Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Darkhorse" Garibaldi Imagineering billet fuel cell skeleton[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by propellerhead
You must think of some wierd **** while working that mill, eh?

Its all the fumes from the blue layout fluid- man that is wicked stuff!

last week, when I was doing the battery bracket, I remember seeing squirrels with afros riding past the shop on new Yamaha R-1s.

Last edited by darkhorse; Aug 26, 2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkhorse
...last week, when I was doing the battery bracket, I remember seeing squirrels with afros riding past the shop on new Yamaha R-1s.

I'm eyeing the ZX 10 though...
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice work.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: My stupid webserver isn't up.

Looks fantastic. Is all your work done custom or are you producing anything?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

beautiful work man! ...it seems you can create just about anything...
Old Aug 27, 2004, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You definitely inspired me to pick up a new CNC machine, I regret ever getting away from the machining and CAD stuff I used to do.. I just sent out some queries for a CNC Capable 4 axis mill, and Lathe package, and priced out the stepper motor and control box... Something my shop has been lacking for a LONG TIME.. Only problem is, the new equipment may use up the space I had left to store my Race car.. LOL
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't there a more conventional mounting method that wouldn't weigh nearly as much as that thing?

Yeah, that thing looks great, but it also looks pretty heavy to me.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
Isn't there a more conventional mounting method that wouldn't weigh nearly as much as that thing?

Perhaps laying one up in carbon fiber?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have a feeling its going to be very lightweight just like the battery mount...

Terry S
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Carbon fiber, sure, I'll fire up my autclave and make one of those this Saturday

Actually, the whole thing was made out of aluminum obviously, and while I didnt weigh it, the entire thing couldnt have weighed more than 7 or 8 lbs with the hardware. The cell weighed more than the skeleton. But it was strong as hell, after I put it together without the cell, I stood in the center of the platform and could jump up and down on it, and it didnt budge. I couldnt find any 300lbs BBW, so my 170 lbs *** had to suffice, that was the official stress testing , but at 12 gallons, and about 7 lbs per gallon, that woudl be 84 lbs with full fuel load hanging from it, so I dont think it will move much, plus the cell is hung from the mounting plate flange, and encased on four sides by the post, and cross braced underneath, so its pretty secure.

What was the alternative? Steel straps bolted to the floor? More conventional way? Sure, there always is- but what fun would that be
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX

normally in a production type car the stock gas tank is removed and a cell is added in its place. many people will remove the trunk floorpan and then install a new sheetmetal pan lower so that the cell can be as low as possible but accessible from the topside. if you're racing in a class of course you'd want to observe your particular rules govering this.

if you just want a street driven vehicle that doesn't suck air during hard cornering with less than 1/3 tank left, I'd look into a surge tank, alternate fuel pump ideas, etc. I sure wouldn't cut the trunk out of my daily driver.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Man, you hit the nail on the head. It sure would have made life a helluva lot easier had I not gone up to pick up the cell only to find that it was a plastic cases ATL Well Cell made for a BMW, going in the back of an EVO. Needless to say it fit inthe spare tire well like socks on a rooster.

So the cell was already bought, and yes, a conventional square, metal cased cell would have made things less complicated, make some brackets or cut the floor and poke it out of the bottom of the car. But, being round made it difficutl to run straight brackets across, and being made from plastic made me nervous about wanting to hang it out of the bottom of the car where it coudl get hit, so viola! Here was what I came up with.

I did talk to the owner about using some liquid nails or double sided tape, but we agreed that it would be too messy
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Any idea what the stock tank weighs? I probably would have put a much larger tank in, but I do like the tank because it fits in the spare tire well, I wish they had one of those available when I built one of my older cars.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I dont know what the stock tank weighs, I never seen one. i could be wrong, but I beleive it too is made from plastic.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by darkhorse
I dont know what the stock tank weighs, I never seen one. i could be wrong, but I beleive it too is made from plastic.
I bought 1 evo8 from the dealer and it weights nothing, also, it is metal not plastic.

Quick Reply: "Darkhorse" Garibaldi Imagineering billet fuel cell skeleton[MERGED]