Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3L Stroker Question 4G64 100mm Crank

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3L Stroker Question 4G64 100mm Crank

Hey guys. Well as some of you know i have been on a mission to get my EVO engine rebuilt. So far i got everything Blueprinted and Balanced, Ross .20 over pistons, Eagle rods, and a full head rebuild.

The question i have is that i came across a 4G64 100mm crank for a very good price. I was wondering if i could get this crank and throw it in with the rods and pistons i got and will it work? If so that should give me the 2.3L. The only thing im worried about is rod length. I dont know with bigger crank if the rod length would get smaller or longer whatever it may be? Or will the normall rods for the Evo work with that crank?

Any info would help.

Thanks Guys

Chris
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock crank is 88mm, so if you use your current pistons, the piston top will protrude past the deck surface by 6mm. You'll need to get stroker pistons, which are 6mm shorter. You'll be able to reuse your rods.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
The stock crank is 88mm, so if you use your current pistons, the piston top will protrude past the deck surface by 6mm. You'll need to get stroker pistons, which are 6mm shorter. You'll be able to reuse your rods.
OK so need new pistons. DAMN i just got new pistons. Oh well there goes that idea. I guess i will wait till i get another block.

Thanx
Chris
Old Sep 8, 2004, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
sell the whole kit & buy some custom rods (longer) & pistons (shortest piston pin height possible).

Eagle rods.............you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WOT
sell the whole kit & buy some custom rods (longer) & pistons (shortest piston pin height possible).

Eagle rods.............you get what you pay for.
Well thats what i was thinking. But after getting everything coated and the pistons i got the tops ring holed or whatever they call it and the rods and the pistons have been balanced. So i would have to find somone that would be interested in that. As far as the eagle rods they actually are very well built. Basically you pay for the name on the crower and the paiter rods. The only problem with the eagle are normally they are way off balance but not anymore!!

Chris
Old Sep 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
The only problem with the eagle are normally they are way off balance but not anymore!!

Chris
I have seen different, then again so has other people!!

I built a 388 small block for a friend & the big ends on these rods were all over the place. My dad bought a crank for his 500 c.i. mopar & that had rod journals +/- .0015"......WTF

Thats what I am refering to. As long as everything measures out alright, you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Key word "measure"

can you elaborate on the top ring thing you had done or post a pic?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Christ:

What I have read, is that you have to change only the pistons. Use the crank shaft and your rods. The pistons can be found at Magnusmotorsports.com, look at engine hard parts, there is a set of pistons 9.0:1 for 2.4 stroker. Price is $575.00. Hope this help.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JVELA
Hi Christ:

What I have read, is that you have to change only the pistons. Use the crank shaft and your rods. The pistons can be found at Magnusmotorsports.com, look at engine hard parts, there is a set of pistons 9.0:1 for 2.4 stroker. Price is $575.00. Hope this help.
Thank You!! This does help allot. I guess the only other question is what compression ration should i go for now? The ones i bought for my 2.0 build were 8:5:1 becouse i plan on pushing 35-40psi on C16 and around 24-25psi on pump. Should i stick with the 8:5:1 or should i look into the 9:1 for the stroker pistons?

Thanx
Chris
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Thank You!! This does help allot. I guess the only other question is what compression ration should i go for now? The ones i bought for my 2.0 build were 8:5:1 becouse i plan on pushing 35-40psi on C16 and around 24-25psi on pump. Should i stick with the 8:5:1 or should i look into the 9:1 for the stroker pistons?
If you want to run 24-25 psi on pump, I would suggest going w/ 8.5:1. You'll sacrifice a little off-boost power, but you'll make up for the lost power by being able to run more boost. Are you planning on running water injection?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
If you want to run 24-25 psi on pump, I would suggest going w/ 8.5:1. You'll sacrifice a little off-boost power, but you'll make up for the lost power by being able to run more boost. Are you planning on running water injection?
Yes i plan to run the aquamist controlled by the AEM.

Chris
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

I think that 8.5:1 on the stroker would be a custom piston and you should have to wait three to four weeks for the pistons to be ready. Call Marcus at Magnus, he would be very helpfull in your new project.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JVELA
I think that 8.5:1 on the stroker would be a custom piston and you should have to wait three to four weeks for the pistons to be ready. Call Marcus at Magnus, he would be very helpfull in your new project.
Well guys if its not one thing its another. After spending all this money on the engine (car only has 9K miles on it) every part in the engine is new. Every gasket, every bolt, every sensor, everything. Last night i was getting ready to send my turbo away to get it coated along with the pistons, manifold ect. and found out my GT35/40R exhaust wheel is all bent to $hit. When the piston let go the ring when into the turbo and did all kinds of damage. At first when i looked at it it was not visible until you actually took everythign apart. GREAT!!! Now the problem is the damn center housing on those turbos run $1000. So needless to say i might be holding off on the stroker kit and going with what i have with the Ross .20 over and stock crank blue printed and balanced. Thanx agian for your help though!!

CHris
Old Sep 9, 2004, 08:52 PM

damn... sad to hear that man.