Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy V-SPL Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock pipes expand and leak, teh stock lower IC pipe is TERRIBLE, any aftermarket one will generally gain you 10WHP no problem, I lucked out.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umiami80
Sorry Zues, I picked up 15 WHP with the Lower pipe, My FMIC is doing fine and does nto heat soak, I also do not track my car but never experience loss of power. Maybe hard track driving, but the Lower IC pipe is a HUGE restriction, the stock FMIC flows perfect for the turbo, I have seen people go 11.7 @ 118 with the stock FMIC and Turbo, not much better then that.
...and your could probably still run an eleven second quarter mile with a intercooler half the size of the OE piece. So that proves what? 95% of Evo owners run around town, pickup groceries, kids, fast food, or whatever. That is more to the point. I'm not arguing the lower pipe issue because you are correct on that one. Unless I miss understood you (which I'm old and could have), you were implying that the OE FMIC was more than sufficient for the OE turbo. If you're Evo lives it's life only a 1/4 mile at a time, you can get by with the OE piece... but it's been proven that it's definitely lacking when you crank it up.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to have helped you Racerrsx.
Man I wish I could have gotten those brackets for you know who. I would have thought his shiny new AMS one would have come with some for it. Oh well we made due and it's a great install if I do say myself.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:16 PM
Account Disabled

Unless I miss understood you (which I'm old and could have), you were implying that the OE FMIC was more than sufficient for the OE turbo. If you're Evo lives it's life only a 1/4 mile at a time, you can get by with the OE piece... but it's been proven that it's definitely lacking when you crank it up.

It may be lacking in higher elevation such as Colorado.

But The Stock FMIC flows 600CMF's efficiently while the stock turbo absolutely maxed out flows 550 CFM's. Could you heat soak the FMIC flooring it and then stopping over and over again in 100 degree weather? Sure, but then we got teh sprayer which works wonders. I trek MANY MANY miles per day, I hit 130-140 most of teh time in certain spots, car is fine.

HUMIDITY does kill our cars, you being from Texas, Holy **** but I see little gains with an upgraded FMIC.

TT did a run from stock to after market, about 4 HP and a pressure drop because these IC flow atleast 1000 CFM's, but yeah they would be harder to heat, and I would Never object to a larger FMIC, they look great. Once you go with a BIGGER turbo, OMG is the Difference noticed, like 30-40WHP then, butu with a turbo that can barely flow the stocker, teh same exact stocker used in hard core rally and massive anti-lag blasts, its fine.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

We are jumping way off topic, but the secret is not in the CFM here... a straight pipe would flow better still, would it not?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

???? I gues NO IC would flow the best, TT does that, well almost.

The Stock IC Cools fine with the Stock Turbo, WRC uses it, and as long as it recieves proper air flow.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, since "WRC" uses it successfully under racing conditions, under sustained speed, I'm sure it is best for all of us... sure.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Uh Oh MYEVOVIII saw that there are brackets for the intercooler.
I do know from driving my car to Kroger that the stock intercooler hates the heat of the south.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:59 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I've had good luck with power on the stock IC, but Murphy's law has made an upgrade mandatory.

The two that I'm considering are the AMS unit with lower pipe or the new Injen unit with lower pipe. The AMS has proven power with low bling. The Injen has super high bling with questionable gains. I'd like to dyno both the same time I put the cams in, but that is an impossibility. I have to make the choice of an IC soon, so its time to throw the dice.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Have you no interest in the Perrin?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Maybe I need a little more education on it, Zeus. I saw one on a car this weekend, and it was gigantic. They guy couldn't get his stock mesh grill back in place, because of the protrusion of the IC in the corners. That's the only bug protection we get, and I'd like to keep it.

The other thing is that IIRC, it comes with no IC piping. I'd like to be able to afford a lower pipe as well, and the price of the Perrin prohibits that. Since the OEM lower pipe is more of a restriction than the stock IC itself, it seems like the price:value ratio of the Perrin is lacking a bit to me since I'm intending to stay on the factory turbo for awhile.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:17 PM
Account Disabled

I like the AMS one, its only $600, nto bad at all.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
I like the AMS one, its only $600, nto bad at all.
were can you find it for 600?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

I think the best price is $675. I have seen AMS doing specials on it. I would contact them to see if they will be putting it on sale anytime soon.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Noize
Maybe I need a little more education on it, Zeus. I saw one on a car this weekend, and it was gigantic. They guy couldn't get his stock mesh grill back in place, because of the protrusion of the IC in the corners. That's the only bug protection we get, and I'd like to keep it.

The other thing is that IIRC, it comes with no IC piping. I'd like to be able to afford a lower pipe as well, and the price of the Perrin prohibits that. Since the OEM lower pipe is more of a restriction than the stock IC itself, it seems like the price:value ratio of the Perrin is lacking a bit to me since I'm intending to stay on the factory turbo for awhile.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sounds well thought out to me. I was just throwing out one of a few I was considering. The AMS, with lower pipe is hard to beat. I'm very picky though, and refuse to trim my undertray... which it seems you do with the AMS unit. If the Perrin doesn't permit the use of the OE mesh, then that is just as bad as far as I'm concerned. As most of the bar and plate cores will serve my purpose, I'm looking for one that will require no deletion, or modification other than removal of the OE intercooler.

Quick Reply: Greddy V-SPL Intercooler