Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I got pulled over yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2004, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got pulled over yesterday....

but get a hold of this. The local cop pulled me over because I don't my silencer in my aftermarket exhaust. As soon as I stopped the car, this cop gets off his squad car, slowly approaches the car, and was looking at my exhaust right away before getting beside my right window. I thought his first words will be " You have a modified exhaust or your exhaust is too loud", something like that. Instead he told me "You need to put back your silencer". I was like,
Then he still asked for my driver's license, insurance, and registration. He does the usuall routine in his squad car, comes back, and told me to put back the silencer. He just gave me a warning and let me go. I want to ask him if it's too loud but I don't want him to look like an idiot. I just want to get out of it and make the conversation as simple as possible.

So this morning I put the silencer in. Wow, the car is so quiet. One thing I noticed was it has more torque at the bottom and but the spool starts like when it has the stock exhaust, around 3500 RPM. The top end power has a little less pull compared to without having a silencer but it's not that bad. But one thing strikes me is that the factory turbo gauge now reads almost 1.5 bar. With out the silencer, it always pegs to 1.4 bar. So WTF is going on? As far as the sound with WOT, it sounded like the wooooshing sound is at the back of the car.

Last edited by evo55; Oct 1, 2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

That's strange, because when I put the silencer in my car with my electronic boost controller, my boost drops from 19 psi to about 16 psi unless i re-adjust the boost controller.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Nice cop, and he seemed to be somewhat well informed on aftermarket stuff. If only most of them were like this, :sigh:, oh well, maybe one day
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
That's strange, because when I put the silencer in my car with my electronic boost controller, my boost drops from 19 psi to about 16 psi unless i re-adjust the boost controller.
I really don't know why it's doing it. May be the back pressure contributed to the pressure reading by the gauge.
It's doing it consistently everytime I floor it.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Guack007
Nice cop, and he seemed to be somewhat well informed on aftermarket stuff. If only most of them were like this, :sigh:, oh well, maybe one day
Yeah, I thought he was cool. The hole on the exhaust tip was the reason why he knows my Helix exhaust comes with a silencer.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I was messin with this kid last night about his EVO... He pulls into the local mall here and I stop him... I start on him about how his exhaust was illeagal (it was stock), and how his big wing was illeagal (stock c/f).. He's lookin at me and going, "But it's all stock sir! I swear!!" I started saying that the wing is an obstruction and that Mits didn't clear it with FDOT... I almost saw tears in his eyes.. SO then I go, "Dude, I'm only playin, I have an EVO too!!" HE was like, OOOHHHHHH.. Thought it was funny...

So if you're on this board, say hello!! Hahahahaha.. I was just messin...
Old Oct 1, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonasan50
I was messin with this kid last night about his EVO... He pulls into the local mall here and I stop him... I start on him about how his exhaust was illeagal (it was stock), and how his big wing was illeagal (stock c/f).. He's lookin at me and going, "But it's all stock sir! I swear!!" I started saying that the wing is an obstruction and that Mits didn't clear it with FDOT... I almost saw tears in his eyes.. SO then I go, "Dude, I'm only playin, I have an EVO too!!" HE was like, OOOHHHHHH.. Thought it was funny...

Are you a police officer?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

some cop know alot bout aftermarket nowaday. i was pull over for not having a silencer on also. you definitely need a silencer now if you have aftermarket exhaust.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by azyan
some cop know alot bout aftermarket nowaday. i was pull over for not having a silencer on also. you definitely need a silencer now if you have aftermarket exhaust.

The question is how to make that silencer sound good. It's sounds horrible.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonasan50

Last edited by burningmoney97; Oct 2, 2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would you take the silencer out? to make er more rice?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

He knows what a silencer is ? He must have owned an import before.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
why would you take the silencer out? to make er more rice?

The exhaust sounds nice without any silencer. I think any exhaust will sound nice without it.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by talalhz
He knows what a silencer is ? He must have owned an import before.

I'm surprised. He's probably in his late 30's.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Cops arent stupid. You should check out the latest "Import Tuner" mag. They have an article about the San diego PD and what they are doing to crack down on street racing. They probably know more about the cars than most of us would

Quick Reply: I got pulled over yesterday....