Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dual Fuel Pump System!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Fuel Pump System!!!!

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a dual in-tank fuel pump system for the evo??? Turbotrix has it in their car but its custom made and they are not mass producing it. AMS said they'll probably release it in 2-3 weeks.

Ben
Old Sep 17, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

You can make it yourself quite easy. If you look at some of the supra faqs they put together a dual walboro system that is pretty basic. Why not go with one large external pump?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

your best (& cheapest) bet would be is to go with a bosch 044 fuel pump. it'll handle 600 WHP. also the walbro 342 will work too (stock fuel pump for dodge viper). i would look at bigger injectors after that. maybe 800-860cc
Old Sep 17, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
your best (& cheapest) bet would be is to go with a bosch 044 fuel pump. it'll handle 600 WHP. also the walbro 342 will work too (stock fuel pump for dodge viper). i would look at bigger injectors after that. maybe 800-860cc
Will the bosch or the walbro 342 fit in the stock fuel pump cradle or does it need to be modified?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:44 PM

One system I suggest is to install a 255lph pump intank then install another in-line pump immediately after the fuel filter in the engine bay and connect the second pump to the injector. It is also important that you install a fuel regulator.

I have experienced two detonations in the past which proved to be costly, all because of leaning out at hight boost. My solution was to change the fuel filter to a pro race type (aeromotive) and plug in another fuel pump after the filter. That solved my detonation problem and car run on 24psi boost easily.

I also discovered that the stock fuel filter on mitsubishi EVOs impedes the flow of fuel causing detonations to countless of EVO owners. You have to throw it away.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by willie torres
One system I suggest is to install a 255lph pump intank then install another in-line pump immediately after the fuel filter in the engine bay and connect the second pump to the injector. It is also important that you install a fuel regulator.

I have experienced two detonations in the past which proved to be costly, all because of leaning out at hight boost. My solution was to change the fuel filter to a pro race type (aeromotive) and plug in another fuel pump after the filter. That solved my detonation problem and car run on 24psi boost easily.

I also discovered that the stock fuel filter on mitsubishi EVOs impedes the flow of fuel causing detonations to countless of EVO owners. You have to throw it away.
On the US spec EVO VIII there isn't a fuel filter in line before the fuel rail, it is part of the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank.

My plans are to eventually have a "dual fuel" setup using the walbro 255 in the stock tank, and add a 5 gal fuel cell in the trunk with an in line high capacity pump for race gas. Then use the valving setup from a twin tank gasoline burning pickup truck to switch between the two tanks/pumps.

Keith
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
My plans are to eventually have a "dual fuel" setup using the walbro 255 in the stock tank, and add a 5 gal fuel cell in the trunk with an in line high capacity pump for race gas. Then use the valving setup from a twin tank gasoline burning pickup truck to switch between the two tanks/pumps.
Yeah, after seeing Tommy's (FerraroKid) setup with a BMW (if I recall correctly) fuel cell in the spare wheel well, I thought that's what I want to do exept keep the stock tank for regular pump gas...have a switch to the spare "tank" (fuel cell) where I can keep race gas (and on long trips overcome our tiny gas tanks for highway travel). The downside is that the sanctioning bodies of many street race competitions don't allow any fuel cells. So you're out of entering any of those if you've got one. Bummer. So I'm mulling over ways to have an easily removable fuel cell where the lines could be plugged and all. Be looking forward to people working out the kinks of this system. Guess that'll likely be me in a couple of months. We'll have to talk a lot and share ideas and findings Fourdoor.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've heard pple running over 450whp with just a walbro pump. What voltage are they using? My fuel pressure seems to drop when boost goes above 24psi.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willie torres

I used the filter that came with the Walbro pump. Is is restrictive as well?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
I used the filter that came with the Walbro pump. Is is restrictive as well?

That is the fuel sock, not a fuel filter neither the stock one or the replacement is restrictive.

Keith
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=40260
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

That looks almost like the surge tanks system I saw posted before.... is that what it is or is it an actuall seperate fuel system for a fuel cell?

Thanks,

Keith
Old Sep 18, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
Yeah, after seeing Tommy's (FerraroKid) setup with a BMW (if I recall correctly) fuel cell in the spare wheel well, I thought that's what I want to do exept keep the stock tank for regular pump gas...have a switch to the spare "tank" (fuel cell) where I can keep race gas (and on long trips overcome our tiny gas tanks for highway travel). The downside is that the sanctioning bodies of many street race competitions don't allow any fuel cells. So you're out of entering any of those if you've got one. Bummer. So I'm mulling over ways to have an easily removable fuel cell where the lines could be plugged and all. Be looking forward to people working out the kinks of this system. Guess that'll likely be me in a couple of months. We'll have to talk a lot and share ideas and findings Fourdoor.
Make the fuel cell look like a sub box and nobody will know the difference

I would enjoy sharing ideas and experances as we move alonge in these projects

Keith
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:59 PM

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on custom fuel lines, fuel tank, pumps, etc and are just looking for a high-horsepower pump solution, call Buschur racing. They just developed a drop in-pump solution for 500+ WHP Evo's.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metaphysical
If you don't want to spend a lot of money on custom fuel lines, fuel tank, pumps, etc and are just looking for a high-horsepower pump solution, call Buschur racing. They just developed a drop in-pump solution for 500+ WHP Evo's.
Do you have any more details on this setup? Im looking for somthing to support 700+HP.

Thanx
Chris

Quick Reply: Dual Fuel Pump System!!!!