Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Speeding ticket -- should I try to fight it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anytime you feel that you have been sincerely wronged...fight back.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 08:23 AM
choad

Definetely fight it..

In cases where the officer pullls TWO car over, usually one of the two tickets will be drastically reduced becasue the situations, speeds, etc. will be different.

Sounds like the officer intended to pull you both over, you backed way down when you saw him which gave him the room he needed to get up and after the 3000GT....But you didn't think he would still come after you since you had "slowed" down..

I too, have a ticket pending and I can tell you what, it is my first in five years and that sucker is getting dismissed. I pay an atty. $150.00 plus the fine charge (if any) to get handled..

ALWAYS worth the money to me.

Old Oct 11, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by M3lachsilber
Definetely fight it..

I too, have a ticket pending and I can tell you what, it is my first in five years and that sucker is getting dismissed. I pay an atty. $150.00 plus the fine charge (if any) to get handled..

ALWAYS worth the money to me.

Hmm...but how much is your ticket? Mine is only $200, so to hire an attorney for $150 doesn't seem worth it...
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:29 AM

Rough Diagram

Ok guys, I sat down and did the math, and I think it is in my favor. I'll attach the diagram tonight, but here are my findings and assupmtions:

The end result I got was that the cop would have had to have had a 322 foot head start on me in order to catch up with enough time to pull in front of me. That is over a football field's length -- pretty damn far.

Now, I got this results by first assumming (as he claimed) that I was traveling 85mph at the time he clocked me. I then assumed that I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, and decellerated to 65mph. Based on the fact that the evo claims to be able to decellerate from 60-0 in 110feet, I calculated the average decellaration, which was about 35ft/s^2. So, using this, I determined that it would take me .81 sec to go from 85mph to 65mph (this done in about 112 ft). From this point on I assume that I travel at a constant speed fo 65mph.

My other set of assumptions deal with the cop car. Assuming he was at dead rest when he tagged me (after the 3000gt had already passed by him), he would have had to accellerate to 65 mph in order to cut in front of me. Assumming that the car he was in could go from 0-65mph in 6 seconds flat (I'm sure it would take longer than this, but I'm trying to be conservative) I found it would take him 284ft to reach this speed.

In that same six seconds, including decelleration, my car would have traveled 606ft. So, working backwards, assuming that he pulled in front of me at exactly the moment he was able to, he would have had to have a 322ft head start to reach 65mph in time to pull in front of me.

Now all I need is a lazy eye and a cigar, and I'd be Columbo!

But, seriously, I think this provides pretty good proof that there was no way I could have been going 85mph. I doubt the cop would have tagged me at over a football field's lenght away, given that he had been hiding at a bend in the freeway. I'm guessing he had only half of that distance before he saw me. And I was far enough away so that the treeline would have blocked me from his vision when he first caught sight of the 3000gt. Being that it was late at night, and hardly anyone on the road, why would he have waited around to tag another car that might or might not be there? I know for a fact that he was already pulling away when I first saw him, so I'm pretty sure he couldn't have gotten me on LIDAR.

Anyway, that's the story. Finally, I put my Physics minor to good use!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:45 PM
choad

Hmm...but how much is your ticket? Mine is only $200, so to hire an attorney for $150 doesn't seem worth it...
Use your physics major to calculate the increase in insurance, points on licnese, etc. Very rarley does it NOT pay to fight a ticket..even if it costs you to do so.

As far as the lengthy distance, speed, etc. formula above..

I think explaining all that to the judge will be tough and quite frankly, I don't think you will have the floor that long. Best bet is to either go yourself and hope for the best..
or hire a guy/gal that handles cases like this daily and knows what to ask/say..to beat the ticket FOR you..

Good luck!!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

LIDAR = Laser. PEople has fought laser more sucessfully than radar in general.

I don't think the Judge will be impressed by higher math. NEVER incriminate your speed. Than again, it might work. Nobody can defeat the laws of physics.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Well did the cop ask if you two were racing? By your story you weren't and you were just following a "race" car. I would fight it because of all those things he made you. That guy driving the gt is really stupid lol. I laughed a little when I read that part of your story. Also the radar gun situation would be a good arguement. Good luck man.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Evokid04
Well did the cop ask if you two were racing? By your story you weren't and you were just following a "race" car. I would fight it because of all those things he made you. That guy driving the gt is really stupid lol. I laughed a little when I read that part of your story. Also the radar gun situation would be a good arguement. Good luck man.
Nope, wasn't racing. The cop didn't accuse me of racing either. If he had, or if the Judge does, all I have to say is that if a 3000gt and an Evo were racing, they'd be going a hell of a lot faster than 85mph.

As for incriminating my speed, my calculations basically show that it was impossible that I was speeding. I guess that's what I'm trying to show. I can make a diagram which shows the points of it in plain English. If they doubt what Ih ave on there, I can always bust out the forumlas. But, as I've said before, I think I have many good points with which to work from. Now I just need to grab my sack and do it!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

even though he did'nt accuse u of racing.u still got a speeding ticket an half of the point goes on your record.if u try to fight it they probably drop a couple of points on your license and make u pay for the rest of the fine..or do community service..GL

Last edited by invazn; Oct 11, 2004 at 09:03 PM.