Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo FMIC questions...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo FMIC questions...

somewhat of a newbie/stupid question... but theres no evos here (yet)

What is the difference between an evo3/5/7 fmic (the evo 3 does come with one correct?) Does anyone have the dimentions... and does anyone have a pic of an evo without the front bumper (or a diagram)... to help me get an idea for tubing.

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:14 AM

what size injector do the evo 5 / evo 7 use? i believe the evo3 uses a yellow top 512cc injector.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

a FEW other things....say ...uhhh .... the engine!!!! Damn
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Claudius
Injector size on Evo 5, 6 and 7 is 560 cc/min.

Here's a picture of my Evo 6 with the front bumper (and a few other parts ) removed.
thanks, you just saved me some money... :P

I was hoping to get an idea about ic-piping but that pictures nice too ;P

Last edited by CooperAWD; Oct 25, 2002 at 11:27 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claude is that the stock FMIC on the TME? I've never seen this view of the IC up agaisnt the rest of the car. Just makes it look massive.

Erik
Old Oct 25, 2002, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the best FMIC you can put in the EVO VII/VIII anyways?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

DAMN! That IC is just massive looking! If that is the stock IC I have never realized how freakin big that is with the bumper on! That thing is bigger than some radiators!!!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BurnOutz
Over here TRUST/GREDDY is very popular for all models...and HKS[JAPAN] has released a new IC for the EVO VII [type H] they changed the core but kept the overall size of IC the same. No one that I know of owns one yet but I'll ask around...so stay tuned so far as IC go...overall size is not as important as the core (thickness and ridge count) i.e. look at most of aftermarket IC for FD(RX-7) not big at all but the thickness...very nice
Old Oct 25, 2002, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ishi

Over here TRUST/GREDDY is very popular for all models...and HKS[JAPAN] has released a new IC for the EVO VII [type H] they changed the core but kept the overall size of IC the same. No one that I know of owns one yet but I'll ask around...so stay tuned so far as IC go...overall size is not as important as the core (thickness and ridge count) i.e. look at most of aftermarket IC for FD(RX-7) not big at all but the thickness...very nice
right now M2 (mostly mazda) makes the best & biggest SMICs for fds, and Greddy and Blitz are the best (most popular) makers of FMICs. Doing a FMIC on an fd is a tough job though. It usually necessitates removal of the AC unit, or at least you have to move it. There is also the issue of airflow after the installation of the FMIC. Because the radiator needs to be shifted up, it is no longer in the flow of air. Water temps go up - and fds are already prone to overheating. Many people go with uber large (700+ cubin inch) SMICs are move their battery to the compartment behind the passenger seat.

basically good intercoolers are good intercoolers - as long as they fit, and the piping links up clean you can use whatever you want. Blitz, Greddy (Thrust), HKS, Sparco - all are very good. you can either wait for prefab kits to come out, or you can by the right size IC and go nuts.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by BurnOutz
that would depend on your boost level... if you have a huge front mount with out really needing it... your really just losing flow.

How much should an evo7 fmic cost? (to compare)
Old Oct 25, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Claudius

I dont know what exactly the thought behind your question was, but the standard injectors are good for upto 400 bhp at 85% duty cycle with increased base fuel pressure of 4 bars approximately (60 PSI).

Oh

I'm not a fan of upgraded I/C piping. Would like to get the air intake pipe straighter though (on the Evo 6).
Well, a good set of 550cc injectors runs around $400+ USD... i've found a guy parting out several evo's... thats where you saved me money...

I'm also getting the FMIC... not sure how well it will fit though... and since this will all be on a DSM e/t/l instead of an evo, i'll be looking at custom piping (designing my own... then getting mandrel bent tubing done at a shop)... that is where the ic-piping thought comes in.

Does it make a difference which side is the inlet and exit side of the FMIC on the evo's (can I reverse it and it still work the same)? i'm having trouble figuring out how to compensate for... well everything being on the opposite side of evo4 (5?)+'s

What is the inlet and outlet size on the IC? I may just have to flip it upside down and custom mount it...

Since I got a knowledgeable person helping me out here... I’ll ask some wheel/brake questions.

What wheel is on the Evo5's? is this a mitsu wheel? or a OZ etc... (i do not know aftermarket wheels at all)

http://www.lancerevolutions.com/gall...shop_1_a_1.jpg here is a picture so you know what wheels I'm talking about.

What is the specs on those wheels? Width, height, weight, and offset? And what are the specs on the evo7 17inch wheels?

What is the difference between the Evo 3 to 4 pertaining to the brakes/hub etc? I’ve been told I can’t use the big brembos off the evo 5… and that evo3 is the same as a 2nd gen DSM.

Thanks, even though i'm sure you regret helping me out now

Last edited by CooperAWD; Oct 25, 2002 at 08:42 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 09:10 PM

Well, to clarify a bit more...

The stock injector size on the AWD DSM's is 450cc... I’ll be looking at a walbro "whinebro" 255lph fuel pump... all this for a evo 3 exhaust manifold (ported), 16g (turbine ported to 7cm2 and clipped), and o2 housing... eventually (when i go to my moderately built engine +ported head) going to a bit of a larger turbo (i'm sure i'll want more power by then)... not sure what yet, but it'll be from Forced Performance (i have friends that work there... and i think they do great quality work).

My (1g) pistons and rods... internals are pretty weak i suppose... comparatively speaking to the other 4g63 performance engines. a lot of people upgrade to 2g pistons and rods... I’m thinking about JE pistons and eagle rods if I don’t go cheap with the 2g's...even though I’m not shooting for 10/11's, there’s nothing wrong with having the strength right?

So what turbo are you going with Cladius? Something like a 20g? have you looked at any of the FP turbos? (forcedperformance.com)

Oh yea, thought of a few more questions...is anyone able to tell me (or show me) what a evo 5 momo steering wheel looks like? is it similiar to the evo7? (mines kinda trashed and a buddy wants the evo7)

Anyone have recomendations on a 2.5 inch inlet muffler thats not real flashy looking... i'm not crazy about aftermarket exhaust.... or aftermarket wheels as mentioned or hinted at in my previous post...thats just my opinion though (dont get offended if you have aftermarket wheels/exhaust... i just like the sleeper type look)

Last edited by CooperAWD; Oct 25, 2002 at 09:25 PM.