Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A Message to All EI Customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Tuxedo Cartman
Apparently at least one buyer already has their car from EI, so there is at least one legal one out there. Also, I agree that with the Evo VIII arriving soon, they should have no problems comparing the two of them.
There is no one that has their car from EI for street legal use. In fact if they have a car at all from them it would be illegal, until it has NHTSA paperwork.
I hope all goes well becuase I still would like a geniune JDM model from them myself.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Nov 11, 2002 at 02:24 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I put too many links in my posts to expect everyone to read all of them. One of the links, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../ELIG0206.html, contains this:
While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, an eligibility number based on a substantially similar U.S.- certified motor vehicle may not apply. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider them "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the certified left-hand drive vehicle in crash tests. If the vehicle is not substantially similar to one sold in the U.S., the RI would have to demonstrate that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, which could involve crash testing several vehicles.
If one scans further down, one finds exactly one RHD entry in the list of eligible cars, our friend the Nissan GTS, GTR (i.e. "Skyline"). Approval of the G&K petition for the LHD EVO VII will NOT have the effect of making it easier to import a JDM EVO. An attempt to import a JDM EVO would require a separate petition and crash testing, unless you could extract a letter from Mitsubishi stating that LHD and RHD EVOs perform the same in crash tests (fat chance of that happening).
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Theres a limited time in which a imported car can be considered legal?
How much will it cost for insurance on an imported car like the evo?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:14 PM
In Timeout

I realy feel that EI should be told of this information, and see how they react to it all. Afterall it really does explain why the first batch of cars is taking so long.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I realy feel that EI should be told of this information, and see how they react to it all. Afterall it really does explain why the first batch of cars is taking so long.
I'm sure EI knows about all of it. They probably just didn't relay it to their customers or potential customers.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I had actually spoken to J.K. in Baltimore about 2 years ago about importing EVO's. He was pretty honest and explained how they would need to crash at least one (this was before the USA Lancer), and have access to at least one more for a month or so to evaluate. At that point, you would need to have about $65k worth of cars available to let one get destroyed and the other potentially exported after they deny it (seeing how Mitsu didn't just bring in the car, you would assume it would somewhat fail the crash test without some kind of work).

I am glad I did not pay EI up front for anything. I am too poor to trust anyone with $30k.... except for that guy from Cape Town who emailed me about his Gold Mine finds. All I had to do was send him some "travel" money and I will be a millionaire.

Scot
Old Nov 11, 2002, 01:26 PM
In Timeout

From my conclusions, I feel that E.I. and G K didn't do their research. They felt that trying to go around the whole crash test data, they felt they could risk everything and just do it by making the Evolution 7 seem as if it were similar to the USDM Lancer. But they need to understand that there many differences such as rear stance and width. Also performance, and body material is significantly different, as stated in an earlier post. I feel that if E.I. sacrificed a little money, they could've gotten away w/ getting not just the Evo 7's but maybe all Evo's, they could've most certainly did what J.K. and Motorex did by saying..."the Nissans GTS and GT-R from 1990-1999, comply etc, etc...." I feel those crash tests, is the main determinant on how and when they Evo's are going to be made legal for importation. I'm having much concerns as too this, as I so bought an Evolution from E.I., and feel that this is going to just add way more time to when I'm getting my car. I honestly feel that, its really worth the wait, as it doesn’t bother me too much, but I really liked to know and exact time frame.
Also, I feel that, getting a letter from Mitsu., could be a possibility as if it would just make people want an
Evo if you think about it. IT would be a type of marketing.. "People see the nice Evo's from Japan and wonder when the U.S. getting one...." Does anyone know when the dockets are going to be published, and if so, is anyone going to be able to give their insights to all this, after all.... THERE ARE ALWAYS LOOPHOLES... and I feel that a lot of research and determinants can lead to how other people made their cars legal. Hopefully E.I. will give some insight to all this... or I'm going to give them a call and force them too.

Last edited by RedEvo6; Nov 11, 2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports

There is no one that has their car from EI for street legal use. In fact if they have a car at all from them it would be illegal, until it has NHTSA paperwork.
Like I said, if that car at SEMA is an EI car it would be illegal to have there without some sort of paperwork around it, and by the rules I dont see how it could have temp papers seeing as it is supposedly undergoing modifications for non-conforming vehicles.

Needless to say a lot of rules are being bent, and it will be interesting to see how it comes out. I hope all goes well becuase I still would like a geniune JDM model from them myself.
It wouldnt be illegal to have the car there, it just wouldnt be street legal. If he ripped the car down Las Vegas Blvd then yeah it could be impounded because it would be the same essentially as driving a touring car down the road, its not street approved.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

No matter what it has to have NHTSA paperwork, even if it is used just for show or racing purposes, though it is a moot point since that is not the purpose of this whole thread. If they were not street legal, they would have been delivered within 30 days off the boat.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Nov 11, 2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

No matter what it has to have NHTSA paperwork, even if it is used just for show or racing purposes, though it is a moot point since that is not the purpose of this whole thread. If they were not street legal, they would have been delivered within 30 days off the boat.
My fault man I didnt realize you were refering to a specific Evo7. Thought you were stating that it would be illegal to have it period. Apologies.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Even if you get it into the states (via private boat, helicopter, whatever), it is still illegal to have even it if is just parked in your garage (if i read everything correctly in a issue of Road and Track from about a year ago).

How do you get through customs? I think they are smarter than the old "I am not going to drive it on the road" ploy.

Somehow the Lotus Exige and Elises are allowed in the USA but not street legal. It makes sense that any car would be allowed but the rules don't let that happen.

Last edited by Scot; Nov 11, 2002 at 02:50 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Arent the Elise and Exige available here for racing only? I thought i saw on the Lotus USA webpage that you can buy them but only for racing. Also there is a company that sells street legal Elise with an ITR engine (for emissions purposes).
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:57 PM
In Timeout

That's interesting, because customs isn't really supposed to let any vehicle w/ a motor already in it to arrive into customs. It would have to be allowed and so on. So yea, maybe E.I. was allowed to ship it over and let it to be worked on for a reaosn that yes, it would be sold and made legal!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

The lotuses are brought in under the racing exclusion. Thats why most the ones you see have some type of roll cage in them and an electrical cut off switch. We have a 340R that was brought in like this. The street legal cars you are refering to are totally different. They are not brought in by lotus, but by Sun Imports(?) i believe it might have been? They most likely crash tested the chassis and then put in the ITR motor because its obd2 and can conform to all current emissions standards.

Last edited by GMat; Nov 11, 2002 at 03:01 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 02:59 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by RA29
Arent the Elise and Exige available here for racing only? I thought i saw on the Lotus USA webpage that you can buy them but only for racing. Also there is a company that sells street legal Elise with an ITR engine (for emissions purposes).
Yes it's a Company called "SUN" something, but those cars are only for Racign purposes only. Also there such situations that the only reason you can have a non US car, is that fi you only have it for a year or so, after that time frame, the car must be taken out of the US.

Quick Reply: A Message to All EI Customers