Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe bolt torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe bolt torque specs?

I've searched and searched and could not come up with the factory torque specs on the two downpipe bolts that connect the downpipe to the 02 housing.

Thanks all!

-Sean
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I hand torque them all the time on my buschur downpipe..
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the service manual Spec sheet. Let me know if you have problems downloading it. Remember the stock pipe has springs so it won't come loose and for impact so use thead lock on the bolts and seel it up on the rim as well.

Evo Manual Exhaust Spec Sheet

Hope it helps ya

Last edited by GTVEVO; Sep 15, 2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Here is the service manual Spec sheet. Let me know if you have problems downloading it. Remember the stock pipe has springs so it won't come loose and for impact so use thead lock on the bolts and seel it up on the rim as well.

Evo Manual Exhaust Spec Sheet

Hope it helps ya
Is there a thread lock available for high temperature applications? Usually threadlock compounds such as Locktite red are basically plastic and are "deactivated" using heat.

Also, if anyone is using an aftermarket downpipe with a gasketless or donutless flat DP flange, you've got to be careful not to over torque the two bolts. Using the factory O2 housing it's possible to overtorque the two bolts which will bend the ears of the flange and cause it to warp and leak. It's easy to do if you're attempting to tighten the bolts to take care of a leak at that joint. Tightening will work up until the point where you ned the flange, after that a leak will just get worse the tighter your bolts get. BTDT...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Is there a thread lock available for high temperature applications? Usually threadlock compounds such as Locktite red are basically plastic and are "deactivated" using heat.
Yes they do make high temp thread lock. I believe it is a blue color I picked some up from a local parts dealer when I did my exhaust sometime ago then I used it again on my cam gear bolts when I installed my cams. It specifically says for high heat applications, people have used high heat silicone on the threads as well and it works just fine also. This I would trust on exhaust componets only.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry eveyone if you are having trouble getting the files, yahoo briefcase seems to change their links or somthing crazy but I have listed instructions on how to get the files.

Go to link http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/gtvanhorn

Look in the Public Documents folder and you should see the document named EVOTorqueSpecsExhaust.mdi this file is supported by windows so you should be fine to open it.

You will see a few other documents in there as well so feel free if you want them.

Sorry about the trouble.