Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about Evo hood vent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Evo hood vent

This might be a stupid question. You know those vents Evo has on top of it's hood, what's preventing the rain water or car wash water from entering the engine compartment and damaging the engine or electrical devices For Evo owners, do you have to be very careful when washing your car?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

slats, they channel the water so that while driving at least it is flowing with the air up and over the hood. Also, water in the engine bay isn't bad. Water in the engine is. Your 3000Gt gets water in the bay, every car gets water in the bay. You go to the car wash and some of them even have special engine bay settings for cleaning out to show quality. It's not a bad thing.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Not a stupid question. Fact is water will get in there. Not that much and there is not anything exposed that will really be damaged.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Don't the vents have mesh on the outer most part of the hood, then mounted underneath there is a plate with slats that keep the engine cool through that whole negative pressure deal (air goes in through bumper, into the bay, then out through the top)?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 05:35 AM

Isn't getting the engine block/cylinder head wet bad when it's hot? Won't it crack?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lap561
Isn't getting the engine block/cylinder head wet bad when it's hot? Won't it crack?
Don't wash your car with a hot engine then.

erik
Old Oct 30, 2002, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

when im scared about changing something....i never change it......i dont buy something that i have to second guess.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by erikgj

Don't wash your car with a hot engine then.

erik
I don't wash my car with hot engine. However, some people who go to car wash places would have issues if what you guys say about the evo hood is correct. Cause by the time they get to car wash, engine is all warmed up.

What if you're on a long drive and all of a sudden it rains? I just know that when something is at extreme temperature and you introduce water to it, there's a possibility that it'll crack.

I could be 99% wrong. I doze off in some of my science classes back in high school.

Last edited by lap561; Oct 30, 2002 at 06:57 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by lap561
if its just like a few drops its nothing. but if you drop gallons and gallons of cold water on a hot engine then you are asking for trouble. meaning if its gradual then you're str8. like rain probably no problem. but if you drive your car into the ocean, well you got problems...

also its ok to wash your motor when its slightly warm. meaning its kool to take a 5 min drive to the car wash. wait in line and then wash ur bay. driving all day and then cruising str8 thru the car wash could cause you problems...
Old Oct 30, 2002, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thermal stress results from large changes in temperature. A submersion in water could cool off engine components so quickly that they would fracture, but if your engine is submerged, I think you have other issues to address.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
While you are driving, I don't think that any water can get in due to the air flow that comes out of the engine. While in the car wash, I am not sure about it. But, those openings/opening have a mash in there an that will slow down entering of the water. Also, underneath those there is a turbo charger which has a shield over it. Either way, as long as you don't damp buckets of water to it, you will be fine!

And, this is an obvious problem with the hood openings, so I do believe that spend some time and made sure that this is not going to be a problem for 12 years now!

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 30, 2002, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Iron lower block...it would have to be extreme sudden temp. changes for the block crack...I don't think rain, car wash or even running through puddles can create enough of a temp change that quickly. Washing engine compartment with large amounts of water is not very smart anyways...(steam or mist is better)You'll ruin electrical systems before you ever get chance to crack your block. On side note the reverse is also true:LARGE amounts of water suddenly splashed on a cold engine during sub-zero temps can have the same drastic results.... remember the temp change has to be drastic and sudden....
Old Oct 30, 2002, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ishi
Iron lower block...it would have to be extreme sudden temp. changes for the block crack...I don't think rain, car wash or even running through puddles can create enough of a temp change that quickly. Washing engine compartment with large amounts of water is not very smart anyways...(steam or mist is better)You'll ruin electrical systems before you ever get chance to crack your block. On side note the reverse is also true:LARGE amounts of water suddenly splashed on a cold engine during sub-zero temps can have the same drastic results.... remember the temp change has to be drastic and sudden....
I'm pretty sure it's aluminum block and heads.

erik
Old Oct 30, 2002, 08:46 PM

The block is iron

Quick Reply: Question about Evo hood vent