Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transforming Mirage to Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2001 | 01:19 PM

Transforming Mirage to Evo

Ok,

After a brief research on the internet, here is what I found so far.
There is a good probability to transform a regular 4 door Mirage to an Evo.

As far as prices goes, here is what I found.
- Engine, AWD, electrical, cabling, basically everything that will
make your car runs minus wheels and tires. US$ 6000-7000.
- Body kits including painting. US$ 2000-3000
- Labor. US$ 2000

Other thing that needs research is;
- Wheather the car will be able to pass emission
- What would the insurance company say
- Will your local dealer can make a repair, or even an oil change

Keep in mind that the bottom portion of the car need to be modified also since I believe the fuel tank block the route to where you install the read gear box. So this needs to be modified.

If all of the above are true, then it is cheaper to make this happend instead of getting an Evo 7.

NOTE: this is just a rough estimate. I could forgetting something.
Old Nov 30, 2001 | 04:41 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

It's still missing the stiffened chassis and you'd pretty much have to get some kind of personal loan to afford all the parts and labor. I also wonder who would be qualified to perform the work.

Seems like too many potential problems.

Mark
Old Dec 17, 2001 | 10:18 AM

$2K for labour??? Where are you getting this done??? I've watched a certain rally prep shop do a Mirage/EVO conversion and it costs WAY more than $2K.

It'll cost about $20/25K to do a proper conversion including cost of the donor Mirage.

As for the unibody of the MiragEVO you'll need to graft the EVO floorpan onto the back of the Mirage to have room for the prop shaft, EVO suspension pick up points, differentials, etc. Definitely, not an easy task.

In IL, AWD cars don't have to be run on a dyno for emissions. Just a sniffer test. With proper cats the MiragEVO should pass. It might be hard to convince the emissions testing place that your Mirage that is registered as a FWD vehicle is AWD. That might throw up a red flag with them.

Insurance - You'll either have to insure it as a 12K Mirage & risk the possibility of getting into an accident and not your insurance not covering you because your car isn't what it really is OR you insure it for $35k and pay out the a$$ for it.

-myk

Last edited by mykrrrr; Dec 17, 2001 at 10:45 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2001 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

What about transmission (incl. gearbox, diffs, etc.), suspension, brakes, seats, exhaust, wheels, all engine auxiliaries. There's a lot missing out of your calculation.... 2000$ labour, that'll be the right price if you get it done in India or something...
Old Dec 17, 2001 | 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

just reread your post, your saying 6000-7000 $ for engine and transmission? What is that? a propshaft and the pistons?!? That price is never, ever, not a hope in hell correct that your quoting.
Old Dec 24, 2001 | 06:30 AM

Smile

Speaking of conversions... Where is a reliable source to get an imported engine / drivetrain? I've been thinking of doing one of these conversions and I think it'd be more fun to do this, opposed to just have one imported that is RHD.

Thanks!

Tim
Skewer
Old Dec 24, 2001 | 09:14 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I think most engine importers could get you one, but you'd have to ask as it's not a common engine they bring over here. Expect to pay a lot though. The imported Evos that are coming here are actually all LHD RS II models.

Mark
Old Dec 24, 2001 | 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Import a used evo vi to us and then you change all the numbers of the chassis and engine to the ones of your mirage, and you trow the mirage away!
Old Mar 25, 2002 | 10:17 PM

awd conversion.

I know a guy here in Vancouver who has a 93 mirage coupe. HE HAS MAD IT AWD. from his description to me he basically took the mounts for the rearend and welded em in to his car. I've only seen a picture of his car. But he tells me he has drove it to work before and I asked some of his co-workers when he was not around, they said yes he has drove it there, but it doesnt' look "pretty" possibly not a super clean install? I'm not sure. I will someday go look at it as he lives bout 10mi. from me and dont know his number only email and employer. He is a older guy who is into "rallying". so the awd mirage is possible. I dont know how it drives tho.

Peace,
Paul
Old Mar 25, 2002 | 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

MirageS, yeah there are AWD Mirages running out there. Here is one:

http://www.bensrallypage.com/forsale/drozd_mitsu.html

I know couple of the shops that do AWD conversions on Mirage...TAD and RRE.
Old Mar 25, 2002 | 10:31 PM

That is nice. I guess if RRE can awd a spyder conv. they can awd anything. lol... I'm more into the 1-3 evo cause, well. 30k for a mirage is a bit much. I got my 93 mirage S for 1000 and my 92 awd for 1500, put em together somehow and you got a 2500 dollar awd mirage. although, that car looked VERY nice.

Paul
Old Mar 25, 2002 | 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

But would the floor panel of the 1G fit the Mirage? that's the question I have too, I am more into EVO I-III IF I'm going to do a AWD Mirage. 97+ is just too costly...
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

First off Evo engine cost's about 6k you also need all the axle's differentials and all the wiring and you need to move your gas tank, you need to find the drive shaft, you need to also strenghten your chasis becuase the stock mirage chasis is thiner metal than the evo's so it has alot of body roll when cornering you also need to upgrade your suspension the engine is much heavier. Also your brakes if you wish to be able to stop. so with all that and Labor to do it your looking at around 18k...O and that car wouldnt pass smog regulations. I know this becuase my friend wanted to make his mirage into an EVO but after talking to are mechanic freinds from japan they said its cheaper to just buy the damn car....
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 05:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by EVO7
First off Evo engine cost's about 6k...
You can get JDM 4g63's for under 2 grand in the US. Installing them is another issue altogether however.
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

JUST TO INSTALL A FREAKIN TURBO COSTS LIKE $850!!!!

sorry for the excitement, I'm just mad pissed at the quote I got for a turbo install...

Quick Reply: Transforming Mirage to Evo