Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Replaced the stock stereo... front speakers sound horrible?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced the stock stereo... front speakers sound horrible?

Howdy,

I replaced the stock stereo with a Pioneer unit tonight, and noticed that the rear speakers are quite a bit louder than the fronts. It almsot sounds like I have the fronts out of phase or something, but I checked my wires and I'm ok.

There is very little bass response from the fronts. Is it that something else is messed up, or are the front speakers just that bad? It just seems abnormally off

(I just got my radio back from the repair shop just a few days ago. They replaced a part so it's *possible* that the radio could be messed, but those chances are prety slim. But that's why I'm asking anyway.)

Oh btw, it's a DEH-P9400MP, so it's not a cheapy unit either...
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I was also wondering how would the stock speakers sound with a different deck. *bump*
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I reversed the front right just for the fun of it. It's even worse. So it's gotta be the speakers.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:35 PM

its the speakers. the extra little power doesnt help either. also, the rear deck speaker should be a little more bass heavy anyways.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bolsen
Howdy,

I replaced the stock stereo with a Pioneer unit tonight, and noticed that the rear speakers are quite a bit louder than the fronts. It almsot sounds like I have the fronts out of phase or something, but I checked my wires and I'm ok.

There is very little bass response from the fronts. Is it that something else is messed up, or are the front speakers just that bad? It just seems abnormally off

(I just got my radio back from the repair shop just a few days ago. They replaced a part so it's *possible* that the radio could be messed, but those chances are prety slim. But that's why I'm asking anyway.)

Oh btw, it's a DEH-P9400MP, so it's not a cheapy unit either...
It could be the speakers, but in my case they worked pretty well for OEM stuff. I upgraded to an Alpine CD Hu (forget the model, but it plays MP3s too). Anyway, if your speakers are bad, you can do wonders with aftermarket stuff, however I'd make darned sure it's the speakers before you go changing them and have the same problem. Did they work OK with the stock HU?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yea it sounded fine stock.

Does anyone know the size of the front speakers, more specifically max depth?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

6 3/4" all around. I don't recall the depth. 2.25" surface mount or something like that. Check with Crutchfield.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

What volume are you playing at? does it do it when soft? remember you are pumping more watts through the wires....
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

the stock speakers are POS man i itnhk the rms is liek 8 watts or something... change them out.. mine sound awsome for 100 a set... alpine type S
Old Sep 27, 2004, 09:56 PM

You think those are bad? lol. You gotta hear the stock WRX speakers ewwww.

First thing I did was keep the 6 CD changer stock deck, replaced all 4 speakers with Eclipse speakers powered by a Eclipse amp and added a 10" Rockford Fosgate Sub and powered it with a 2 channel Alpine Amp.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah man, it's the stock speakers. I just replaced mine this weekend. They were cheap pieces of garbage, and I had the Infinity system upgrade.....I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was simply the added power going to those stock paper cones. I replaced mine with Focals, they sound awesome!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

My stockers sound ok with my Alpine HU. Bear in mind I have a sub filling bass, so I've got the bass on my other speakers dialed down. I think probably if they sounded ok to you with the stock HU, then there's a setting you're missing with the new one.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Yea it sounded fine stock.

Does anyone know the size of the front speakers, more specifically max depth?
If they sounded OK with the stock HU, there is a good chance that something else is wrong. I know some ppl say the stock speakers are garbage, but if they sound OK to you, they are OK..... You might have blown them with the extra power of the new HU, but just make sure before you spend the $$ on replacements. I have the Alpine CDA 9813 and the stock speakers are OK, not great but not horrible either. Also, I don't have a subwoofer or additional amp. The Alpine has a powerful built in amp and it works just fine.....
Old Oct 11, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

I just replaced my stock radio with my old Kenwood MP3 player and I think it sounds fine, but I guess I'm not really looking for super high-end quality sounds. Only thing I had problems with the swap is that 2 of the screws that held the bracket stripped because it was torqued a little too hard from the factory. But it's done so i'm happy.
One thing though, the headunit is sticking out more than the stock one, so it looks a bit weird. Does anyone know where I can buy a cover that might surround the gap around the HU and the console area? Or does anyone have a link on where to buy that radio re-location kit?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

LOL I stripped one of those side screws too!!

Quick Reply: Replaced the stock stereo... front speakers sound horrible?