Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A Message to All EI Customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Message to All EI Customers

It appears that nobody here, including Evolution Imports, understands the federalization process very well. While the EPA side of the process is closed from public scrutiny, the NHTSA side is relatively open to public view.

If a car model has not previously been determined to be eligible for importation (see http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../ELIG0206.html for the current list), then the RI must submit a petition to NHTSA requesting a determination that the car model is eligible. There are two possible routes to eligiblity: the RI demonstrates that the model he wants to import is substantially similar to a USDM model and can be easily modified to conform to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) and Bumper standards, or the RI can demonstrate with (destructive) tests, that the car model can be modified to conformance. Obviously, the Lancer petition can be expected to invoke the "substantially similar" provision.

Here's an outline of the NHTSA process:
1) RI determines what must be changed on the imported car to achieve FMVSS and Bumper compliance. This ususally involves some disassembly and comparison with the USDM version. Access to manufacturer's parts catalogs for both versions are extremely helpful.
2) RI submits a petition to NHTSA documenting exactly what he'll change to achieve compliance.
3) NHTSA reviews petition for deficiencies and once they are all resolved, publishes a notice in the Federal Register soliciting comments on the petition. You can search the Federal Register for such notices at http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html. I typicaly use the phrase "Notice of Receipt of Petition for Decision That Nonconforming" (the quotation marks are important) and I tick the "Notices" box and, to speed things up since I search regularly, I indicate and "After" date.
4) Once the Notice is published, NHTSA sets up a "docket" (think file folder) for the petition in which (theoreticly) all documents related to the petition are placed. You can search for NHTSA dockets at http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchFormSimple.cfm.
5) Normally, the period in which NHTSA will accept comments is limited to 30 days. However, if comments ARE received, then the petitioner is given an opportunity to respond to those comments. And then those who contributed comments are invited to respond to the petitioner's response. And, finally, the petitioner is allowed a final response/rebuttal.
6) Finally, after a couple of months spent digesting the docket's information, the NHTSA announces a decision, again published in the Federal Register.

So, let's look at a few NHTSA dockets for insight into the process and its length.

First, to get it out of the way, is the Nissan Skyline GTR docket, http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...mberValue=5507. This docket is distinctive in many ways. First, note the word "Skyline" is never used. The petition originated from J.K. Motors in Baltimore, not Motorex (since then, Motorex has become an RI). Four cars were crashed as part of the testing, since there was no "substantially similar" USDM Nissan. Some of the interior cabin modifications necessary for compliance were withheld from the public docket as "proprietary" information (how does one comment on that?). In any event, there were no public comments, probably due to the fact that Nissan had no intention of ever importing Skylines to the US and, therefore, felt no need to "protect" its importer/dealer network. I have never noticed any other successful petition that required crash tests.
Nov 20, 1998 - Rear crash and gas tank rollover tests performed
Mar 24, 1999 - Petition submitted
Jan 19, 2000 - Petition approved

And here's a sad story, the petition for the 1999-2000 Porsche GT3.
http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...mberValue=7965
May 8, 2000 - Petition Submitted
Oct 6, 2000 - Notice Published
Aug 1, 2001 - Petition Denined
Notice that this took about 15 months, only to receive a denial.

As an aside: What happens when a petition is denied? NHTSA rules require that the imported vehicle(s) be either exported or "abandoned" to the U.S. government. Here's a notice that NHTSA sent to its RIs back in 1994 (see http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...s/mviinl05.htm):
Be aware of the risk involved if you proceed to modify a vehicle while its eligibility petition is under consideration. In the event your petition is denied, the vehicle will have to be exported or destroyed under Customs supervision regardless of how much time and effort you may have invested in it. The surety will also be notified of its potential liability under the bond.
Getting back to the dockets, here are a couple of petitions submitted by G&K, the folks doing the Lancer conversions.

1997-98 Ferrari 456 GT and GTA
http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...berValue=12140
Feb 14, 2002 - Petition Submitted
May 3, 2002 - Notice published
Jun 3, 2002 - Ferrari submits comments
Jul 1, 2002 - Ferrari responds to G&K's response to Ferrari's comments
Jul 25, 2002 - G&K Responds to Ferrari's latest response.
Today - Awaiting NHTSA decision

2002 Ferrari 360s Manufactured before September 1, 2002
http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...berValue=13219
May 28, 2002 - Petition submitted
Sep 10, 2002 - Notice published
Oct 17, 2002 - Ferrari submits comments
Today - Awaiting G&K's response to Ferrari's comments

And here's a really wild petition:
2001 Ferrari 360 cars
http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...mberValue=9628
As you can see, people crawled out the woodwork to respond to this petion. NHTSA, in its comments about approving the petition said:
the granting of the petition. One comment, from an individual identifying himself as ‘‘James A. Linder’’ and stating that he represented
the ‘‘Original Automobile Manufacturer’s Association’’ of Concord, New Hampshire, which the agency has learned is a fictitious entity, raised general objections concerning the registered importer program and its impact on fabricating manufacturers, but did not directly address the subject of the petition—whether non-U.S. certified 2001 Ferrari 360 passenger cars are eligible for importation. As a consequence, the agency is not responding to this comment in this notice.
Sadly, this comment has been excised from the docket. This is what happens whem somebody like me makes a post like this in some forum.

