Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Darkhorse" Garibaldi Imagineering billet fuel cell skeleton[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edited My apologies to the mods.

Didnt realize there was 2 threads on this topic

Last edited by EvoJimbo; Aug 26, 2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJimbo
why did the mods delete my post? It was not offensive in anyway.

Artist's work is worth more when they are deceased. All I said was christian's works are peices of art.

The forum police gotta calm down.

No kidding. They have deleted mine too before. It's not like it's hard to start another website. I remember the forums when I had my 350Z. The mods started micromanaging and almost EVERYONE who was active went somewhere else. I like this site. I hope it doesn't get to that here.

Darkhorse, you truly are engineering your imagination into reality! post more pics of work you do! I am amazed!

Last edited by EVOTEXAS; Aug 26, 2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

I know, really. I am looking for a good bridge to jump off of

Yes Jack, just a Bridgeport and a 15 inch engine lathe, and some raw aluminum, bar stock, stainless hardware, 4 sets of taps, boring bits, tool bits, cut off bits, 5 end mills, 2 gallons of lubricant and cutting fluids, about six days of time, a box of bandaids (I have a few cuts and blisters from the razor shap, hot chips landing on my arms OUCH!) not to mention the t shirts, and jeans and sox I basically ruined, or the countless chips of aluminum the not only blanketed the area around the mill by about 4 inches, but I was still picking out of my hair when I went to sleep at night after I took a shower

Yeah, a CNC would be great, but it doesnt make the job any easier , you still have to run a prototype, and then get the programming down. It just buys you repeatability. It loses something with the CNC, it becomes too mechanical.

If you look closely, you can see some mistakes and nicks I made on the peice, or the scribe lines that went a bit deep, but that lets you know that it was hand made, sort of like the hammer marks you woudl see and feel under the fenders of old handmade cars.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Why can't I live closer to New Jersey........
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by metaphysical
That holds 12 gallons?
or....................... a small naked man who digs S&M if you can stuff his scrawny *** into the bars and get his head up through the hole
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

simply awesome, but weird. I've had 3 vehicles with fuel cells and in none of them did I keep the stock tank.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, I design stuff all the time, but never have the time to go through the fabrication process.. Impressive work.. I used to do ALOT of CNC stuff so It amazes me how someone can do it with a standard mill (and other misc tools)

Your absolutely right though, If you can do it on a CNC, you can generally do it by hand if you have the time and patience.. I'm impressed every time its done.. You definitely should take some of these pics and have them published in Machinists Monthly or the other machinist mag..
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, excellent work.

Would this be feasible to use on a daily driver just to extend the fuel capacity? I'd love to have another 12gal.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Damn, I design stuff all the time, but never have the time to go through the fabrication process.. Impressive work.. I used to do ALOT of CNC stuff so It amazes me how someone can do it with a standard mill (and other misc tools)

Your absolutely right though, If you can do it on a CNC, you can generally do it by hand if you have the time and patience.. I'm impressed every time its done.. You definitely should take some of these pics and have them published in Machinists Monthly or the other machinist mag..
long ago in the 70s my father was a machinist. around 1980, boeing came to him and asked him if he was interested in training to be a programmer. months later he's writing code and today he could plot that part in a few hours in catia (appears to have no complex surfaces), but couldn't possibly machine that by hand.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by darkhorse
or....................... a small naked man who digs S&M if you can stuff his scrawny *** into the bars and get his head up through the hole
You must think of some wierd **** while working that mill, eh?

Nice work. I'm still wondering if I can afford to have you rework my cylinder head.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

darkhorse: did you make a battery tie down? if you've made one that fits the BR small battery kit i'd love to have one

This is the battery:

http://buschurracing.com/EVO8_BatKit1_Large.jpg
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, very impressive work. I can't believe that's not CNC!
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
simply awesome, but weird. :
I know right? It is a bit weird looking. There were a number of times throught the machining process and layout where I stood there and thought, "God this is going to be so freakin ugly, why am I even bothering?"

I also came about this close once or twice to unbolting it from the bed and throwing it up main street and just saying **** it.

But I guess it turned out pretty cool, I made it up as I went along, there is no blueprint for it, nor the battery tray for that matter, which is posted up here as well justchil.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You are officially insane... but definitely a genius. I'm quite jealous you have the time and the means to do such work. I took a path a long time ago that doesn't allow me my own time anymore.

Damn fine work sir... I spent so much time admiring the work, that I have not even noticed whether it is "pretty" or not.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

You make me wish I was still in school since I had access to CNC machines at our machine shop.

Quick Reply: "Darkhorse" Garibaldi Imagineering billet fuel cell skeleton[MERGED]