Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1G/2G valves same as Evo ??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1G/2G eclipse valves same as Evo ??

what the title said ..

Anyone thought of cutting down bigger valves to make them fit the smaller Japanese engines ??

Do these cut down valves last ?? I'm also thinking of getting the big block engine valves and cut them down to size to fit the evo's .. but I was warned they may not last (titanium valves .. since no one makes titanium for evos yet)

TIA

Last edited by gunzo; Aug 15, 2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure what you mean.. At first I thought you were talking about 1G/2G DSM (Eclipse)

Then you refer to chevy, so I can only assume you mean intake/exhaust valves?

Anything can be done, but you have to weigh the expense of modifying an existing part to fit your application, and purchasing parts specific to the car.. you may find after all is said and done that the cost is similar.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

ok.. rephrased to make it clearer ..

Actually I was also looking at titanium valves .. and these are not cheap .. the cheap ones are only those for the big blocks .. hence the 2nd half of the question ..
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

It can be fairly expensive to machine the "inexpensive" valves down to fit the engine.. Don't get me wrong, It can be done (and likely has) but it depends on the valve, some are not 100% solid material (they may have another material in them to absorb heat or other properties) So machining them may ruin them. If their a solid material, then you can adapt them.

However the overall length of the valves is smaller, and I think the shaft diameter is slightly larger.. Of course the valve diameter and angles may be different and would have to be somehow matched (either by porting the head and machining for the larger valves (if possible)

All of these things add to the expense of the work.. so take all of that into account. Its possible that you can look at the 2.4L engine, and the valves in that and see if possibly they would suit your needs.

Most of us upgrade valves as part of a oversize valve upgrade, or for durability over stock, so its generally expensive and more exotic materials, but they do last alot longer.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

BTW, Titanium valves on a BB Chevy are GIANT compared to the valves in our car.. we have 2 valves to do the job of one big one on a pushrod chevy..
Old Aug 15, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Comparing part numbers, all DSM's and EVO's use the same intake valve part number. Knowing that the EVO uses a sodium filled exhaust valve and the DSM does not sheds light as to why the part numbers are different.

I'd say the DSM valves are a viable option and will work with the EVO.