So, how long should all this take?

Back in 1996, NHTSA warned its RIs in a newsletter:
TIME TO MODIFY

Importation of a vehicle that is readily modifiable and substantially similar to U.S. model that is not already on the list of vehicles determined eligible for importation takes time to process and modify. DO NOT tell a prospective customer that they can have their vehicle in 6-8 weeks. A more realistic time frame is 3-5 months before they will have their vehicle to drive on the highway.
It now appears that the time to delivery has increased. The most recent NHTSA announcement of petition approvals, on Sep 10, 2002, shows that the most recent quickest time from petition announcement to petition approval is approximately 3 months (no comments received). This was recorded for the 1999-2002 Mercedes Benz S-Class petition (see docket http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...berValue=12316).

So, that brings us to the end of PART 1 (How Long It
Takes]. PART 2, the EI component, will follow shortly.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

So have you found the links from G&K concerning the Evolutions? I would like to see that info.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

So have you found the links from G&K concerning the Evolutions? I would like to see that info.
No, the Lancer petition has not yet even been published.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:33 PM

I thought it only take 2-3 weeks to legalize a evolution, at least that's what I have been told by EI
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:59 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Wow. That is some quality information. Thank you Senor Info (don't know how to type a frickin tilda ~ over the n ). I'm looking forward to Part 2.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 09:56 PM

this is good info...thanks Senor Info
Old Nov 10, 2002, 09:59 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the good news is if EI crash test all these evos and nhtsa approves, will it mean that personal orders of evo's direct from the ralliart manufacturer is okay now?
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't EI try to get around crash testing? I don't think they crash tested a single Evo..(although I could be wrong). So all these people have paid for cars that MAY be denied and have to be exported or destroyed? Pretty big risk to take. I'd like to hear what EI is going through and hear from them or a customer that knows what is going on.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:18 PM
In Timeout

DAMN

So what about after Mitsubishi launches the EVO 8? I wanna import my RHD Japanese US Evo killer, no problem right Senor? I mean, we will have a totally similar model, on the road, tried, tested and true, in the U S of A...no longer will any of us have to claim a mirage-type rocket for our NHTSA docket. Meanwhile, looks like anyone who owns a "street-legal" Evo in the US can be up for a rude awakening prior to this season's SuperBowl.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 10, 2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:03 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by sblvro
the good news is if EI crash test all these evos and nhtsa approves, will it mean that personal orders of evo's direct from the ralliart manufacturer is okay now?
Even with the car legalized you would still have to go through an RI and convert the car. Motorex do this for Skylines, but they charge something like $16,000 for conversion alone.

I don't think EI are planning to do conversions right now, but that may change in the future... who knows.

Mark
Old Nov 11, 2002, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Even with the car legalized you would still have to go through an RI and convert the car. Motorex do this for Skylines, but they charge something like $16,000 for conversion alone.
Not only this, but to be even imported easily they would have to be identical or similar enough to a legal model that they dont have to be re-certified. A Right hand drive car would be considered completly different, and have to be re-certified ($$$).

There is a lot of risk with what EI/G&K is doing and unfortunatly much of that risk is with the customers, because if things go sour, they are not likely to get their money back (without going to court). Luckily I think it will all work out and those cars will be certified.

Last night I searched the NHTSA site, and could not find any documents on the EVO, though I found a lot of petitions for non-conforming Harleys, and other motorcycles as well as the ones that were mentioned my Mr. Info above.
That means this process is even further behind than I thought.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Nov 11, 2002 at 02:25 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Part 2

So, what exactly is EI's role in this process? EI appears to be acting as a sales broker and it is questionable whether EI's contract with G&K is even legal, given this advice that the NHTSA has given to RIs in a newsletter
IMPORTING FOR RESALE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all the experience of those involved in the RI program, some confusion remains about this subject. The following information is repeated so there can be no doubt about the limits of your authority as an RI.
By way of background, you must understand that the original National Traffic & Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 which established this agency states in Section 108, subsection (a)(1)(A), that NO PERSON SHALL... IMPORT ANY MOTOR VEHICLE ... MANUFACTURED AFTER THE DATE ANY APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD TAKES EFFECT UNLESS IT IS IN CONFORMITY WITH SUCH STANDARD (and certified by its manufacturer), EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN THIS SECTION.

Amendments to the act contain the following provisions paraphrased:

SUBSECTION (a)(1)(A) SHALL NOT APPLY IF THE VEHICLE IS IMPORTED BY A REGISTERED IMPORTER, and

SUBSECTION (a)(1)(A) SHALL NOT APPLY TO A VEHICLE THAT IS IMPORTED FOR PERSONAL USE, AND NOT FOR RESALE, BY ANY INDIVIDUAL IF THAT INDIVIDUAL FURNISHES A COPY OF A CONTRACT WITH A REGISTERED IMPORTER FOR BRINGING SUCH VEHICLE INTO CONFORMITY

You can see that the terms "individual" and "not for resale" mean that you may NOT contract with any dealer, sales broker, agent or anyone else to import any amount of vehicles for purposes of resale. In this context the prohibition includes sale and lease. If a customer asks for your contract with the intention of importing vehicles for resale you should advise him to submit an application to become a RI just like you did.
What are the Lancer Evo petition's chances of success?

