Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Cut, :(

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha thanks andrew, can you tell me some about fuel cut and the xede? Yeah I knew this would happen but i didnt figure it would because of the rain...It doesnt even feel cool today, but i guess the rain helps kool things off. I just wanted some more opinions of things to do instead of turning boost down. I tried it again tonight to make sure that it was in fact boost cut. 1,2,3 gear WOT were fine 4th gear, bam! I threw a CEL after tonight. I just reset it though. Xede or UTEC are closer.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Well luckily today, it has not done it. I dont really see how bigger fuel injectors would help anything because I think my problem is ECU controlled.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Guys, I'm new and here mainly cause after I installed my typhoon intake and cat-back exhaust I immediately experienced the 'hitting the wall' in 1,2,3 and 4th at various 4000+ rpms.

My buddy found the problem at a forum online (not sure which) and it's a fuel cut that happens when the intake is modified and the cpu is fooled into thinking its in an over boost position with the 'new' air flow readings... so cuts fuel.

The guys at Vishnu were the only ones who described the problem and so I decided to listen to them. (This after calling many popular shops who never seemed to have experienced this prob before). Anyways today i replaced the intake with the original and my tech just called to say that the problem is gone. I'll test later.

The guys at Vishnu do not recomment intakes (not even on their race cars according to them). I purchased the xede/xede flash and expect to re-install my intake when my xede arrives.

Hope this helps someone out. By the way, I'm in the caribbean and it's always hot here. So this means that it does not have to be cold to 'hit the wall'.

Now its time to help me out. I'm thinking of cams next. what do you guys recommend?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
maybe the boost gauge is broken... i woulnt trust Autometer gauges as boost. and a/f ratio
Old Sep 9, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Just back from my test drive with my factory intake back in and my k&n typhoon in my trunk. My car's back, Fells a bit slower cause the tech tried to solve my problem by turning down my boost (at the waistgate).

Note to all planning on changing intakes to be careful.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 07:48 AM

BTW my 6 RS-2 used to hit fuel cut stock sometimes when it was cold outside under heavy load.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 08:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Since the fall is coming, it is good to remind new owners that after market products such as the HKS Fuel Cut Defender are not recommend to bypass fuel cut.

Most FCD's clamp the air signal from the MAF to a max value, which results in a lean AFR above that value. They can and have resulted in blown motors. And some are designed to work with a 0-5v MAP sensor and will not work with our frequency based MAP sensor.

The recommended approach is to install the proper supporting mods then add an ECU reflash, Piggy Back AFC or an after market ECU. Then boost can be safely adjusted to the level comensurate with your modifications.

Speedlimit...
Old Sep 20, 2004, 08:34 PM

ques about fuel cut. If you rev the engine WOT you will experience ignition cut when it bounces off of the rev limiter correct? I had someone try and tell me that if you miss a gear, for instance, and bounce the tach that you are hitting fuel cut and you could melt your pistons if your not careful. I had to argue with him on the topic and I want to prove him wrong. You hit fuel cut when the MAF senses over a preset amount of airflow to keep the engine from reving to the moon and ignition cut is when you bounce the tach. Someone please correct or agree with me so I can prove a point. Thanks, Daniel

Live your life..
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:25 AM

ttt
Old Sep 23, 2004, 09:42 AM

can anyone answer this? I need to prove a point or get one proven to me..