Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

11psi... WTF??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11psi... WTF??

I just installed my boost gauge, double checking all connections and using teflon tape on fittings. I tapped in right above the FPR on the passenger side. Took the car for a spin down the road and it will not develope boost past 11-12psi. NOW I know why my car feels so slow.

Tomorrow morning, Im going to re-install my lower IC tubing to make sure it's not leaking. (that was the last thing I modified) and also recheck the upper intercooler piping (recently took off Injen intake and replaced w/stock)

Other than that...what could be the culprit? I dont really have the ability to check the factory BOV like in the other thread on here.

My car really hasnt felt fast like everyone has been telling me it supposed to be. I wonder if this 11psi thing was like this when I got it? (got it used @ carmax)

oh well, Ill shut up and let you guys comment.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

you got a leak off the compressor or wastegate. make sure the lines are secure. i didnt clamp mine down ( i was running right from compressor to wastegate) and ran exactly 11psi
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, If it was like that when you got it and have only been feeling 11psi the whole time. You're in for a treat when you get it fixed.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

just be careful after you feel youve fixed the leak.
if the previous owner had a bc or had done anything to lines they may be missing the boost restrictor pills (there should be two in the line. one from the compressor to the T and the other from the T to the emission control)
this will cause boost spiking over 22psi

i had the same problem cause the previous owner had a electric boost controller in the car and i didnt want to buy it off him so i took it out and gave it back. thats why i had a simple line from the compressor to the wastegate.

just got my mbc in today and i can finally feel WOT without fear of blowing my engine.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:52 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Call me. Bring your car over to my house and we can diagnose it in my garage. If you don't have my number from Tennesspeed, let me know and I'll PM it to you. I have to go to Dyno4mance this weekend, but we can get your car sorted out before then.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Running that kind of pressure means you are running at wastegate spring pressure. There is no boost control working to hold it shut.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Ill check it out and post the results.

Noize: I have to do some work on the car anyway tomorrow. If I can't fix it, Ill call you.

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2004, 05:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
My guess is the previous owner pulled the pill on the compressor side as well. No wonder you haven't been too impressed with the car! At 11psi, you're like 50 horsepower down!!!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Ill check it out and post the results.

Noize: I have to do some work on the car anyway tomorrow. If I can't fix it, Ill call you.

Thanks
After you fix the problem, put your Injen back on and you should feel a difference from your stock setup. I had seen a previous post of you stating that the Injen made your car slower. This is probably the reason.

Last edited by VTECH8TR; Sep 16, 2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I think that restrictor is gone if he took his boost control and replaced the line with a simple hose.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had the same problem for awhile, end up having the tiniest of holes in the hose coming from the waste gate to my MBC... replaced it back up to 20psi now = STI nightmare
Old Sep 16, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Either you are missing the restrictor pills or you are not actuating the factory boost control solenoid. 11 PSI is right about what the factory wastegate is spring to.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Where are these "restrictor pills" supposed to be? I know the line from the compressor to the "T" is just a regular hose. The line from the "T" to the wastegate is factory I think...has a pink band(paint) on one end. The line from the boostcontrol solenoid to the "T" looks like a regular line but Im not sure.

I am getting my MBC tomorrow, but I dont want to install it unless i know something isnt wrong. If I set the MBC to 19psi then whatever is "broken" is suddenly "fixed" it might boost WAY too high. (if that makes any sense)

I re-installed the Greddy lower IC tube and the nipple/bung for the vac line was loose (it threads in) so I fixed that, I also resealed the tube-to-turbo-outlet with some hightemp gasket goop. Checked all the flex fittings and all the hoseclamps..nothing loose...but it still only hits 11-13psi.

Since my car is stock, I could let Mitsubishi figure it out, but I dont know if the previous owner messed up something that will void the warranty. I do know that there was a vac line ran from the FPR to the driver side floorboard and just left hanging when I bought it...I assumed this was for a boost gauge or something.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Where are these "restrictor pills" supposed to be?

The line from the boostcontrol solenoid to the "T" looks like a regular line but Im not sure.
If I remember correctly, that is the one that is supposed to have the pills in it. Crush-feel it all the way from one end to the other. You'll feel them if they are there.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

this is why i hate buying used cars...especially used "tuner" cars

Quick Reply: 11psi... WTF??