Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is the best way to modify an EVO8 for power and relaiblity

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to modify an EVO8 for power and relaiblity

Hello I do not own a EVO but I am here to try to find out some information about one for someone.

Basically I need to know what it would be the bottom line best parts for this car speaking of strictly only engine performance. Money is not a factor for this guy. (I wish I could say that about my own car. ) But anyways what would be the best way to go about this in stages?

State One I am asuming it would be simular to any other Turbo car:
Intake, upgrade FMIC, Downpipe, Exhaust, High flow cat etc.

Stage two
Clutch, boost controller, metal headgasket etc etc etc

Am I on the right track? Which brands are the best and could you guys help me lead this guy in the right direction. Sorry about the vauge question.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AEM. Best reliable source to control most of the stuff you put in your car.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It depends on how much power ypu are looking for. An exhaust, cams, fuel pump upgrade, boost controller and/or some type other type of engine management would be a good start. A clutch not long after that. Look at Vishnu or Works if you want a package deal. Other than that the usual quality brands are good Blitz, HKS, Apex'i and so on. Search around there is alot of good info on here.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NiteKids
Hello I do not own a EVO but I am here to try to find out some information about one for someone.

Basically I need to know what it would be the bottom line best parts for this car speaking of strictly only engine performance. Money is not a factor for this guy. (I wish I could say that about my own car. ) But anyways what would be the best way to go about this in stages?

State One I am asuming it would be simular to any other Turbo car:
Intake, upgrade FMIC, Downpipe, Exhaust, High flow cat etc.

Stage two
Clutch, boost controller, metal headgasket etc etc etc

Am I on the right track? Which brands are the best and could you guys help me lead this guy in the right direction. Sorry about the vauge question.
Get a VISHNU Stage 1+ and gain 80WHP with the stock airbox
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

"What is the best way to modify an EVO8 for power and relaiblity"

The less you do to your car, the more reliable it is. If I had extra cash I would do AEM(tunning from turbotrix), 3" turboback exhaust, EBC, upper intercooler pipping and filter. This should give you somewhere between 330-350+awhp. That's plenty fast and should be very reliable.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
"What is the best way to modify an EVO8 for power and relaiblity"

The less you do to your car, the more reliable it is. If I had extra cash I would do AEM(tunning from turbotrix), 3" turboback exhaust, EBC, upper intercooler pipping and filter. This should give you somewhere between 330-350+awhp. That's plenty fast and should be very reliable.
330-350whp w/o cams??? I don't think so. You better put cams, injectors, headstuds, and fuel pump in that list.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

330-350whp w/o cams??? I don't think so. You better put cams, injectors, headstuds, and fuel pump in that list.
I'm not sure about that. Granted I don't know a whole lot about the subject but if I remember correctly Turbo Trix quoted me around 340-350 whp with just an mbc, 3" turboback (catless), intake, and EMS. I'm sure it was probably a pretty high estimate though.

If you do some searches you will see that regardless of the amount of horse power you are looking for, the EMS is a great way to go if you have the money. Total tunability (timing, boost, a/f, etc.), which is important for things like cams that would throw the timing off. But basically if you do a couple searches and spend some time on the board you will get a good idea of what kind of mods the faster cars are running. Good tuning is also important. FWIW.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info provided so far.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More to least safe in my subjective opinion:
1. Some sort of engine management (MBC = death in untrained hands i.e. not reliable). Look for some sort of piggy back device or a reflash.
2. Turbo back exhaust (most tuners have said intake side of things is pointless but the debate continues)
3. Fuel pump (for reliability)
4. Cam gears
5. It goes on and on injectors, turbo, etc
Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooptie157
Headstuds and fuel pump is a good idea but you don't need cams or injectors with the EMS to get those numbers. TurboTrix told me they could get 350-370 out of my car as is by only adding cams and the AEM EMS. They get 300 WHP out of a stock EVO with EMS only. That is a more powerful mod than Vishnu Stage 1 plus it's cheaper!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

best way is to leave it alone
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hooptie157
Hooptie157, there are several people here that dyno'd 350+awhp with AEM, 3" turboback, mbc and filter. Turbotrix tuning and AEM are an awesome combination my man.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

One more thing to add that should make a difference as well: I've heard from other threads that TurboTrix has a pretty conservative dyno so it makes numbers like that just that much more impressive. I am worried about passing emissions though, which is also something to be considered (no OBD-II plug). You could replace the EMS with the stcok ECU for emissions but I am not sure the car will even run with some power mods (cams, and maybe the MAP conversion? etc.). If anyone has any experience with this let me know, and I'm sure it would be helpful here as well. JMO.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
Hooptie157, there are several people here that dyno'd 350+awhp with AEM, 3" turboback, mbc and filter. Turbotrix tuning and AEM are an awesome combination my man.
Oh yeah.... prove it (post some dyno sheets). I've SEEN people dynoing with cams, headstuds, EMS, injectors, full turbo back, intake, and MBC and only pull 333whp.

I myself pulled 366 whp without a cat and 272's. The car right before mine pulled 353 with 264's. So you tell me how is 350whp possible w/o cams (pump gas and safe tune)?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Out motor is reliable for horsepower...... Its just the transmission you have to worry about.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to modify an EVO8 for power and relaiblity