Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A Message to All EI Customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RedEvo6
Yes it's a Company called "SUN" something, but those cars are only for Racign purposes only. Also there such situations that the only reason you can have a non US car, is that fi you only have it for a year or so, after that time frame, the car must be taken out of the US.
No, the conversion is street legal.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...lotuselise.xml
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

The conversions are legal, because they use an engine and system that is legal, and are certified.
A real elise would be race only, and in a race only vehicle, there are modifications that have to be made so that the vehicle can not be inspected (maybe no lights or no airbags). That is their way of preventing someone from importing it under the race only exclusion and then trying to register it later. They also require you provide a license of the sanctioning body and a list of races you will attend, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

I am not sure that Sun International is even in business. I am not sure how legal it would be to have a lotus elise shipped here without an engine, slap in a Type R engine and call it a kit car.

that sounds cool on paper, but I am not sure the authorities see it that way.?

anyone know?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sun International is a well known company that has been around for a long time. Why would it not be legal? As long as the car passes DOT and EPA standards/regulations the government could care less what kind of motor the car has in it.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:58 PM
In Timeout

Evo 7 is not Evo 8

Originally posted by sblvro
since the evo 8 will be in the US in a few months, importing a LHD Evo VII/VIII from europe or ralliartUK will be possible? We are not comparing it to the USDM Lancer as being stated above but to the soon to come EVOVIII. I am sure MMSA is doing all this crash testing by now before the launch. So, EI is just jumping the gun and getting everybody to order the EVOVII which will not be sold here in the US since they will be much similar to the EVOVIII, plus you will have the benefits of having AYC/ACD which will not be in the USDM EVOVIII. That is okay, I believe and they will be successful in that. Of course they didn't crash-tested the EVO's, MMSA did!
Remember, Evo 7 is not Evo 8. Evo 8 is released, Evo 7 is a different model. Like trying to compare this year's apples with last year's oranges. Still need Evo 7 crash tests...
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by RedEvo6
Also there are such situations that the only reason you can have a non US car, is that if you only have it for a year or so, after that time frame, the car must be taken out of the US.
there are 13 million illegal aliens in this country right now. you think the government can find one car?
Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:06 AM
In Timeout

Re: Evo 7 is not Evo 8

Originally posted by BOOYAH1369

Remember, Evo 7 is not Evo 8. Evo 8 is released, Evo 7 is a different model. Like trying to compare this year's apples with last year's oranges. Still need Evo 7 crash tests...
But if you look at the dockets in the NhTSa watever.... you can see that MotoREx and J. K. stated that from 1990 to 1999 the Nissan GTS and GTR are the same as the US 240s and 300s. Those are completely different cars, adn completely differnt years?
Old Nov 12, 2002, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

On this page
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../ELIG0206.html

The skyline GTR/GTS are listed under the VCP column which indicates they met compliance without being based on any similar model. You can see how few vehicles are listed in this column which shows how hard it is to import non-conforming vehicles.

they would have to be in the VSP column to be listed as similar to a US model. They skyline and the 300zx have almost nothing in common.

To avoid a crash test, the EVO VII will have to be listed as similar to Lancer and placed in the VSP column, unless there is some other hokey pokey they can do.

If anyone wants lots of good reading, try starting at this site:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Where does it state in their website that the car is street legal?
I know C&D did say it was, but........... I did just email Sun but I think the last time i tried (about 5 months ago) it bounced back. There is no phone number or contact information on the website...so how do you actually talk to someone??

http://www.sunspeed.com/

This is right out of the FAQ section of the Sun website. That does not sound so street legal to me.?
How to import your own Lotus Elise? We have done considerable research on the technical and legal aspects of importing Elise vehicles. There are ways to accomplish it. However, it takes a sufficient budget and dedication of resources. Sorry, we don't have the time to explain to someone how they can import their own Lotus Elise and then having to explain why it's so difficult. There seem to be a lot of eager beavers out there wanting to do their own importation. Here are links to the EPA and DOT so that they can do their own research.

Originally posted by GMat
Sun International is a well known company that has been around for a long time. Why would it not be legal? As long as the car passes DOT and EPA standards/regulations the government could care less what kind of motor the car has in it.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:55 AM

Most likely they are waiting for the paper work for the EVO 8 In US then consider the EVO 7 to be a similar USD Model. Then there is no need to crash test it.

Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

That is not bad thinking! Sucks to be the guy who put the $ down for one 8 months ago and still have to wait another 2-3 months to get it, but..........

Originally posted by mo168
Most likely they are waiting for the paper work for the EVO 8 In US then consider the EVO 7 to be a similar USD Model. Then there is no need to crash test it.

Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt they are waiting on the evo8. They can try to prove similarity with the regular lancer right now, as people have done between the S4avant and the europe only rs4.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Tough case comparing to the USDM Lancer though. Completely different well...everything. Except for the majority of the interior and the chassis (give or take a ton of spot welds) they share nothing. Not engine, not drivetrain, not body panels...
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt mean that the cases were exactly similar, just that it could be done. I guess im just getting tired of people bashing EI when they are not there, not involved in the process of how they are trying to get the car legalized. People on here can hypothesize all they want about the outcome but the final decision lies with the government. I mean come on, yes they stand to make some money, but EI is doing me a favor in my eyes. Currently the Evo7 is UNAVAILABLE here in the states. If it werent for them I would probably have zero chance of ever owning one. People bash on them for taking so long, but its not like they can just tell the people they are working with to "Hurry your *** up". If people on here are such enthusiasts why do they have such a negative attitude towards this situation? I dont get it.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Believe me, I understand that and I can sympathize with both EI and the people waiting for their cars...I just think it's a stretch comparing to the US Lancer. I take it it's not possible to claim similarity to a couple cars. If they could say Mirage, 2g GSX and US Lancer they'd have a good case.

Quick Reply: A Message to All EI Customers