Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Xylene

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004EVORS
http://torcoracefuels.com/torco/power/accelerator.htm
This stuff is about the same cost and better
Don't forget that when you put in a small can of metallic or chemical aditive that you aren't adding a gallon of stuff that burns. The extra cost of Xylene is the difference between it's cost and the cost of another gallon of gas.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:56 PM

Hey Guys:

I've been using Xylene (or Toluene) for over eight months and 12,000 miles without any discernable problems. I use a ratio of 12 gallons or 91 octane gas to 2 gallons of Xylene giving me an overall octance rating of 94.71

I'm a firm believer in higher octane and using Xylene to get there. I would throw out a word of caution, Xylene is very volatile and harmful, so use lots of care when handling it. Spilling on your paint work is not good news and spilling on your skin is far worse. I use plastic gloves, a nice big funnel and lots of ventilation.

Apart from that, enjoy the added power.

- Nellie
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:38 PM

Not to change the direction of the thread too much, but has anybody else had problems running 100 octane unleaded?

I just ran about 15 gallons of Sunnoco 100 octane unleaded through my car (two back to back autocross weekends plus back and forth to work in between) and I now have a SES light with a P0420 code for catalyst efficiency.

Yes, I'm sure it was unleaded as I checked the barrel the fuel came from, in fact one barrel was brand new and we broke the factory seals to fill the car.

I've reset the ECU/SES light once, and got the SES back within a day. The days that I got the SES were hot (over 100 degrees) and I was driving the car pretty gently for a couple of days prior to the light coming on.

I'm going to run this tank empty, refill with my standard fuel and then reset the light again to see what happens.

Mark
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I would throw out a word of caution, Xylene is very volatile and harmful, so use lots of care when handling it. Spilling on your paint work is not good news and spilling on your skin is far worse. I use plastic gloves, a nice big funnel and lots of ventilation.

I accidentally spill it on my Evo a little bit ( this is my first time using it ) but I wipe it off right away. I also accidentally get some on my hand, then I wipe it off and wash it with soap and warm water about 5 min after, not thing happened. So I guess if you clean it up not too long after it contact your skin or the car, then it is OK.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Well I've had xylene on my hands before, for a good 10-15 minutes before I could wash them off with no ill effects (short term). But I've been known to wash my hands in gasoline from the parts washer, and from what I've read, and heard from people who experience it first hand, it catches up with you 20-30 years down the road when it causes nerve damage. Just saying that if you accidentally spill some on your hands, it's not the end of the world.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:55 PM

For real?....**** then I don't think that it would worth the risk. When you open up the container, you will smell some of the fume anyway no matter how you try to avoid it. Too dangerous to be using.....

P.S. what about Toulene?