They basically hinge on convincing the NHTSA that the EVO is "substantially similar" to the USDM Lancer. For an excellent discussion of what "substantially similar" means to the NHTSA, I invite you to read the first few pages of this comment submitted in reaction to one of the G&K petitions mentioned above: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf81/175328_web.pdf.

Most people in this forum recognize that the similarity between the EVO and the USDM Lancer runs only as deep as the paint. Here are some examples of significant differences:
The EVO's hood and front fenders are made of aluminum, instead of the steel used in the USDM Lancer.
The EVO has an AWD transmission whereas the USDM Lancer is supplied only with FWD.
The EVO's engine bay is stuffed with far more equipment (such as turbocharger, front intercooler, front oil cooler, and associated piping) than the USDM Lancer.

Any one of the items mentioned above could be expected to change the car's center of gravity and inertia moments and crumple zone. And, if NHTSA were made aware of these differences, they likely would require that tests (the destructive kind) be performed. I doubt EI will have the stomach or pockets to crash test a few EVOs.

And what are the chances of the EVO petition drawing comments? I'd guess they are quite high. MMS would quickly and correctly conclude that every grey market EVO allowed into the country would represent one less USDM EVO VIII sale for the MMS dealership network. Although I guess one could hope that MMS would miss the Federal Register notice about the petition, I suspect that they'll get a "courtesy" fax about it from the NHTSA, just in case.

Besides the FMVSS and Bumper standards compliance, there is also the issue of compliance with the Theft Prevention standard. In the case of bringing a car into compliance with the FMVSS and Bumper standards, all conversion work must be performed in the US by an RI. None of the work can be done before the car is actually imported. In the case of the Theft Prevention standard the opposite is true for those cars subject to the standard - all required parts must be inscribed with the car's VIN BEFORE it's imported. Here are some links that further explain this topic:
The list of parts that must be inscribed with the car's VIN if the car model is subject to the Theft Prevention standard is found at: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ON=5&TYPE=TEXT
The list of 2002 car models subject to the Theft Prevention standard is found at: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...id=fr03au01-13 (yes, the 2002 USDM Lancer is considered by NHTSA to be a "high-theft" car model and is subject to the parts-marking requirement of the Theft Prevention standard).
And NHTSA's instructions to RIs on the issue of the Theft Prevention standard compliance may be found at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...s/mviinl06.htm
THEFT MARKING

Please review Part 541 - Theft Prevention Standard. We will reject all packages on passenger cars that require theft marking unless confirmation is received that the VIN has been inscribed on the required parts prior to importation. Please review the requirements of the standard. This will apply to MPV's and light trucks beginning with MY 1997.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Mitsubishi inscribed each EVO's VIN on the hood, front fenders, etc. when it manufactured the EVOs and I seriously doubt that Global Performance disassembled the EVOs it shipped to G&K and inscribed each EVO's VIN on the hood, front fenders, etc. before shipping them.

One other point, for you Canadians reading this. EI's website suggests that it may be possible for you to import a street-legal EVO through EI (see http://www.evolutionimports.net/faqs.html#faq3). The truth is that Canada does not allow importation of any car that wasn't originally manufactured to comply with Canadian safety standards. There is no provision in Canadian law that allows "federalization" after the car was manufactured. So, even though an EVO (or Skyline) might be modified to be street-legal in the US, it can't be permanently imported into Canada.

I wonder what contingency plans EI has in case the EVO petition is denied? Chapter 7 bankruptcy? I wonder whether EI's offer in thread A Message from EI to All Members still stands:
In regards to the one person who was not satisfied with the progress of his car (which is only delayed due to DOT and EPA paperwork like all of our first vehicles undergoing testing), we offered a full refund for the car as soon as we were informed of his feelings.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
since the evo 8 will be in the US in a few months, importing a LHD Evo VII/VIII from europe or ralliartUK will be possible? We are not comparing it to the USDM Lancer as being stated above but to the soon to come EVOVIII. I am sure MMSA is doing all this crash testing by now before the launch. So, EI is just jumping the gun and getting everybody to order the EVOVII which will not be sold here in the US since they will be much similar to the EVOVIII, plus you will have the benefits of having AYC/ACD which will not be in the USDM EVOVIII. That is okay, I believe and they will be successful in that. Of course they didn't crash-tested the EVO's, MMSA did!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently at least one buyer already has their car from EI, so there is at least one legal one out there. Also, I agree that with the Evo VIII arriving soon, they should have no problems comparing the two of them.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 08:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Tuxedo Cartman
Apparently at least one buyer already has their car from EI, so there is at least one legal one out there.
Who? There are a scattered handful (if that many) on the roads, but who knows HOW LONG they'll be street legal for (there are temporary exclusions if you read up a bit on importation) or how many rules were bent or broken to legalize them?

Quick Reply: A Message to All EI Customers