Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

30,000 miles still stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Now that people are approaching 50K on a stock clutch makes me wonder how people are blowing them out at 3K. I know someone who blew his in under 2K. It's all about driving style and abuse. There's nothing wrong with the stocker if you drive properly and it seem to handle extra power fine.
The majority of people I've driven with just have no idea on how to correctly use a clutch, they just weren't taught or had parents that slipped em too (or only auto drivers). A lot of people like to ride the clutch for some reason, or can't figure out how to modulate the throttle for take off. Same ones are usually not pushing the clutch in far enough (seat placement, big feet, wrong shoes, etc) which causes slow gear grinding and eventual failure. I'm at 29K miles stock clutch and spirited driving habits, no problems for me (and yep, I've boinked shifts, etc, just not that often).
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

It's really nice to see a thread like this. I'm sick of people blaming everyone but themselves for premature clutch failure. "I've had 15 standard vehicles and I've never had a clutch fail below 500,000 miles. Mitsubishi won't replace it under warranty so I'm going to sell my car and get a Honda." Give me a break.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

LoL

I guess we need those other peeps though, keeps the rest of us on a good reality check. Sometimes the squeeky wheels gets the grease, other times it gets the kick
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
32k on my stocker before it started to slip. That was with many launches and daily beatings. If you were to never launch the car and drove it properly without abuse, it would be easy to get over 100k on the stock clutch.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

Mine started to go with 33,000 miles, it wasn't even bad, just when I nailed all 350WHP, it would slip then grab. Driving normally it was fine, me thinks it was the Pressure plate just not being able to hold it. I looked at the Disk when I took it off, it wasn't even that bad, WORN, but not bad. So I JUST put in an ACT, OMG is it so much better, stock clutch is fine if you can drive it properly, I like to beat muh baby, so I have extra clutch.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has chattered since about 1,000 miles, but it still holds at 28K miles. Even after a few hard launches, track days, and auto-x. Mostly stock.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Im at 20k now...it slips if I get on it in 1st and 2nd...

Still need to get it up to Renner for some tranny work
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Mine has chattered since about 1,000 miles, but it still holds at 28K miles. Even after a few hard launches, track days, and auto-x. Mostly stock.
Good point about the chatter/shudder. I get a bit of shudder when the clutch material is cold in the morning. Especially when going into reverse and I have to feather the throttle a little. Annoying sometimes, but it goes away after 10 min of driving. AFAIK it's a small build up of material on the flywheel, in worst cases it's "bluing" (hotspots or how the dealer can nail you for clutch abuse) of the flywheel, I think the altered surface grabs differently. It'll happen right on que if you've burned your clutch a few too many times.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

I am at 17,000 and it feels like the day I bought it.... well over a year ago
Old Sep 24, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrMerl
Good point about the chatter/shudder. I get a bit of shudder when the clutch material is cold in the morning. Especially when going into reverse and I have to feather the throttle a little. Annoying sometimes, but it goes away after 10 min of driving. AFAIK it's a small build up of material on the flywheel, in worst cases it's "bluing" (hotspots or how the dealer can nail you for clutch abuse) of the flywheel, I think the altered surface grabs differently. It'll happen right on que if you've burned your clutch a few too many times.

Ive had the shudder for awhile now. One way to get it to a minimal or none, is to baby first gear or give it more than 1500 rpms of gas. My biggest problem with the shudder is, ill get so use to joy riding and spirited driving that when i take it out the next day. I forgot i have to baby it for awhile, before it will start to engage properly. I doubt myself and hesistate and every once and awhile ill get a thud thud thud, which really sucks and knicks your pride some.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

i heel toe alot, would that be part of the reason why i have 30,000 miles now and still the clutch is good as new?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

A clutch could potentially last forever if the car was only driven on the hwy, and the higher mileage cars were probably driven on the hwy more. Mileage is a bit subjective.

20,000 miles, 2/3 hwy, stock clutch
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly how many of you launch your car that has a oem clutch w/20k+ miles? When you replace the clutch I hope you just don't get a new clutch disk that would be pointless. The weakest link in oem set up is the pressure plate.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sr20det91
32k on my stocker before it started to slip. That was with many launches and daily beatings. If you were to never launch the car and drove it properly without abuse, it would be easy to get over 100k on the stock clutch.
Was your car stock as far as power goes?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:25 PM

i have 11k on my car...and my clutch is just about shot...but thats my own fault from doing numerous amount of launches....im big on goin from light to light with someone:-x....so no one to blame but myself on this one

Quick Reply: 30,000 miles still stock clutch