Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

engine code problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004 | 09:45 AM

engine code problem

car is running like pooo engine code p0134 bank 1 sensor 1 no activity??

is this front o2 sensor??

also getting p0171 bank 1 system too lean

thanks for the help

Last edited by EVOnoir; Sep 21, 2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2004 | 11:53 AM

why n o answers? i have a serious problem here. the car runs like ****! and the afr is all over the map. when i give some boost the afr stays at idle afr ratios. any ideas. someone answer.
Old Sep 20, 2004 | 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Do you have an aftermarket air filter on there? I was getting that error periodically when I added my new MAF pipe (and a few other things, but it was specifically the MAF pipe)

Are you getting any other codes in addition to that? How are you measuring your AFR's that your detecting it not changing? Can't answer anything until we know more about your configuration and how your measuring AFR's
Old Sep 20, 2004 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Yes more info would help. What are your mods?

Are you running cams ?
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nad1370
^^^ Yes more info would help. What are your mods?

Are you running cams ?
i measure with a wideband lm1. yes i have cams. and a have a buchure intake. i have a bunch of other mods but none of them should interfere. my car ran fine for months and then i take it to atlanta and it does this on the way back. im changing my front 02 sensor today because the po134 code says its "inactive" could the front o2 give me this much problems? it idleas really bad and like i said the afr is messed up. i tried putting my emanage back to 0, but it still does the same... even with 780's. before this came up i tuned it to a fine 11.0.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 06:42 AM

also, what is the po171 (system too lean)? this came up i assume to be from the bad o2? i waS never running above 11.2 afr before this.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same 2 codes, o171 and 0134. I too suspect is the front o2 sensor or the MAF sensor, I never mess with the front o2 so I don't know how it went bad with only 5000miles on my car though... Let us know if it fixed the code by swaping the front o2.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Do you run leaded race gas in your cars ever? So many tanks of leaded gas will cause the O2 sensors to crap out after a while. If the front O2 sensor is bad the car WILL run/idle like crap becasue the ECU has nothing to base its adjustments on.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kevo
I have the same 2 codes, o171 and 0134. I too suspect is the front o2 sensor or the MAF sensor, I never mess with the front o2 so I don't know how it went bad with only 5000miles on my car though... Let us know if it fixed the code by swaping the front o2.
it wasnt the o2. i found some solutions online that said those codes are caused by either injectors or ignition coils. i just got 780's and they have about 1000 miles on them, so maybe i got a bogus set? also, i did leave my ignition on for about 10 minutes at a gas station around the time it all started... so maybe i f'ed up a coil because i have emanage? but that doesnt make much sence because this ordeal has caused my car to run lean. so it leads me to believe its fuel related, or i just got bad injectors... what are characteristics of bad injectors? how do i check the ohm on them? i think im ganna put the stockers back in and see what happens.

malibu jack: how would i know if my maf is messed up? everything ive read about the po134 and po171 codes are it has to do with ignition or injector citcuits. more info about my car is that i did hear a rather loud noise coming from the injectors yesterday, and they sounded like they were "clicking" irraticly for a part that has to be in time. thanks for the help with this, i will keep posted, and all other help is wanted,
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I doubted is the injectors since I'm running on stock injectors, And I know someone with the 0171 with a stock car. Even I have these 2 codes (0171,0134), my car idle the same and run the same. Seems like there aren't any effects in performance. But I would still want to figure out what's causing it. Btw, I never run leaded gas in my car.

Evonoir, so you put a new front o2 sensor in and still get the code?
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 12:06 PM

I doubted is the injectors since I'm running on stock injectors, And I know someone with the 0171 with a stock car. Even I have these 2 codes (0171,0134), my car idle the same and run the same. Seems like there aren't any effects in performance. But I would still want to figure out what's causing it. Btw, I never run leaded gas in my car.

Evonoir, so you put a new front o2 sensor in and still get the code?
yes, but these codes can be very widespread with the problems actually associated with it. my car drives like **** right now, and it barely idles. i think its injectors because they were clicking too loud and runs too lean no matter what boost or air flow setting it has. leaded gas will kill the o2, but the o2 seems not to be my problem.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh... PO171 lean code.

What it is is its showing a big diff. on long and short term fuel trim. One should be off-setting the other lso their total value is close to 0.

Ex: short---3.2 %
........long--... -3.0%

If you have cams, meaning a lot of overlap at idle. The MAF is reading a lot of air coming in ( lean ) or the O2 see's more air comong out ,so it tries to richen up the mixture. This will lengthen the long term fuel since the short term is already on the positive side.

This will trip the code because both fuel trims are not equal to 0. Either a 171 lean code or a 172 rich code. In this case with cams with a lot of overlap it will most of the time trip this code.

So it's not always the O2 sensors fault its just trying to adjust( at its limit ) what it see's coming of the exhaust
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Ahhh... PO171 lean code.

What it is is its showing a big diff. on long and short term fuel trim. One should be off-setting the other lso their total value is close to 0.

Ex: short---3.2 %
........long--... -3.0%

If you have cams, meaning a lot of overlap at idle. The MAF is reading a lot of air coming in ( lean ) or the O2 see's more air comong out ,so it tries to richen up the mixture. This will lengthen the long term fuel since the short term is already on the positive side.

This will trip the code because both fuel trims are not equal to 0. Either a 171 lean code or a 172 rich code. In this case with cams with a lot of overlap it will most of the time trip this code.

So it's not always the O2 sensors fault its just trying to adjust( at its limit ) what it see's coming of the exhaust
so what actually caused the code to trip? im confused. what do i do to fix this problem. i have been running 11.0 afr(wideband) before this, now it will not go lower than 14.5 afr when boosting above 0 psi. its been wanting to idle at 17.5 afr+. why is it doing this?
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a booklet before which tell you what the codes mean and whats causing it. For 0171 there are a few possibilities

1) Vaccumn leaks
2) MAF sensor
3) O2 sensor

I might try to swap the MAF with my friend and see if it fix the problem.
Old Sep 21, 2004 | 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a booklet before which tell you what the codes mean and whats causing it. For 0171 there are a few possibilities

1) Vaccumn leaks
2) MAF sensor
3) O2 sensor

I might try to swap the MAF with my friend and see if it fix the problem.
This is true on an un-modded vehicle.

Throwing cams and bigger injectors, ect.. kinda throws those possibilities out the door.

Evonoir, did you check the freeze frame on that 171 code? Did this happen at idle? I wouldn't worry about lack of performance if it did.

I think the only fix is going stand alone so you can fine tune the rough edges in the air/fuel mix at every rpm.
But if anybody out there knows away around it please chime in.