Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

NO2 or CO2?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO2 or CO2?

Does the type of gas used make a big difference?
The choice of NO2 an or CO2 for the N Tercooler system
Refills may be about the same price or cheaper for CO2 since it is used in the food industry

http://www.importperformanceparts.co...ercooler_1.gif

Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

the ntercooler system gives absolutely no horsepower gains. i have tried it and so has my buddy on his sti and neither of us noticed any gains from either the butt dyno or a mustang awd dyno. don't waste your money. jason
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:37 PM

actually the intercoolder DOES increase output because it cools the intake air which makes it denser meaning you have more air/fuel in each stroke of the engine, more air/fuel = more power

however this really only adds power when you're driving the engine hard since the intercooler temp and the temp of the air inside it is dif, under regular driving the intercooler's temp stays rather cool and waterspray or liquid gas spray systems dont change it enough to make a difference, however when driving hard (high revs high boost high temps) the intercooler's temp rises significantly and by spraying water or CO2 or NO2 you can actually lower the intake air temperature enough to make a difference

so if you're just at a red light about to smoke some kid in an m3, spraying the intercooler with a bit of water does nothing, however after a few laps on the track this system could come in handy

and regarding the type of gas used, it depends on the tempreature of these gasses, liquid CO2 is not as cold as liquid nitrogen but i doubt many people use that in their car :P
water is usually more than enough for most applications since its easily accesible
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will onyl make as much power as it can cool inside temps down.. if you have driven i nthe summer then in the winter you can tell the difference, so if you can get your air temps similar to what they are in the winter (60 or lower) you will def see a HUGE difference... 5, 10, or 15 degrees isn't going to show u results that much, atleast not enough to make the system worth while... I would use whatever gas is most cost effective, I know CO2 is cheaper becasue its so widely used and easy to get. But how much colder is one from the other...

just a side note, when I use to go to the track I'd pack my IC with Dry Ice, its melting point is roughly 120 degrees below zero
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

it has been proven that the only significant horsepower gains from such a system involves using nitrous in the tank. by using co2 your gains (if any) will be minimal. but with nitrous people have noticed gains because the gas ends up getting sucked up through the intake and they are actually getting a little shot of nitrous that's giving them their horsepower gains. jason
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Lets use this as a perspective---water injection. Many big horsepower cars use it, only when the "GO" knob is turned up. You've really gotta take a look at the intake temps. If you can decrease the intake temps significantly enough to allow more fuel to be burned safer, then you can make more power. When you have a straight turbo with no I/C, you can only run a certain amount of boost due to high intake temps and PSI. Add cooler temps, more condensed air and you can run more boost safely. Cool the intercooler even more, efficiency goes up, more air and fuel can be added safely and power goes up. Not taking advantage of the increased efficiency means no power gains.

Try intercooling a naturally aspirated car and it'll have the same uselessness.