Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT Clutch installed...WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT Clutch installed...WOW!!

Finally got the ACT clutch installed with a stainless steel clutch line, redline fluids, and flywheel turn/resurface...I have yet to break it in, but noticed immediate difference...like a new car almost...The clutch is engaging way, WAY sooner (don't have to put it to the floor anymore), much smoother, and grips and goes way more effieciently..One of the best (very few though) mods so far. I am pretty much stock with a drop-in RalliArt filter, TEIN coilovers, and GReddy turbo-timer. Sidestepping the clutch will be much, much easier now! Too bad Mitsu didn't use a more powerful clutch assembly stock...The ACT will handle 497hp and ft/lbs of torque, so mods, here I come!! I saw the stock unit once it was removed and it really didn't need replacing, a few, small heat spots, some glazing, but pretty much like new, still too weak for the EVO IMHO...

I also took out the sh!tty Forge Motorsports recirculating valve and put the OEM unit back in...the stock unit is quieter , but runs so much smoother! FORGE SUCKS!!

Last edited by EVIL VIII; Aug 20, 2004 at 10:22 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

nice....clutch with the nessecary sh*t.
-wouldn't mind getting one...but heh..i drive an oz
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVIL VIII
Sidestepping the clutch will be much, much easier now!
Your kidding, right?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Your kidding, right?

No...why? Slipping it, sidestepping it whatever...The stock one almost had to go to the floor, with the ACT, it engages without ever putting pressure on it almost? I must be missing something here...please explain!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, strange, my stock clutch disengages rather high. My Eclipse GST was damn near the floor, and I had an ACT 2100 in it.

Just curious, but who did your clutch swap?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Chris at Apex Motorsports...Really the only person I knew that worked on other EVO's before...runs fine...only been a night, but my stock clutch was going I bet...I have had teh car for over a year, so I don't know what it was like when I first bought it...I glazed it in December, and it was never the same...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh, the guys at Apex did the clutch swap in my Eclipse GST. They hosed me, lol. Whoever did the install forgot to reconnect the odometer and speedometer. I put about 400 miles on my car before I got a chance to have it reconnected... heheh
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

How much did the entire assymbly and install cost ya? I have been looking at aftermarket clutches but no way can I afford 1500 bucks for the exedy twin plate + install on it...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
Ahh, the guys at Apex did the clutch swap in my Eclipse GST. They hosed me, lol. Whoever did the install forgot to reconnect the odometer and speedometer. I put about 400 miles on my car before I got a chance to have it reconnected... heheh

Really...When Ben and Andy ran the shop it was great...I still deal with Andy..he runs HP Autoworks now...I get GREAT DEALS with him...Apex I induction kit with power filter $200.00 flat...Regulary like $280.00-300.00...I also order the GReddy 60mm gauges (Boost and EGT) for $200.00. Let me know if you want anything. If Kwan was running APEX, then yeah! I got focked by him a couple times too...
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
How much did the entire assymbly and install cost ya? I have been looking at aftermarket clutches but no way can I afford 1500 bucks for the exedy twin plate + install on it...

The clutch itself is relatively cheap..$550 shipped...it was the other parts and labor that was brutal...The labor, clutch line, and flywheel work was around $670...Chris kinda focked me on that...he quoted me $400+parts,then called and siad it was done and $670..I fell off my chair. He under-estimated the hours for teh install apparently...I said BS, and told him he would never get a dime from me again...Dale (new owner) and Kenny (sales rep) are cool as poo though!!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh, when I went to Apex 2 years ago I dealt with Andy. He actually beat a competitor's price on the clutch install, so thats why I went with them instead of another shop. The hassle of having to go back to get my odometer and speedometer working again sort of made me think twice about it though.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Well, Andy ran the store, Ben ran the tuning/shop...but I feel you man!!
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT clutch kit and I noticed that slipping it is much harder now and that's a good thing to me. Don't get me wrong you can still slip it, it's just not as easy as OEM set up.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

hmm so thats still over 1200.... kinda spendy but sounds like it works pretty well and still cheaper than exedy Ill have to think bout it tho I don't have that much.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Sidestepping the clutch means pushing the clutch in all the way, put the car in 1st gear, and then moving your foot to the side so that the pressure of the spring engages the clutch. If you do that you will break something in your driveline. Possibly many things.

Quick Reply: ACT Clutch installed...WOW!!