Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High water/oil temps?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High water/oil temps?

After I took my car to get all oils/fluids/plugs changed and tune up, my oil/water temp is unusually high.
Before: both oil/water around 85celcius (mid 90's when ran hard)
After: Oil is 95 (115C when ran hard)/water is 93 (goes up to 105C)

My fuel pressure is ok, actually richer idle @ 3.2bar.

A theory on this is that the sensor on either/both crankshaft/timing has gone bad.

Anyone heard of this or had this problem personally? Thnks
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Check levels if you haven't already. The cooling system requires a certain mass to properly cool the engine. If you're low on coolant (which isn't out of the ordinary if you've just had it changed), you will see higher temps. At the thermostat, my car runs an honest 80C on the street and 90C on the road course. You might want to switch to a thicker oil, my car didn't like the Mobil1 factory fill and I now run 15-40 dino oil and temps on the street fluctuate between 40 and 60C and hit between 80 and 90C on the road course.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check electrical first. Voltage change?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Check levels if you haven't already. The cooling system requires a certain mass to properly cool the engine. If you're low on coolant (which isn't out of the ordinary if you've just had it changed), you will see higher temps. At the thermostat, my car runs an honest 80C on the street and 90C on the road course. You might want to switch to a thicker oil, my car didn't like the Mobil1 factory fill and I now run 15-40 dino oil and temps on the street fluctuate between 40 and 60C and hit between 80 and 90C on the road course.
I checked the levels, they were low so topped them off but made no difference.

Not sure on oils but will check. I'm pretty certain Im on factory recommended viscocity. I've heard that it's not necessarily good to change to thicker oils unless you are changing internals because thicker oils may not be able to travel through the passages designed for a lower viscosity.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
Check electrical first. Voltage change?
You know what... my voltage is REALLY low. Ever since I killed my batt running the stereo, I've noticed the V while running is in 11's then into 10's when the bass hits. I was going to remedy this sometime later but would deal with it immediately if that is the problem. Is there a correlation between voltage and temperatures or are you suggesting the car could have another problem triggering low V's AND high temps?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

having the car diagnosed for the crankshaft sensor and installing a tomei thermostat. will see if this makes a difference.

Appreciate the inputs. thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

sensors are ok. installed thermostat but temps still high.

HELP...
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Stumped ... anyone?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

well you mentioned your batteries are low. maybe your fan is not running as efficient as it should be? maybe your water pump isnt running at full? i dont know just get rid of this variable by getting your batteries recharged
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the car run off the altenator not the battery...
Old Oct 14, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

I changed my battery, it didn't make a difference. My guess is that it has to do with something the mechinic did since the car ran normal prior.

He changed all fluids, plugs, and timing.

Fluids are fine. triple checked coolant, changed oil again ... so it's down to plugs and timing. He's not a retard, so I think plugs are ok ... but

What specifically can cause high oil and water temps with respect to timing and/or plugs?

When car warms up, water temps shoot up to 90's, but when running they go to normal 80's while the oil steadily goes up and hovers around mid to high 90's. When driven semi-hard, oil hits 117 and water 106...
Old Dec 8, 2004, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Check your timing. It can make a car run hot if the timing is not correct.

Derek
Old Dec 8, 2004, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

May have some high resistence in the car somewhere drawing extra juice or your alternator has a bad voltage regulator. If you place a tester on the battery with car off you should have 12.5v and at positive side of the battery should be at 14.5v with the car running at 2000rpm with no electrical load on the engine. Then try it again checking the battery with the engine at 2000rpm with full electrical load that came with the car (aftermarket stereo off and stuff like that) and you shouldnt be no lower than 13.0 v at the max.
Also what type of thermostat did you use in the car? what was the rated tempurature as far as opening of the thermo goes ? Also what mods are you running and have you been losing anti-freeze. If you have a vacumm leak somewhere in the radiator system that can cause very wide variing tempuratures. Lower pressure lowers the boiling point of the antifreeze and all you get is gas to kool the engine which dosent work.
My car with its mods will rarely get above 95 degree's Celsius. And I am putting about 450-475 crank hp out of my engine while it is rated at 271hp. No matter how the timing goes either you detentonate or you dont, it shouldnt cause a rise in tempurature like that. The cooling system if there for only one purpose , to cool the engine. But you could have some on going issues with the fan relays aswell.