Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What do you prefer? LHD or RHD EVO?
LHD
69.57%
RHD
30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: LHD or RHD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:06 AM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO Global Domination: LHD or RHD?

If you had a choice, what would you prefer driving on the street? Left Hand Drive Evo or Right Hand Drive Evo. You know what I prefer. RHD rocks! Never driven one? You are missing out!!! If you have driven and/or owned/and may still own a RHD, let us know whether you'll settle for LHD. I wanna hear from our Lancer crew in the Armed Forces, Australians, Europeans and Asian crews, not just North American dogs.

FYI I still own a Ford Laser RHD, and it's in Nagano, Japan. It's my third RHD. I am aiming to buy my next RHD in the US. I am right-handed. Steering control off road and on drift tracks requires a great deal of power, not just technique. My right arm is my power arm. That's the bottom line for me. So, what about you? LHD or RHD Evo? Be honest and get to the point! Please explain why. BOOYAH

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 12, 2002 at 12:18 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:04 AM

Well since ive been driving LHD cars all my life, i would rather stick to that at the moment. IVe thought about it tho, but still not sure about the legal stuff on that.

Bt im a righty too, so i wonder if ill benifit from RHD like you. Was it a big adjustment your first time?

And shouldnt u be using both arms to steer while drifting or in a rally course?....not telling u how to drive( and more importantly, i havent ever been on the track or any kind of course), but it makes more sense in my head to use both arms rather than one arm when steering hard.

Last edited by El-Vegs; Nov 12, 2002 at 01:09 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I agree. Right hand driving seems more natural. Being right handed, you have a lot more fine control with your right hand, so steering is more precise. Shifting with the left hand is no big deal, and it seems to work better getting your left foot and left hand into syncronization, than your left foot / right hand.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm a righty and I steer far better with my left. It's my weaker arm I suppose. They're pretty much the same. Kinda silly though considering most people will not have driven RHD cars.

EDIT: Coordination isn't an issue in my eyes. It's as much a matter of practice as the rest of driving is I think.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Nov 12, 2002 at 02:10 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

im a left hander so lhd is best for me
Old Nov 12, 2002, 04:04 PM

I learned stick with LHD and I prefer driving with my left hand, even though I'm right handed. No real reason, just feels more comfortable for me. And since I drive an older car, and my clutch has been kinda grabby lately sometimes I need my right arm power for shifting.
Coordination, I agree with Hobie, just a matter of practicing, I think with enough practice either method could be equally effective.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Well, since I've learned with LHD, it'd probably be easier for me to do shift cause I'm right handed anyway. But I would like to own a RHD car someday. I keep tryin to picture myself drivin an R34 or somethin and pullin up to someone at a stoplight. I'd like to see the reaction of the driver in the other car.

It'd be different, and that's what I like.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

i learned LHD so i'd go for LHD
Old Nov 12, 2002, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

for me it would depend on what contry i would operate the vehicle. im just used to having the driver's side of the car (either left or right) closest to the center of the road,
Old Nov 12, 2002, 04:47 PM
In Timeout

I forgot about the road once, and drove my AE86 into the wrong side of an underpass. Cars were careening towards me, so I yanked up the hand-brake, spun the wheel, popped the brake release and gunned it. God. I was so lucky! The ghost of Steve McQueen must been with me that night. Gotta admit, even though it was accidental, what a wicked thrill! You had to see the expression on these Japanese driver's faces when they saw the white boy in the drift racer aiming straight for them!!! Bet I shortened a few lives that night...Point is, my right hand was totally connected to my bowels...if I had let go with one, I woulda let go with the other, too.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 06:55 PM

i've driven both rhd and lhd cars and they are both fun, probably stick to a lhd car though cause its more natural.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think I would be able to drive a RHD. Even after only driving for a couple of months, I feel like I would probably like LHD better (I am a right hander). I seem to steer better with my left hand btw.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Learned on LHD. I'll stick with LHD. BUT...I'm ambidextrous so I can't imagine having to big of a deal having to compensate.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

just give me my lhd thats the only way I'll drive
Old Nov 13, 2002, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have driven both LFD and RHD cars on both type of roads and the thing is that you should have what ever is the correct type of the car for the roads where you will use it. This is all from the street use point of view.

From the track use, I can't say much, but you should drive whatever is available to you and makes more sense. Right hand people should be better off with the RHD car due to the better steering feel. Then you loose some if you have to shift a lot, since your left hand is not that precise as the right one. From my perspective, I don't really care, but I would choose the LFD since that is what I was doing most of the time since I started driving a while back!

Mr. AWD