Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help a Noob out! Please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help a Noob out! Please

Hello all, obviously this is my first post and any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways i just got my evo last tuesday (used with 13k miles), you should congratulate me i traded in my Hemi for it . Well a few days ago i noticed that when i get on the gas in 3ed or 4th gear the rpm's seem to pause around 4k insted of a consistant increase.... I diddnt think to much about it since i figured it might jsut be a BOV problem or something simple. But on my way to work today (about 55-60deg. F outside) i noticed while driving again when i punch it my rpm's will shoot up from 3k upto about 4.5k... but the car does not accelerate very much.... then the rpm's will drop back down to around 3.5 (without letting off the gas) and it will hook back up again and drive like normal. I only notice it doing this in 3ed and 4th but that might be jsut because its easyer to notice in these gears.

I dont have a Boost Guage to help identify the problem, and any help would be apprecited. The first thing that came to my mind was the clutch, but i am praying its not that, i am not in the mood to replace a clutch in a car i jsut got!

Thanks for your time.

tweist99

Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like your clutch isn't grabbing
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

That is the sure sign of a bad clutch. Sorry to have to tell you.

Good luck!! Congrats on the purchase!!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:50 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Yup, almost definitely the clutch. Don't be a cheap *** when you replace it and get one that will last you a long time. I replaced mine with an ACT clutch and really wish I had spent the extra money for a twin plate.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:56 AM

So assumeing i am lookin at replaceing the clutch can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in doing so... if i replace it i am defintally going to go with a better clutch and whatever elce i can replace while i am in there.. Thanks for your help even despite the bad news.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
just as a refrence... it's about $1100 to have clutch replaced by the dealership
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Go for an Exede Twin Disk, one of the cheaper twin disk clutches (still expensive though) but it includes a lightweight flywheel. Make sure you replace the throwout bearing while you're in there, and put in some good trans and diff fluid while you're at it.

It's not a simple job to do yourself, it takes most experienced at home mechanics over a day to do. It is also an expensive job to do if you pay someone to do it. Turbotrix quoted me 600 for labor alone. There is a how-to writeup in the how-to forum.

- Steve
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:04 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweist99
So assumeing i am lookin at replaceing the clutch can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in doing so... if i replace it i am defintally going to go with a better clutch and whatever elce i can replace while i am in there.. Thanks for your help even despite the bad news.
I paid a little over $500 for my clutch and somewhere in the region of $600 (yes, $600) to get it installed. A good twin disk clutch is going to cost you at least $1,200. I have seen people pay as little as $300 for the install but you'll have to shop around.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:18 AM

Well looks like i am going to be raiseing some hell at the dealership i bought it form. since i have onle put about 100 miles on it this is kinda BS, I am about to become a royal pain in the @$$ for Alaska Sales and Service
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

If that is the case then, make sure they put in a new one for free.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

i am assuming the guy sold it just as the clutch was going... im afraid the seller kinda ripped u off

and since u bought it used at 13k and clutch is going, he probably ragged on that evo... most people with 13k miles have clutch that grabs fine...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

oh wow you bought this used from a dealer? i believe its law you have a few month of warranty... u better go back and claim ur clutch fix
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure its not the clutch. Does it feel like the car is bogging, lose power then kick back in? My car did this when I tried different spark plugs. After I put the stock plugs back in, it corrected the problem. I would check your plugs and see if they are fouling first before the clutch.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:09 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
I'm pretty sure its not the clutch. Does it feel like the car is bogging, lose power then kick back in? My car did this when I tried different spark plugs. After I put the stock plugs back in, it corrected the problem. I would check your plugs and see if they are fouling first before the clutch.
He says the RPMs climb when he punches and the car doesn't go anywhere. If he was bogging then they would drop. The only way the RPMs will rise and the car not accelerate is if something in the drivetrain is slipping.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:39 PM

UPDATE: So after spending 3 hours in the used car dealers office (a chevy dealer) and getting the chevy service manager to drive the car it is now in the parking lot outside the mitsubishi dealer. They are going to pull it apart and report back to me and the other dealer and it looks like chevy is going to be fronting the bill for my new clutch . Oh and they gave me a nifty little Cavallier (P.O.S.) to drive till its fixed. Who knows mabie i will fall in love with my rental.... ummm then again... JK... i am gunna miss my evo for the next 3-5 days

Thank you all for your quick responces. It was greatly appreciated