Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lancer Shop Shifter Kit Report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Lancer Shop Shifter Kit Report

I woke up this morning and decided to install my Lancer Shop shifter kit. If you want the quick verdict: It ROCKS.

Instead of the vague, loose feeling of the factory shifter, the LS kit makes the shifter mechanism feel like a heavy rifle bolt with tight tolerances. It now feels convincingly like a rod shifter. Once you feel it, you will be absolutely impressed. The shift throw is somewhat shorter, and the shifter knob will sit a bit shorter as well. If you have the stock shifter and check out a car with this shifter, you will be headed online to order one.

I bought the Lancer Shop kit because it is priced considerably less than the B&M kit, and aside from consisting of the shifter and solid shift mount bushings, it also contains 2 additional solid shift rod bushings that you install in the engine bay. If you are concerned that you'll get less with the lower price of this kit, no worries there. Everything fits and installation is relatively easy so long as you exercise PATIENCE.

Installation of the shifter rod bushings in the engine bay requires removal of the battery and battery box, but it's an easy job. When you finish that, you'll carefully remove your console to expose your factory shift mechanism. Don't worry about messing anything up because it's a simple mechanism. Basically, you will swap the LS shifter rod in place of the factory rod. You will need a ratchet, short extension, 10mm and 12mm sockets, 10mm wrench, needle nose pliers, flat and phillips screwdriver, and an 8mm hex wrench. There weren't much in the way of instructions for the shifter install, but you can figure it out if you are NOT in a rush and work carefully. Plan on spending a couple of hours, and please don't drop small parts or forget how washers and such are pieced together. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Just for kicks, I also opted for Mitsu's cool brushed aluminum shift knob. Here's a pic of the result...
Attached Thumbnails Lancer Shop Shifter Kit Report-imgp0902.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that the shift knob that came with it? i really like that..i was thinking about getting the kit for xmas or selling my bov and then using money to get it..
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

No, the shift knob is an item that can be obtained through a mitsubishi dealer. I don't know the part number, but you can find it conveniently online here:
http://www.mitsubishiparts.com/defau...acturers_id=18
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

i just installed the same kit a couple of days ago.....i love it. before i instailled the kit i had problems going from 1st to 2nd above 5000rpms but now no problems........i think it is the best mod for $119..........if you drive an evo 8 get this and your transmission will love you forever......the only other thing i want to do is replace my trany fluid with some redline for syncromesh
Old Sep 18, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note: to put the underhood bushings in, you don't have to remove the battery. remove the strut bar instead. then you'll have plenty room
Old Sep 18, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Ted B,
Thanks for the info. I'm sold. Have fun with your car
Old Sep 18, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking about doing the LS short shifter mod next. Now this write up helped speed up the process.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

i got my LS shifter with bushings and i LOVE it. Its really a great buy and the shifting takes a bit more energy but is much shorter. The shifts are also very smooth. I love it.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I installed this same kit along with an exedy twin disc, shortened slave cylinder actuator rod and stainless steel clutch line. What a difference. No more missing 2nd gear and no more grinding shifts.
The short shifter alone,along with bushings is a drastic difference itself. Buy far one of the best mods I ve done, not to mention the great price.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

got mine installed 2 months ago, make shifting so much more fun. a must get for any evo members.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

every evo should have one .........bump
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

getting mine today! Where is UPS???? SO just remove the strut bar huh Blue Evil? I will try that , thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2004, 08:07 AM

Ordered mine 3 days ago, should be here soon, hoping to install it this weekend. I can't wait to try it out since so many people have positive things to say about it.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

You won't be disappointed. It is a must have. Be sure to get a decent shifter knob to go along with that.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

i like mine alot, except the two underhood bushings were a pain in the *** to get in. I also topped the tranny off with bg synchroshiftII. Shifts like butter.

Quick Reply: Lancer Shop Shifter Kit Report