Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Xylene

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get 100 or 110 octane race gas around here for $5 a gallon. Is having that extra 4 points really worth the hassle of adding lubricants and the handling issues of using Toluene or Xylene?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Not everyone can easily get 100 octane unleaded. Of course if you can, it is certainly more convenient and isn't much of an issue of economics at $5/gal if you use it infrequently.

However, if it is something that you do intend to use on a frequent basis, your best bet is getting a drum for ~$3/gal and running a 20-30% mixture with 92-93 octane, which should give an overall cost of around $2.25/gal, which is *less than half* the cost of buying 100 octane at $5/gal.

It's really just a matter of what you want and how often you want it.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
Just curious, why did you calculate for 13 gallons total? EVO gas tanks are 14 gallons.

Correction... second formula should be for 1 gallon of XYLENE.

I generally try not to run out and coast in. My rally skills aren't that developed. Not only that it won't screw up anything if you do it every tank. Also, small deviations from perfect mix don't matter.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
That works out to $6/gal, which is still pricey. I believe the last price quote I obtained for a 55 gal drum of toluene was about $2.75/gal.
I tried that once but I lost too much downforce when I had to take the trunklid (and spoiler) off to get it in the trunk. I also worried all the time about getting rear ended. It did a nice job of lowering the car however.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
You can get 100 or 110 octane race gas around here for $5 a gallon. Is having that extra 4 points really worth the hassle of adding lubricants and the handling issues of using Toluene or Xylene?
Last time I bought 100 it cost me $5.50 per gallon. Two and half gallons at $5.50@ = ten and a half gallons at $2.20 is close to equal to one gallon of Xylene added to twelve gallons of 91.

One other issue is that I get 1 mpg more running higher octane gas.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:25 PM

It is impossible to get 100 octane gas in Overland Park, KS. I been searching for a year already, still havn't found any. So the best option for me is Xylene. So, I don't mind putting in Xylene every fill up.

What I get from this thread is that Xylene is safe to put in the Evo as long as I didn't put more than 2 gallon into the full gas tank, right? Also, if I put less than 2 gallon, then I won't need to add any lubricant, correct?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRWN KIX
I generally try not to run out and coast in. My rally skills aren't that developed. Not only that it won't screw up anything if you do it every tank. Also, small deviations from perfect mix don't matter.
Yes, but when you calculate for the octane mixture in the tank, your formula would only work if you left your tank 1 gallon empty every time you filled up. There's still that extra gallon of gas in the tank to account for whether you use it or not.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys I'm sorry for the confusion in my formulas, i didn't mean "in" i meant "in addition to" so I revised my post with a plus sign (+) so the octane reflects 1 full 14 gallon tank. And yes, minor deviations in the mix aren't going to matter unless you are finely tuning a race mixture, and the margin of error is critical. Hell normal pump gas has a lot of deviations anyway.

Another thing to consider in the Toluene vs. Xylene debate is that Toluene is already in gasoline, whereas Xylene is not. Therefore, additive packages in gasoline are formulated with the presence of Toluene in mind, where they may or may not be affected by Xylene. It's impossible to know what is in each gasoline additive package, so to me Toluene is just that much safer. Then again, they are all petrochemicals...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

tranny fluid in the gas tank is fine. just add a cap full or so for every gallon of toulene or xylene.

i do not run it on the street. i run it mostly at the track. i mix 2 gallons of toulene with 3 gallons of 93 to get 101.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Another thing to consider in the Toluene vs. Xylene debate is that Toluene is already in gasoline, whereas Xylene is not. Therefore, additive packages in gasoline are formulated with the presence of Toluene in mind, where they may or may not be affected by Xylene. It's impossible to know what is in each gasoline additive package, so to me Toluene is just that much safer. Then again, they are all petrochemicals...

I remember reading somewhere in the Evo forum saying that BP of Euro recommended adding Toulene/Xylene as an octane booster.

I already got a gallon of Xylene sitting in my garage because I can't find Toulene in my area. Still, I didn't put it into my Evo yet, I just want to be sure that it is totally safe for the car and won't cost any major repair later on.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Might help.....
http://evo.jedinite.com/toluene.html
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

http://torcoracefuels.com/torco/power/accelerator.htm
This stuff is about the same cost and better
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

It is leaded and better only for racing and knowing that it is damaging your catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. Definately not better for the street.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

is "xyol xylene" the same as the xylene in which you guys talk about?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:11 AM

.....I would think so. That is what I got from Home Depot for $10/gallon. Does anyone esle in this thread could confirm this.

I just try it out yesterday with 10 gallon of 91 octane gasoline. I notice right away that my Evo doesn't have any knocking sound like it was before. The car also idle and accelerate smoother.

Quick Reply: Xylene