Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WRC changes- good and bad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRC changes- good and bad

well max moseley has done it again to the FIA. the WRC announced changes this week that will affect WRC drivers and cars as much as the changes he anounced for Formula 1 a few weeks ago.
GOOD- mitsu will run a factory team for a full schedule next year. After haggling about it and having limited success, they have decided to give it a go. i am super happy about this, best of luck finding serious drivers and serious co-drivers and producing a new team. Skoda- Vw is the parent company of this german manufacterer- will also run a full season after running limited this year. they already have a great driver but have been plagued all year by mechanical failure.

BAD- the bad news is this. every team will run a 2.0L motor, Normally Aspirated. i am not sure if i agree with this at all. since the raging days of rally cars have been driven by turbos. this is a huge change. also another big one, is that the motors have to be transversly mounted, and they are talking still about running a generic transmission, every team has one with the same manufacterer. the transverse motor thing puts subaru back to square 1, as it does with citroen as well. (it is the XSARA's last year) the changes basically are to save these teams involved money. the same in F-1 with a one engine a weekend rule, and now a one engine every 4 race (i think that is what they decided ?) policy. i just dont want to see the FIA turn this stuff into NASCAR, i lose sleep over it. i understand that the teams need to save money, but i am not sure if this is the best way. when it comes down to it MR FIA get the final say, Mosely has a great job, but this may be an abuse of power.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy ****oly. thank god i got the evo now. how the hell can a 2.0 produce enough torque to get through some of those tracks!?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

I dont like the idea for different engines and trannies either. I wonder how much power the NA engines will be allowed to put out....if its the same as the turbo engines this yr, wouldnt reliability suffer? What is this going to do for the road versions? I dont like the sound of this at all.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

this is a travesty
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Wow this is gonna really mess up the WRC. Subarus gonna have a hell of a time. Making a 2.0 L engine put out enough torque to continue the speed of this years WRC is going to difficult and risky. Hopefully they realize their mistake and put things back to normal after a year or so.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

Ha, that'll put a stop to Sohlberg in an instant. I think going n/a is frickin ridiculous. WRC is about turbo AWD 4 bangers. I saw that last night on Speed channel. It's a bunch of crap. I thought I heard something about FWD also, maybe I'm wrong. I guess Mitsu can't do any worse with the new rules. Since Makinnen left and the new car for '04 Mitsu barely has 17pts. Sure doesn't help sell cars when their dead last.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Complete bollocks.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honda will enter and own all.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

i wonder how fast the NA 2.0L has to rev to make same power turbos make. high revs might be fine on the track, but how long would it last on a rally course? Without turbos in the wrc, i fear the end in the 4g63 line as well as EJ2x line and replaced by High output NA motors......
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Boooo.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved04
well max moseley has done it again to the FIA. the WRC announced changes this week that will affect WRC drivers and cars as much as the changes he anounced for Formula 1 a few weeks ago.
GOOD- mitsu will run a factory team for a full schedule next year. After haggling about it and having limited success, they have decided to give it a go. i am super happy about this, best of luck finding serious drivers and serious co-drivers and producing a new team. Skoda- Vw is the parent company of this german manufacterer- will also run a full season after running limited this year. they already have a great driver but have been plagued all year by mechanical failure.

BAD- the bad news is this. every team will run a 2.0L motor, Normally Aspirated. i am not sure if i agree with this at all. since the raging days of rally cars have been driven by turbos. this is a huge change. also another big one, is that the motors have to be transversly mounted, and they are talking still about running a generic transmission, every team has one with the same manufacterer. the transverse motor thing puts subaru back to square 1, as it does with citroen as well. (it is the XSARA's last year) the changes basically are to save these teams involved money. the same in F-1 with a one engine a weekend rule, and now a one engine every 4 race (i think that is what they decided ?) policy. i just dont want to see the FIA turn this stuff into NASCAR, i lose sleep over it. i understand that the teams need to save money, but i am not sure if this is the best way. when it comes down to it MR FIA get the final say, Mosely has a great job, but this may be an abuse of power.
I smell BS
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

n/a blows... that means the next evos will fit that discription... (FyCK!)
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:01 PM

Has this been decided or is it a proposal? There are always changes proposed by the FIA for the WRC and F1, but that does not mean that all changes are implemented. The engine proposal for F1 is now a 2.5l V8 to replace the current 3l V10, however, I do not see that happening in the near future as the cost of changing would sky rocket in a currently cash strapped F1. At the same time I do not see Subaru supporting such a drastic engine change for them.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hueman
holy ****oly. thank god i got the evo now. how the hell can a 2.0 produce enough torque to get through some of those tracks!?
To true I dont see a 2.0 L with no turbo and limeted power to go on.The main thing for all this is for more cars to be able to race in the WRC.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't see anything on the FIA site or the normal WRC news sites. I hope it is BS.