Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about Evo hood vent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AiRicLy
a little water shouldn't damage the engine because the evo vii and viii come with a water sprayer inside the engine bay that sprays water under certain conditions.
Are you talking about the FMIC water spray, cuz that DOESN'T spray water into the engine bay, it sprays a mist of water in front of the intercooler.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

The name's DUMASS.. Not dumbass... lol
Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
The name's DUMASS.. Not dumbass... lol
I got a kick out of that commercial
Old Jan 13, 2003, 05:15 AM

To put this into perspective (cold water onto a hot engine block) understand that you can thrust your arm into a bucket of liquid nitrogen and pull it back out with no damage. I have done this and would sometimes splash unsuspecting chemistry students with liquid nitrogen to scare them (no damage, great effect). The temperature difference is analogous ... if you left your hand in liquid N2 for 20 seconds, it would shatter when you plopped it on the table...not good. So how can it be harmless if liquid N2 gets on you? It boils off instantly. When you thrust your arm into liquid N2, a vapor layer immediately forms between your skin and the nitrogen, thus keeping your arm insulated. The same is true with the engine block and water. Splash some water on the block and it immediately boils off and if you dunk it even into a puddle for a second, it won't be able to lose enough heat because of the immediate vapor layer. This has to do with the mass of metal in the engine block, heat conductivity of metal, and heat capacities...which I really won't bore you to tears with.
So those vents are absolutely no worry whatever except as people mentioned about electrical systems (but I think all those are well insulated in rubber, etc so even heavy rain isn't a problem. On the other hand, driving through water, deep enough to contact the block...I would think could be a serious problem if the engine were really hot.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, learn something new every day. Still dont want too much water to get in their cause it will get things dirty and over time cant be good for the metal parts under there.

My 2 cents
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:12 AM

Is it iron (ie cast), I though it was steel so it could be used for the rally car.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

I keep getting this image of my hand shattering....
Old Feb 1, 2003, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

i ate a cracker that was freshly taken out of a bucket of liquid nitrogen in TWO high school science classes...good stuff, especially the steam that came out of my nose

oh and when he was finished, he just dumped the whole bucket onto the ground. it looked like the fog you would see at rock concerts.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

if ya'll worried about the vent go for the sti its got a scoop so at least it's safer for car wash

and i recommand all evo owner wash your car infront of yoru garage so you at least can avoid spary water in the vent

winter time i would either garage the car or just let it stay dirty unless you got salt on the body then just rainse the side of the body instead a full car wash cuz the hood dont usually dont get dirty during winter

and buy a car cover incase it snows bad and your parents dotn let you park in the garage
Old Feb 1, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'd hope that anyone buying an EVO isn't living with their parents, and has a garage or carport at their disposal. Else... YOU SHOULD BE SPENDING THAT MONEY FOR COLLEGE. If you're already getting college, spend it on whiskey and hookers.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

I've been thinking about this one for a while too. It looks like while driving the fact that air is blasting towards the car wont allow the water in. It's when you wash the car that i'm pretty certain water will get in there. There's about a 3/4" between each gap in the vent grille.

Here's some pics of the EVO 8 hood:

Rob
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:09 AM

The manual for the Evo forbids going into automated car washes anyways, due to the rear wing
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

What about the car sitting in the rain? Yikes!
Old Mar 1, 2003, 06:42 PM

well.....i'm gettin an evo with the small wing, so if I just put some type of a cover over the vent would that be arght? if u thinkso...let me know wat cover u think would be arght
Old Mar 1, 2003, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

personally i don't think thier will be a problem no other evo has this problem and they all have hood vents w the slats and the mesh it's pretty much cover'd. yes the dude who had the kit with the hood vents is a diff story thats just some chicken wire over a hole.

Quick Reply: Question about Evo hood vent