It currently hasn't been an issue in my car.. If I break something, then I'll upgrade it.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

so why cant we do all three in cf?
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well one hasent been made yet, or so I belive. Does anyone have a link to the aluminum drive shaft that is being made?
Old Aug 15, 2004, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Don't forget if you want to run a one piece driveshaft that you probably will need to install a hoop to keep it from dropping just in case you lose a universal.. I think I'll just leave mine alone.. It currently hasn't been an issue in my car.. If I break something, then I'll upgrade it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it... good advice

I'm not sure if the performance gains are worth the risks either or even worth the money...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft?