Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

300whp Goal on DD dyno PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300whp Goal on DD dyno PLEASE HELP

A friend of mine dynoed 263whp/260 tq. on a DD dyno on stock boost. His power mods are: Borla Turboback, UTEC, HKS 264/272, and HKS cam gears, fuel pump. He said he wants to reach 300whp on 91 octane and I told him he should turn the boost up to about 21psi and he'd probably be almost there, somewhere in the 280's. But then he was saying he doesn't want to turn the boost up because it'll mess up his A/F ratios and risk "blowing up his engine" and saying he's already maxing the stock injectors and gets consistent fuel cut. I know a lot of you guys are near 300whp on 91 octane at about 21psi so basically he's full of it. I know he's not maxing the stock injectors and I know there's a lot of evo's out there SAFELY pushing to 21-22psi w/o fuel cut. Can I get some advice on what to tell him (you guys know a lot more than me) and how he can accomplish his goal of 300whp on the stock turbo, injectors, and FMIC.

thanks
Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Look at the Vishnu Dyno4mance days thread and get an idea of some of the mod's alot of us guys are using. Most are running 93octane though.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, it sounds like a "run lean" condition on top of 91 crap-tane would be a bad combo with higher boost. I wouldn't chance it until you've got the fuel supply situation worked out. Even then you have to be concerned about knock on the low octane fuel. Maybe he should look at water injection. I bet he could easily crank up the boost on 91 octane with something like WI to quell the knock activity.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

but don't a lot of people run 20-22psi on 91?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
but don't a lot of people run 20-22psi on 91?
Probably they are but what kind of timing are they running and what are their air/fuel ratios? With the UTEC driving the timing, is the factory knock control out of the loop? If it isn't, monitor knock or watch for timing getting pulled. If there's no evidence of knock then you can probably run higher boost. He's still got to take care of fuel cut and fuel supply situation. He'll be running 100% duty cycle at that boost level on the stock injectors. With my Buschur Stg 3 I think I was hitting 100% around 6500rpm when running at 20-21 psi of boost. I'd have to go back and check some logs to verify.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Try water injection.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Check out this thread by Malibu Jack. It covers some important info regarding boost levels and injector capacity.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67857
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

wow pretty interesting... didn't know running a couple more lbs. could max out the fuel system
Old Oct 5, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

A friend of mine dynoed 263whp/260 tq. on a DD dyno on stock boost. His power mods are: Borla Turboback, UTEC, HKS 264/272, and HKS cam gears, fuel pump. He said he wants to reach 300whp on 91 octane and I told him he should turn the boost up to about 21psi and he'd probably be almost there, somewhere in the 280's. But then he was saying he doesn't want to turn the boost up because it'll mess up his A/F ratios and risk "blowing up his engine" and saying he's already maxing the stock injectors and gets consistent fuel cut. I know a lot of you guys are near 300whp on 91 octane at about 21psi so basically he's full of it. I know he's not maxing the stock injectors and I know there's a lot of evo's out there SAFELY pushing to 21-22psi w/o fuel cut. Can I get some advice on what to tell him (you guys know a lot more than me) and how he can accomplish his goal of 300whp on the stock turbo, injectors, and FMIC.

thanks
Tell him to get rid of that UTEC crap and get an AEM EMS.

Intake, Turboback, and AEM EMS tuned conservatively will give you 300 whp.

Edit: Forgot to add, if he's got Cams and Cam Gears he would be closer to 340 whp with the EMS.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Forbiden

Edit: Forgot to add, if he's got Cams and Cam Gears he would be closer to 340 whp with the EMS.
Don't forget, the original post was dyno'd on a DD dyno.. If it was on a Dynojet, the guy would be pretty close to 340-350awhp.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Check out this thread by Malibu Jack. It covers some important info regarding boost levels and injector capacity.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67857
Good find
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
Don't forget, the original post was dyno'd on a DD dyno.. If it was on a Dynojet, the guy would be pretty close to 340-350awhp.
True
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Forbiden

Do you care to enlighten US how the Utec is crap. DO you have any firsthand experience with the Utec on your Evo.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

thanks
Obviously your friend is not using his Utec to its fullest, because on a stage 1 map it bumps the boost up to 20psi on 91 oct. With the mods he haso n the car he should easily be their. Basically it's all about the tuning after throwing parts into your car.